Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Updating Nightlies

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jspencer87

jspencer87
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1 RC
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

I am running 6.1 RC and have run several nightlies before the RC all installing and running perfectly.  The last couple days i have tried installing a nightly (245 and 249), they completed successfully but when the phone boots all of the gapps are missing from system and even a few other apps are missing from data.  Most of my widgets are broken and all of my contacts and calender entries are gone.  The only thing i can think of that might be causing this is the Wifi calling mod that i installed from XDA.  For now i have just used a nandroid backup back to the RC.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 danger-rat

danger-rat
  • Donators
  • 602 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    N1
  • CM Version:
    Latest nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

I think it's a problem with nightlies themselves...  Check out the nightlies thread.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

#3 pconwell

pconwell

It's okay, I'm from the Internet.

• Donators
  • 360 posts
  • Twitter:pconwell
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus
  • CM Version:
    Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

hrm...

That's odd, for sure. Do you know if the apps are actually missing? I mean, did you look in /system/app, and /data/app to see if the files are there?

#4 jspencer87

jspencer87
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1 RC
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

View Postpconwell, on 16 November 2010 - 04:41 PM, said:

hrm...

That's odd, for sure. Do you know if the apps are actually missing? I mean, did you look in /system/app, and /data/app to see if the files are there?

Using ES File Explorer I was unable to find any of the missing apps in either location.  Next time I try updating I will try looking for them using the shell.

#5 dwiser

dwiser
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    CM Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

For some reason this would happen to me constantly when I flashed using Rom Manager even if I selected to DL/flash Gapps after the nightly. Now I just use RM to download the nightlies and boot into recovery where I can flash them manually and I have no problem with Google Apps anymore.

#6 joe.attaboy

joe.attaboy
  • Donators
  • 57 posts
  • Twitter:@joe_dougherty
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    CM7-RC4
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:21 PM

I have been flashing nightlies to my Nexus for some time now (at least since CM 6.0 was released), and I have never had any issues with apps getting deleted. Frankly, I've never had any issues with the nightlies, period.

I use Clockwork ROM for recovery, and discovered that downloading and flashing everything manually was quick, easy and problem-free. The worst thing I experienced was the occasional nightly that would drain my battery a bit faster. That's usually cleared up in the next build.

Here's what I do:

1. Open and bookmark the pages with the nightlies and other updates (GApps and radio updates).
2. Download the files to the /sdcard/download directory.
3. Reboot to recovery.
4. Wipe cache. Go to advanced.
5. Wipe Dalvik cache and battery stats.
6. Reboot to recovery.
7. Flash the ROM.
8. Reboot.
9. Live a wonderful and productive life.

#7 jspencer87

jspencer87
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1 RC
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

View Postjoe.attaboy, on 17 November 2010 - 05:21 PM, said:

I have been flashing nightlies to my Nexus for some time now (at least since CM 6.0 was released), and I have never had any issues with apps getting deleted. Frankly, I've never had any issues with the nightlies, period.

I use Clockwork ROM for recovery, and discovered that downloading and flashing everything manually was quick, easy and problem-free. The worst thing I experienced was the occasional nightly that would drain my battery a bit faster. That's usually cleared up in the next build.

Here's what I do:

1. Open and bookmark the pages with the nightlies and other updates (GApps and radio updates).
2. Download the files to the /sdcard/download directory.
3. Reboot to recovery.
4. Wipe cache. Go to advanced.
5. Wipe Dalvik cache and battery stats.
6. Reboot to recovery.
7. Flash the ROM.
8. Reboot.
9. Live a wonderful and productive life.

I appreciate the help but i also have been flashing nightlies for some time, just not very recently, and know how to do it and has always worked out perfectly.  My problem is not how to flash them correctly but when i do flash them, apps disappear, widgets are broken, and all contacts and all calender entries disappear.  I know that i can simply back them up and restore them but these are only the problems i have noticed, there could be countless other problems that simply haven't surfaced.  A nightly doing this is not normal behavior and unfortunately it seems to be limited to my device at this extent.

#8 pconwell

pconwell

It's okay, I'm from the Internet.

• Donators
  • 360 posts
  • Twitter:pconwell
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus
  • CM Version:
    Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

What hboot do you have? I think some people were talking about issues with the Korean hboot .35, vs the stock .33.

#9 jspencer87

jspencer87
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1 RC
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

View Postpconwell, on 17 November 2010 - 06:42 PM, said:

What hboot do you have? I think some people were talking about issues with the Korean hboot .35, vs the stock .33.
I have the stock .33 hboot.

#10 davenull

davenull
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
    Nightly Builds, God knows which one...
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

View Postjspencer87, on 17 November 2010 - 05:41 PM, said:

I appreciate the help but i also have been flashing nightlies for some time, just not very recently, and know how to do it and has always worked out perfectly.  My problem is not how to flash them correctly but when i do flash them, apps disappear, widgets are broken, and all contacts and all calender entries disappear.  I know that i can simply back them up and restore them but these are only the problems i have noticed, there could be countless other problems that simply haven't surfaced.  A nightly doing this is not normal behavior and unfortunately it seems to be limited to my device at this extent.

His point is that ROM Manager flashes things differently than downloading the rom directly via browser. Its something that started a while back. You use ROM manager and you have a very good chance of not having a properly working nightly install. You use the browser, it works perfectly as expected.

#11 jspencer87

jspencer87
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1 RC
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:19 PM

View Postdavenull, on 17 November 2010 - 08:01 PM, said:

His point is that ROM Manager flashes things differently than downloading the rom directly via browser. Its something that started a while back. You use ROM manager and you have a very good chance of not having a properly working nightly install. You use the browser, it works perfectly as expected.

Oh ok.  I was confused as I always have used the amon_ra recovery to flash the zip from the website and am unfamiliar with clockwork.