Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

[~SOLVED] Problem: Can't mount sd-ext

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ScottHW

ScottHW
  • Members
  • 81 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire
  • CM Version:
    CM-6.1.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

SOLVED:  This was fixed by adding and using e2fsck, see the link in post #3.  I had issues using adb push to install the tools, see the CyanogenMod thread.  I do NOT believe the parted files he linked were intended to be used on ext4, so YMMV, but it did convert my fscked up ext4 partition to a over-writable ext2.

(Also posted on XDA:  http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?p=9374439)

I am having a problem with my sd-ext partition being unable to mount.  After a relatively routine procedure, I suddenly have this problem (below), for example when I tried to Nandroid Restore my sd-ext partition.
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(File exists)

Setup: HTC Desire;  HBOOT 0.93,  S-ON;  ClockworkMod;  CyanogenMod-6.0.2;  DTapps2sd

I was trying the relatively simple procedure of removing a couple of system Apps, according to the instructions on the CyanogenMod Wiki:Barebones.
I had minor problems with capitalization since I'm using Windows.

I removed Calculator, Email, and Calendar.  Upon restart, all of my Apps are gone, except the few system apps and GApps that were not moved via dtapps2sd.

The phone still "works", I can send/receive SMS, make calls etc., but it's pretty highly crippled.

I've tried a Nandroid Restore, but it gives this message above (as did my attempt to do a Nandroid Backup).

The dtapps2sd "repair" command gave the same result.

I tried to wipe and reflash CyanogenMod, which worked (in that it did re-flash).  But when I tried to then Restore, I got the same "Can't mount" problem.

I also tried the following fastboot command I found in another thread, with no effect
fastboot oem enableqxdm 0
fastboot reboot

I have noticed that whey I use Terminal Emulator, the Permissions on mmcblk0p2 don't match the other blocks.  Could this be related?  Sadly, my Linux karate is weak :/
$ cd /dev/block
$ ls -al
brw------ .. .. .. .. .. mmcblk0p1
brw-r--r--.. .. .. .. .. mmcblk0p2
brw------ .. .. .. .. .. mmcblk0p1

I guess I haven't yet tried the HTC RUU, which is always a possible fallback.  Or I could try to flash a stock PB99IMG.ZIP file.  But those seem like just a generic "solution" that doesn't really involve any understanding.  And it certainly doesn't help others with this same problem, or to figure out what I did to create this problem, so others could avoid that.

Edited by ScottHW, 23 November 2010 - 08:46 PM.

#2 ScottHW

ScottHW
  • Members
  • 81 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire
  • CM Version:
    CM-6.1.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

Since there's no Replies here, and only 11 Views, I'm going to carry on the discussion over at XDA (see the link above)

I would still really appreciate any help from any CM ninjas, so drop me your thoughts here or there.  Thanks in advance.

I'll be sure to cross-post any findings here, as well.

#3 pconwell

pconwell

It's okay, I'm from the Internet.

• Donators
  • 360 posts
  • Twitter:pconwell
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus
  • CM Version:
    Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:33 PM

Was your routine procedure to update to CM 6? If not, what were you doing?

EDIT:From XDA thread:

UPDATE:
Actually, I could only do adb push for the fiiles parted et al. after I had rebooted into CWM Recovery.  When I rebooted normally, now the files are gone.  I suppose this has something to do with the fact that I am still S-ON, since when the adb push failed, I got a response like "... read-only file system"
More Info:
I just did adb pull /etc/fstab.  It looks like this
First, it has nothing to do with S-ON, that only affects fastboot. Next, there are two different fstabs, one for /system, and one for /recovery.

To make /system writeable, you need to remount it with either adb remount, or mount -o rw,remount /system

EDIT2: Why are you using apps2SD anyway? Do you actually need it, or just because you can? And swap? Do you need it too.

I would recommend that unless you have a REALLY good reason to use apps2SD, swap, and/or compcache, DON'T use them.

#4 ScottHW

ScottHW
  • Members
  • 81 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire
  • CM Version:
    CM-6.1.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

View Postpconwell, on 23 November 2010 - 05:33 PM, said:

Was your routine procedure to update to CM 6? If not, what were you doing?
My routine procedure was trying to remove a couple of benign pre-loaded apps; Perhaps you already noticed that I had that described in the OP.

EDIT:From XDA thread:
First, it has nothing to do with S-ON, that only affects fastboot. Next, there are two different fstabs, one for /system, and one for /recovery.

To make /system writeable, you need to remount it with either adb remount, or mount -o rw,remount /system
These are all things I did not know.

Interesting.  So, which fstab did I get, then? I'm pretty sure I pulled it from the CWM Recovery.
I'll double-check, but IIRC, when I was booted "normal", I had no /etc/fstab file at all.  Is there somewhere else I should be looking?
UPDATE:  Yep.  When the phone is booted normally, (looking with ls -al confirms the file isn't there)
C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb pull /etc/fstab 
remote object '/etc/fstab' does not exist

I will try to use one of the mount commands to adb push those files and see if they stay put.
UPDATE:  FAIL.  See next post

EDIT2: Why are you using apps2SD anyway? Do you actually need it, or just because you can? And swap? Do you need it too.

I would recommend that unless you have a REALLY good reason to use apps2SD, swap, and/or compcache, DON'T use them.
In fact, I used dtapps2sd because I was getting "Low Memory" warnings, had something like 3MB left.

I do appreciate the sentiment about not using it unless "necessary", but that doesn't further my understanding of what's going on HERE, or how to help others specifically avoid similar problems.  Or help DarkTremor improve the script, for that matter.  I guess I'm really trying to determine if dtapps2sd is really part of the Cause.  If so, we'll need to make some kind of note on the CM Wiki:Barebones page.

At this point I'm not really whining about "Unbrick me!!!1!", but rather trying to learn the tools that help diagnose and fix a problem.
While re-flashing CM didn't make this go away, I still think that an RUU would solve all this in a snap.  But no learning.

Edited by ScottHW, 23 November 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#5 ScottHW

ScottHW
  • Members
  • 81 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire
  • CM Version:
    CM-6.1.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

(DISCLAIMER: I am using Windows. Just like most of the rest of the world.  I realize that may be relevant, but I don't feel I should just be dismissed because of it)

I've had slight disagreements with similar suggestions before.  Actually, it was the problem of not being able to remove Apps from /system in the first place that started this whole mess.

Anyway, here are my results:
C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb remount
remount succeeded

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push parted /sbin
failed to copy 'parted' to '/sbin/parted': Read-only file system

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell mount -o rw,remount /system

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push parted /sbin
failed to copy 'parted' to '/sbin/parted': Read-only file system

Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by ScottHW, 23 November 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#6 pconwell

pconwell

• Donators
  • 360 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus
  • CM Version:
    Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

Do you have the GSM or CDMA version of the desire?

If you have GSM, check this page out: http://alpharev.nl/

I've gotta go to work, so I can't read too much of it, but check it out and I'll look at it more and post more later.

#7 ScottHW

ScottHW
  • Members
  • 81 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire
  • CM Version:
    CM-6.1.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

SOLVED, more or less.

Check my more extensive discussion over at XDA
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?p=9374439

#8 pconwell

pconwell

• Donators
  • 360 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus
  • CM Version:
    Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:14 AM

I'm glad you fixed the problem. I would suggest that you follow that website I gave you though, so you can fix the underlying problem and do away with apps two sd anyway.

The desire has a huge system partition, but a really small data partition. Installing a custom h boot fixes this, meaning you shouldn't get the low memory message any more.

#9 ScottHW

ScottHW
  • Members
  • 81 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire
  • CM Version:
    CM-6.1.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

More follow-up on this:  no offense, but I'm not sure that is strictly correct.  Or rather, there may be device-specific issues that make those instructions non-Universal.

See more over at this XDA thread:
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?p=9433659

Lennyuk says "You can only write to system on the desire via adb from recovery."

Daelyn says "There is no write access to /system partition yet, except via a overlay file system", but it is a Desire-specific forum

#10 pconwell

pconwell

• Donators
  • 360 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus
  • CM Version:
    Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

View PostScottHW, on 26 November 2010 - 04:17 PM, said:

More follow-up on this:  no offense, but I'm not sure that is strictly correct.  Or rather, there may be device-specific issues that make those instructions non-Universal.

See more over at this XDA thread:
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?p=9433659

Lennyuk says "You can only write to system on the desire via adb from recovery."

Daelyn says "There is no write access to /system partition yet, except via a overlay file system", but it is a Desire-specific forum
Yeah, I guess the desire is only writable from recovery - even when rooted. I don't own a desire, so I cannot confirm, but on every other devices (when rooted), the instructions I gave are valid.

#11 georgi01

georgi01
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire
  • CM Version:
    GSM
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

hy guys,

i have a problem for you, i just root my hatc desire and i put Cyanogen costume rom 6.1 on it.
the problem is first, a lot of fonction of ht sense desipear, google maps, android market... second,
my sd card crshed, she dosen't work and the cell phone tell me to format here but i try to make it and it
dosen't work!! wath should i do ????