Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

[Nightlies] Discussion of Nightlies

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
164 replies to this topic

#161 loucipher

loucipher
  • Members
  • 60 posts
  • Device Model:
    g2
  • CM Version:
    N/A
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

So, quick status update and report on the current (build 49, 1-14-2011) version of cm7.  I've installed it, had no problems installing either cm or google apps, no special mounting or crazy instructions required.  Flash CWM 3.0.0.5, flash CM7, flash Google Apps Gingerbread, good to go.  I only encountered one problem.  While wiping /data partition is listed as optional in the instructions, I could not advance through the Google Apps setup until I wiped /data.  Otherwise, when clicking on the droid in the initial setup, it wouldn't do anything, I'd just be stuck at the setup screen.  After wiping, no problems, worked as expected.

So, it works.  That being said, the current build is SLOOOOWWWW in some areas...  Problem #1: ADWLauncher EX 3D transitions are slow as dirt.  Flipping from screen to screen on the homescreen is very slow on 3D transistions (didn't try without, rather go back to CM6. I like my 3D transitions, I intend to keep them).  Seems to be a general rendering issue, as PSX4Droid is also slow as hell (~50% reduction in framerates in FF IX), although this could be an overall speed issue with the experimental build (hard to compare 2D app rendering speed to high-end 3D rendering speed).  Very glad I made a good backup first.

Now, the slow rendering issue seems to have some causes yet to be isolated.  For example, after installing CM7, all was well at first.  While setting up my homescreen, I discovered that adding the new Music widget to the homescreen (while using ADWLauncher EX) slowed 3D homescreen transitions to a crawl.  Removing it fixed this.  However, while going through the CM settings, something I turned on also appears to have slowed it to a crawl in exactly the same manner.  Not sure what yet (just set all the settings as I usually do, haven't had time for process-of-elimination troubleshooting yet), but I hope to find out.

I did make a backup of my CM6 install using CWM 2.5.1.3.  Then I flashed 3.0.0.5, installed CM7, tested it (so far as I was interested, have to use this as my regular phone, after all), and decided to revert to CM6.  As a note to testers, the backup I made with CWM 2.5.1.3 could not be restored with CWM 3.0.0.5.  Not sure if I could restore a backup made with CWM 3.0.0.5 on CM 6.1.1, haven't tried that yet.  Will update when I do.  To revert to 6.1.1 backup, I had to re-flash 2.5.1.3 then restore the backup (3.0.0.5 kept giving me errors about being unable to format /boot partition).  So, for those of you who have regrets about upgrading to the experimental CM7 build, no worries.  Even if you don't have an image for 2.5.1.3 laying about, you can actually use ROM Manager to reflash to 2.5.1.3 (even after you upgrade to 3.0.0.5, ROMManager will still show 2.5.1.3 as the installed and current version).  Just use "Flash Clockwork Recovery MOD".  On mine, it still shows 2.5.1.3 as the current version, so it will re-flash that version from ROM Manager.  If not, you can always find the old 2.5.1.3 with google, load it to your SD card, boot to recovery, and flash the older recovery ROM from there.

All in all, I like what I saw.  Once the 3D rendering issues have been addressed, CM7 will be my new ROM for daily use.  I'd use it now, but, as stated, I like my 3D transitions on the homescreen, and I play a lot of playstation games via psx4droid, so slow rendering is a deal-breaker for now (of course, when I have a dual-core phone and VMWare releases their android virtualization platform so I can run both CM6 and CM7 on the same phone, that will change, can't wait).  If you're looking for a stable, consumer-ready version of Gingerbread, this isn't it (yet!).  Very good for such an early, independent build, but, as mentioned previously, still very much an experimental dev build.  If you like living on the bleeding edge, I encourage you to try it, but make a backup first so you can revert if/when necessary.  I've made backups of both my CM6 install, and my new CM7 install, so I can swap back and forth for normal use or testing, respectively.  I'll do more testing on my day off, see if I can identify the source of the rendering slowdowns, and let everyone know.

So, I'm quite curious as to everyone else's experiences.  Has anyone had problems?  Suggestions, tips, tricks, etc?  Anyone had any luck getting good 3D rendering performance on this build?

***Note***

As someone who's done both development (minor) and software testing (extensive) in a professional environment, I volunteer myself and my G2 for testing (given that I have a verified good backup).  Devs, if I can be of use, let me know.  Always ready to contribute to a project I like and use (so long as it doesn't melt my led :)

Edited by loucipher, 14 January 2011 - 10:42 AM.

#162 YottaByte

YottaByte
  • Donators
  • 155 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2, N1, and G1
  • CM Version:
    CM7 nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info loucipher.

#163 beano311

beano311
  • Donators
  • 28 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Vision/G2
  • CM Version:
    CM Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

View Postloucipher, on 14 January 2011 - 10:32 AM, said:

I did make a backup of my CM6 install using CWM 2.5.1.3.  Then I flashed 3.0.0.5, installed CM7, tested it (so far as I was interested, have to use this as my regular phone, after all), and decided to revert to CM6.  As a note to testers, the backup I made with CWM 2.5.1.3 could not be restored with CWM 3.0.0.5.  Not sure if I could restore a backup made with CWM 3.0.0.5 on CM 6.1.1, haven't tried that yet.  Will update when I do.  To revert to 6.1.1 backup, I had to re-flash 2.5.1.3 then restore the backup (3.0.0.5 kept giving me errors about being unable to format /boot partition).  So, for those of you who have regrets about upgrading to the experimental CM7 build, no worries.  Even if you don't have an image for 2.5.1.3 laying about, you can actually use ROM Manager to reflash to 2.5.1.3 (even after you upgrade to 3.0.0.5, ROMManager will still show 2.5.1.3 as the installed and current version).  Just use "Flash Clockwork Recovery MOD".  On mine, it still shows 2.5.1.3 as the current version, so it will re-flash that version from ROM Manager.  If not, you can always find the old 2.5.1.3 with google, load it to your SD card, boot to recovery, and flash the older recovery ROM from there.

I've been using CM7 nightlies for a while now, updating every day or every other... if you want to flash your old CM6 backup, you should have read through the comments because it was already explained. What you have to do is download the CM6.1.1 zip, wipe everything, then flash the CM6.1.1 ROM. Then, do a full reboot into the OS to make sure you can boot okay. Then, reboot to recovery (you should be using Clockwork 3.0.0.5) go to Restore, then Advanced Restore. Then, pick restore /system, then restore /data, then restore cache and dalvik if you want. You should be up and running if you do it like that.
Also, I don't know what's wrong with your 3D rendering, but mine is fine. At least Dungeon Defenders runs smooth on full settings.
The only bugs I see: random reboots (very rare, reboots consistently when enabling wifi tether for a second time without rebooting between starts), backlight doesn't always turn on if the screen brightness is set to 0 or around zero and you try to turn the screen back on, AdFree seems to have stopped working (I've even tried manually setting the hosts file and it still doesn't block any ads online or in apps), and if you're in a text field (like the comment entry field on a forum) and you're typing on the lowest line, it's very hard to get the cursor to move to it if you move away from it (a little confusing to explain)... what's missing that i'd like to see return is status bar tweaks, like battery percentage and signal strength.

Edited by beano311, 16 January 2011 - 06:12 PM.

#164 pdubs10

pdubs10
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2
  • CM Version:
    CM7-nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

View Postbeano311, on 16 January 2011 - 04:07 PM, said:

backlight doesn't always turn on
That's due to overclocking AFAIK. I was able to get rid of the issue by backing down the OC to 1GHz.

#165 brett123

brett123
  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Twitter:reardon_brett
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus GSM
  • CM Version:
    CM9 RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:49 PM

Vendor passion (N1) just got its first CM7 nightly... anyone know when the Vision will be getting it? Can't be long now... hopefully