Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

2708 Kernel question and help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC/Dream
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:29 AM

I have a G1
PVT 32b
HBoot 1.33.2005
Radio 2.22.23.02

About Phone Displays
Android Version 2.2.1
Kernel 2.6.35.9-cyanogenmod
Mod Version cyanogenmod 6.1.0.DS
Build FRG83

I just upgraded to the 6.1.0 DS the other day and when doing so noticed the references to 2708 Kernel.
Apparently there are some advantages to the kernel and there are much newer radios than I have, which I assume have improved performance over my current radio.

This is where I need some help, instructions, guidance...okay a kick in the head.

In reading this post, http://forum.cyanoge...r-new-radiospl/

It tells me to go to this post on XDA, http://forum.xda-dev...790&postcount=1 , to get
radio 2.22.27.08 or 2.22.28.25 and HBOOT 1.33.0013 or 1.33.0013d installed.

Well the XDA post in the files section says I need the following"
------------------------------------------snip-----------------------------------------------
From dream_2708kit.zip (mirrors):
> hboot-1.33.0013d.img (MD5: c35ff1159828a6186cb98a9cfaa81613)
> radio-2.22.27.08.img (MD5: 61aee7fd274d39ca85644286f231836e)

> EBI0 Recovery:
Dream: recovery-RA-dream-v1.7.0-cyan.img (MD5: 11ae63afee9813a9b76cb3f7fd5ac2ad) from here
32b Magic: recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0G-cyan.img (MD5: 8846b53e3184d688e3e8a628ad81074f) from here

> Any Kernel installer (Only if you are not using a rom containing a 2708+ kernel) [choose 1]:

ezBiffTestKernel20101106-2708_S.zip (MD5: 79c3634b8b691646735dc55d77cec714)
    (for source code see this commit .. specifically its this patch) based of my 20101031 kernel.

ez-nightly236-cm-2708port_S.zip and other CM6.1nightly kernels. (source code and additional information on the CM Forum post)
    CM-6.1-final uses the same code as the 271 nightly so install it after installing the rom and before rebooting. Note: if you find more than this line green with that kernel try 251, my 20101106 or pershoots kernels.

The most recent pershoot kernels also support the additional ram.

(Note: Any other 2708 ported kernels, or roms with such a kernel can be used without the above port files)
---------------------------------------------snip-----------------------------------------------------

So my questions in order are:

1) From the XDA it says the dream_2708kit.zip contains a radio ending in .08 but according to the Cyanogenmod post by XDAterry there is a 2.22.28.25 radio, so will either work with either Hboot? and if so Is the .25 a newer radio and any better?

2) then the XDA post says I need RA-dream-v1.7.0, I have an Amon Ra recovery on here how do I tell which version I am booting into?

3) The XDA post then says a "kernel installer" and mentions a Cyanogen mod 2708 port (?)  ez-nightly236-cm-2708port_S.zip and other CM6.1 nightly kernels. (source code and additional information on the CM Forum post)
so is this the lastest? is it a "kernel installer", what is the process to install this file?  The linked page on XDA comes to Cyanogenmod forums that is dated Nov 10th, 2010 so I am not sure this is the most current.

4) the next line in the XDA post says "CM-6.1-final uses the same code as the 271 nightly so install it after installing the rom and before rebooting."  what the hell does this mean? I have the 6.1.0 DS mod installed does this mean I don't need the ez-nightly236-cm-2708port-s.zip ?

Please if anyone has written a complete posting about this sequence and requirements please let me know and please let me know if there is any reason for or against updating to the 2708 Kernel at this time.

Thanks in advance.

#2 chinly43

chinly43
  • Members
  • 90 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
    Nightly 77 for now
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

View Postmikenola, on 28 December 2010 - 05:29 AM, said:

1) From the XDA it says the dream_2708kit.zip contains a radio ending in .08 but according to the Cyanogenmod post by XDAterry there is a 2.22.28.25 radio, so will either work with either Hboot? and if so Is the .25 a newer radio and any better?

2) then the XDA post says I need RA-dream-v1.7.0, I have an Amon Ra recovery on here how do I tell which version I am booting into?

3) The XDA post then says a "kernel installer" and mentions a Cyanogen mod 2708 port (?)  ez-nightly236-cm-2708port_S.zip and other CM6.1 nightly kernels. (source code and additional information on the CM Forum post)
so is this the lastest? is it a "kernel installer", what is the process to install this file?  The linked page on XDA comes to Cyanogenmod forums that is dated Nov 10th, 2010 so I am not sure this is the most current.

4) the next line in the XDA post says "CM-6.1-final uses the same code as the 271 nightly so install it after installing the rom and before rebooting."  what the hell does this mean? I have the 6.1.0 DS mod installed does this mean I don't need the ez-nightly236-cm-2708port-s.zip ?

Please if anyone has written a complete posting about this sequence and requirements please let me know and please let me know if there is any reason for or against updating to the 2708 Kernel at this time.

Thanks in advance.

1)  The newer radio (28.25 instead of 27.08) has "newer security features" if I remember right; then again, I might be entirely wrong about that.  Both 2825 and 2708 give the additional available RAM that's the main reason to do this at all.  I'd say you might as well use the newest one from the start; as you likely saw in the xda post, it's a separate download because that post was written before 2825 was available.  The instructions remain the same regardless of which is used, substituting the newer radio file name for the older one wherever it's found.

2)  Amon-Ra, when booted into, tells you its version (or "Build" number) at the bottom of the main recovery screen.  Hold down home while powering on.

3)  A kernel installer here is referring to a zipped, installable kernel.  Whatever kernel is used needs to be labeled "2708-compatible" in order to work with the additional RAM being freed by the radio upgrade.

The standard version of 6.1-stable does *not* come with a 2708-compatible kernel, so when flashing a ROM after the radio upgrade, you must either (A) use the version found here - http://forum.cyanoge...dpost__p__99405 - which is "ported" (i.e., made compatible with) the new radio, or (-B-) flash a new kernel AFTER flashing the regular ROM.  Many compatible kernels can be found in the links in this thread -http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/12366-kernel-testing-results/page__p__104929#entry104929 - in which I benchmarked the 2708-compatible kernels available at the time.  I HIGHLY recommend the BiffTestMod-1106 flashed after the standard ROM for the best combination of performance and battery life.

4)  Although that link is labeled as a zip file, "ez-nightly236-cm-2708port-s.zip" is actually a link to ezterry's kernel post, wherein many 2708-compatible kernels can be found.  The line in question is saying that the kernel in 6.1-stable is the exact same kernel as is in 6.1-nightly-build-271.  Don't think about this line too much; you will still need to follow the outline in my point number 3 from this post.

The instructions in that xda post are correct, and are the best ones to follow.  If you're still finding it challenging, that's fine, post here again and I'll try to help further.

Edited by chinly43, 28 December 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#3 chinly43

chinly43
  • Members
  • 90 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
    Nightly 77 for now
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:36 PM

How did it go?

#4 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC/Dream
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

View Postchinly43, on 28 December 2010 - 08:36 PM, said:

How did it go?

Chinly43,, thank you for the clarification above it is much appreciated and useful. I have not had a chance yet to go through it. I hit another stumbling block.

The Amon Ra I have is the 1.70 but for some reason when I try and issue a fastboot flash radio command it just hangs.

I have the downloaded zip and the uncompressed .img files at the root of my sdcard and also on my c drive in a folder called 2708.

The pc is win 7 with adb and fastboot installed.

I issue a fastboot devices command and I get my phone etc. no problem

issuing fastboot flash radio /sdcard/radio-2.22.27.08.img tells me it can't find a radio image

issuing fastboot flash radio c:\2708\radio-2.22.27.08.img says sending.... and then hangs there for hours on end. I let it try overnight for  8 hours and no luck. the same is true for the HBoot image.

I have also tried fastboot flash without "radio" and just issuing path and file name, no luck.

as far as I know I cannot use adb push or pull to get the radio or hboot image installed (and would not know the correct path anyway) so I am trying to figure out why the fastboot is not working.

I am not sure if the Amon Ra 1.70 I have installed properly as I have never had to use fastboot. The version has been on here since before i moved to CY 6.0 a few months ago.

I believe I can adb #flash_image recovery recovery-blah-blah-blah to install the 1.70 again, and maybe then fastboot will work.

I looked at the catlog and saw no errors but I did not print it out. I will do so if putting on a new copy of the amon ra does not let me use fastboot successfully.

I really appreciate your response. I will post what I find out and how I ended up there.

Mike

Edited by mikenola, 29 December 2010 - 01:56 AM.

#5 chinly43

chinly43
  • Members
  • 90 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
    Nightly 77 for now
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:46 AM

Damn!  My shoddy internet connection ate my post.  Oh well, I can be more succinct this time as a result, I guess -

I might be reading you wrong in the above post, but it sounds like you're trying to run fastboot commands while in recovery; you need to be in fastboot mode, which you get to by holding the camera button (on the side of the device) while powering on.  There will be an instruction on the screen, then, on a button to press to enter fastboot (I think it's "back", but I can't remember exactly - whichever it is, I usually had to press it twice).  

Hopefully that's the problem?  

-John

#6 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC/Dream
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

View Postchinly43, on 29 December 2010 - 02:46 AM, said:

Damn!  My shoddy internet connection ate my post.  Oh well, I can be more succinct this time as a result, I guess -

I might be reading you wrong in the above post, but it sounds like you're trying to run fastboot commands while in recovery; you need to be in fastboot mode, which you get to by holding the camera button (on the side of the device) while powering on.  There will be an instruction on the screen, then, on a button to press to enter fastboot (I think it's "back", but I can't remember exactly - whichever it is, I usually had to press it twice).  

Hopefully that's the problem?  

-John

thanks john but that was not the problem. What I found was that on my PC i had previously installed Easy Tether, (I did this during a mod that wifi tether failed to work and I need to re-download a new apk but I was in a spot that I did not have wifi or network access for the laptop) anyway I had left it running on the pc and fastboot does not like it.

Disabling Easy Tether allowed fastboot to work as it was supposed to. whew! I felt like a dork, but was very glad that the solution was not too difficult to uncover.

#7 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC/Dream
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

View Postchinly43, on 28 December 2010 - 04:18 PM, said:

1)  The newer radio (28.25 instead of 27.08) has "newer security features" if I remember right; then again, I might be entirely wrong about that.  Both 2825 and 2708 give the additional available RAM that's the main reason to do this at all.  I'd say you might as well use the newest one from the start; as you likely saw in the xda post, it's a separate download because that post was written before 2825 was available.  The instructions remain the same regardless of which is used, substituting the newer radio file name for the older one wherever it's found.

2)  Amon-Ra, when booted into, tells you its version (or "Build" number) at the bottom of the main recovery screen.  Hold down home while powering on.

3)  A kernel installer here is referring to a zipped, installable kernel.  Whatever kernel is used needs to be labeled "2708-compatible" in order to work with the additional RAM being freed by the radio upgrade.

The standard version of 6.1-stable does *not* come with a 2708-compatible kernel, so when flashing a ROM after the radio upgrade, you must either (A) use the version found here - http://forum.cyanoge...dpost__p__99405 - which is "ported" (i.e., made compatible with) the new radio, or (-B-) flash a new kernel AFTER flashing the regular ROM.  Many compatible kernels can be found in the links in this thread -http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/12366-kernel-testing-results/page__p__104929#entry104929 - in which I benchmarked the 2708-compatible kernels available at the time.  I HIGHLY recommend the BiffTestMod-1106 flashed after the standard ROM for the best combination of performance and battery life.

4)  Although that link is labeled as a zip file, "ez-nightly236-cm-2708port-s.zip" is actually a link to ezterry's kernel post, wherein many 2708-compatible kernels can be found.  The line in question is saying that the kernel in 6.1-stable is the exact same kernel as is in 6.1-nightly-build-271.  Don't think about this line too much; you will still need to follow the outline in my point number 3 from this post.

The instructions in that xda post are correct, and are the best ones to follow.  If you're still finding it challenging, that's fine, post here again and I'll try to help further.

Chinley43,

I finally got time to use your information and do the update and in the process horked my phone up a bit. It was certainly my own fault in trying to follow all the instructions.

I just wanted to thank you again for the clarification. I will post the steps and the experience in a separate entry, hopefully it will help others in avoiding having the confusion I did.

Thank you

Mike

#8 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC/Dream
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:28 AM

After getting help from Chinly43 on understanding the process/wording and fixing my fastboot problem I have finally gotten the 2708 Kernel and radio installed and CM 6.1 2780 port on my phone.

The steps outlined in these two posts worked, it was my own lack of understanding the created the challenge.

http://forum.cyanoge...r-new-radiospl/

http://forum.xda-dev...790&postcount=1

On Nov 8, 2010 Ezterry posted the steps on cyanogenmod at the link above

The are:

----------------------------snip-------------------------
NOTE: the new kernel in this port only works on 32B devices.

NOTICE: The cm6.1 stable version of this port is here

Here is a clean port for CM6.1-RC1 to the new radio (include CM kernel not my own, but if you wish to try mine get after install my 2708 anykernel will work)

Installation is simple:

1) Download update-cm-6.1.0-RC1-DS-2708port_S.zip
2) Download GAPPS tiny
3) Push both files onto the root of your SD card
4) If you do not already have radio 2.22.27.08 or 2.22.28.25 and HBOOT 1.33.0013 or 1.33.0013d installed see This post on XDA (return here when it asks you to install a rom)
5) Wipe if needed
6) Flash update-cm-6.1.0-RC1-DS-2708port_S.zip
7) Flash GAPPS
8) reboot and enjoy the rom.

note: his post has more info at the bottom of it, but these are his steps.

-----------------end snip--------------------------------------

steps 1, 2 and 3 are pretty plain except making sure that you have the latest 2708 stable port from Cyanogenmod.
This came into question because the XDA link in step 4 references these two files:

ezBiffTestKernel20101106-2708_S.zip

and

ez-nightly236-cm-2708port_S.zip and other CM6.1nightly kernels.

but calls them Kernel Installers.

I was not sure what a "kernel installer" was, by that title it sounds like it is a special rom that needs specific instructions to install.

IT DOESN'T!

You install it just like any other rom through the recovery tool you have installed.

I happen to have Amon Ra 1.7 and have no idea how the others might work.

Step 4 is the issue of having the new radio (that makes the extra 15mb of space on system available to you)

This caused me a bit of head scratching because my fastboot on the pc was not functioning properly.

If I booted into fastboot (power + camera buttons at the same time) and connected to pc via usb cable, the pc "saw" the phone and the phone changed status from Hboot to Fastboot.

If I issued the fastboot devices command at a command prompt it told me my device name, etc.

If I issued the fastboot command referenced in the XDA article (fastboot flash radio radio-2.22.27.08.img OR
fastboot flash hboot hboot-1.33.0013d.img) it just hung up.

The reason turned out to be that I had previously installed Easy Tether on that PC. Easy Tether and Fastboot don't play well together. Once I disabled Easy tether Fastboot worked great and got the files instantly.

I then flashed the cm 2780 port zip and rebooted.

A couple of things to note:

to utilize the features of the new radio and hboot you need to install a CM version with the 2708 port in the name.
you want to get the NEWEST version possible.

The XDA site references the ez_nightly236_cm_2708port_s.zip as a "kernel installer", don't let this confuse you!.
The actual link is to

http://sandbox.devnu.../cyanogenmod/  

which is the dev sandbox. Find the latest version there of the 2708 ports. The newest build date as of today is 6 dec 2010, use that file.

Calling it a "kernel installer" had me worried that there was something "extra" about it or some extra steps that might be needed that I did not know about.

when installing this you do get a set of options (yes/no) with a warning message about the radio and hboot, that is by design. Say yes if you have installed them. I don't know what the "no" option does because I had the radio and hboot. I don't know which component creates those green lines and frankly was not worried about it.

I did not install the Gapps tiny as mine stayed. I think it is because I have all that stuff on my sdcard with my other apps.

I also put both the "new" radio versions on my sd card to make sure I had them in case of some odd failure. They both seem to work after I corrected a couple other things. I will post them in the next section about my experience so far with the 2708 port.

Hopefully this long winded post will help someone else understand the instructions that others have created and not be confused like I was.

Thanks

Mike

#9 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC/Dream
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

Experience so far with the 2708 port and new radio and hboot. This is as of 12/31/10

I typically use my G1 more for text, web browsing and tethering as I have several clients who don't allow internet access anywhere near their business files.

I live in New Orleans and some of the locals are a bit ass backwards and paranoid about "internet crime" and "hacking" of their business files. Go figure, they won't pay for firewalls, anti-virus or any type of real security but allow sneaker-net updating and my cell phone.

the wireless tether has come in very handy for me on many occasions and I do it often, much to TMO's consternation as I am on the mega-loyalty plan with UNLIMITED data and they hate it when I exceed their definition of unlimited.

(They also hate that I have the personal emails of the board of directors and have used them, OFTEN, when tmo reps try and say I have gone over the unlimited data limit.. It is very entertaining for me, not so much for them. :P :P :P )

Anyway, I also contend with many historic buildings with 18 inch thick walls that are abominable for radio waves and cell calls.

I have also installed both of the radio zips on my sdcard to switch between them if i need to. The update zips for both are on this xda post at the bottom

http://forum.xda-dev...790&postcount=1

I have noticed though that if I switch radios I have to reinstall the Wireless tether apk.

I currently use wireless_tether_2.0.5.apk for the nexus from this site http://code.google.c...id-wifi-tether/ The grid there lists it as Google Nexus One.  If you also use wireless tethering with this app make sure you uninstall the current version completely and then re-install it on the new 2708 rom or wireless tethering won't work for your pc's that were previously connected. The same goes true if you choose to use the newer Nexus One version that I did, the system does not like having the old information that is left over if you don't uninstall manually.

Now to the actual performance of the new radio and the cm 2708 port.

I have settled in my mind that the 2.22.28.25 radio performs here in my area best.

Once the new rom and radio were installed i got the "H" and could get a consistent -110db signal, but the H flashed over to 3G constantly and my speeds were not consistent enough to be a measurable improvement inside or outside.

I moded the build.prop file heavily to include these settings, and no I don't claim to know what all of the are for. The bolded items are the most common mods for the build.prop that I have found on the net, but adding in the others seems to help throughput significantly.

ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
ro.ril.hsupa.category=9
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=34
ro.ril.enable.sdr=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449
ro.ril.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.agps.feature=1
ro.ril.def.agps.mode=3
ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=1
ro.ril.disable.fd.plmn.prefix=23402,23410,23411
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.enable.gea3=1

ro.ril.enable.cnap=1
ro.ril.enable.cnap=1
ro.ril.enable.regucid=1
ro.ril.enable.nitz=1
ro.ril.enable.network_identify=1
ro.ril.enable.ucsq=1
ro.ril.emc.mode=1
ro.ril.ucsq.mode=1
ro.ril.qos.traffic.class=14
ro.ril.enable.enhance.nws=1
ro.ril.enable.homezone=1
ro.ril.enable.ncell.ind=1
ro.ril.enable.managed.roaming=1
ro.ril.enhance.htcdis=1
ro.ril.enable.tim.feature=1
ro.ril.enable.korea.stk=1
ro.ril.enable.hsupaind=1
ro.ril.enable.dcm.feature=1
ro.ril.enable.vt=1
ro.ril.enable.regucid=1
ro.ril.enable.hsdpaind=1
ro.ril.qos.traffic.priority=1
ro.ril.always.laccid=1

I now have a pretty consistent "H" when indoors at most places and a -89db signal.

I have measured throughput in a few different ways.

With the speed test app in market
with the network speed app in market
by actual downloads of large files
by streaming videos from places like youtube, cnn, etc.

(as a note about speed testing for the less technical, if you use your phones browser(s) to check speed at speedtest.net or one of the other sites, please note that your browser actually affects the download speeds achieved. For example Opera will show a really fast speed but that is because of the way they cache the file you are testing, where as Dolphin will actually limit your test to its rate of display in its code. Just an fyi. )

To the phone I get between 350Kbps to 450Kbps during downloads or streaming video but on completion it jumps back to 3G and about 50kbps, there is also a short lag when a file starts to when the "H" kicks in.

The wireless tether throughput however was spotty at best. I could reach as high as 2Mbps but only for a very short time and it would bounce between that speed and as low as 7Kbps constantly making it pretty unusable for getting data or internet to a pc. Part of this is of course because of the buildings and getting a good signal but another part is the wireless tether program settings and the wireless modem in my laptop, which is an Atheros and is amazing on N tier wifi but sucks on B node.

I then tried the built in wired tethering from cyanogenmod and I am extremely pleased.

I consistently get throughput values to the pc of  6Mbps to the desktop which is fantastic. I did have to get an USB cable extender to get the phone to where I got a good "H" and -89db signal.

It does seem that the larger the file the higher consistency I get once the "H" locks on, and of course that assumes that the signal strength stays at -89db. I have been able to download a 150MB video in under a minute as well as a 330MB zipped file in just over 2 minutes. I can stream vids from youtube/cnn/msnbc with no hitches or pauses that under plain 3g would take for ever.

I am not crazy about the boot time or launcher time after reboot but once it stabilizes it is pretty quick.

I have noticed that certain widgets will download and install but on reboot the icon disappears and I have to reinstall them, but they were just network speed widgets so I found other solutions.

I have also noticed that after reboot the launcher lag is very noticeable and I get FC's if I don't let it stabilize for a couple of minutes.

Other than those little things the 2708 port is well worth it for me and I am really hoping that a G1 Gingerbread (froyo 2.3) rom becomes available.

UPDATE:
I was looking around the build.props posted on line and I ran across this in several places, so I looked some more trying to find a "known" setting for the 4G speeds.

# 0 => WCDMA preferred.
ro.telephony.default_network=0

As usual there is a LOT of information but no definitive definition (that I can find) of what each of the valid build.prop settings might be.

However I ran across this:
# Default network type.
# 4 => CDMA / EVDO.
ro.telephony.default_network=4
It was posted by user LaZer over at this link

http://androidforums...3-9-advice.html which is a thread about Droid-X.

so i started looking for solid definitions of CDMA / EVDO

after about 2 hours of reading and searching I came to the conclusion it wouldn't hurt me to try,( yeah I am a little slow on jumping on the bus about some things).

The result is that making that change has so far stabilized the "flashing" between 3G and H indicators and my signal to noise ratio is real steady at -89db in some of the worst reception areas that I deal with in these old buildings.

running the speed tests and downloads from youtube and other large files to my pc over the usb cable shows about a 20% increase in throughput speed so I am extremely happy with the setting.

Edited by mikenola, 03 January 2011 - 03:58 AM.

#10 sandys

sandys

Desi Droid

• Donators
  • 38 posts
    in - India
  • Device Model:
    Mytouch 4g
  • CM Version:
    figuring out
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

I wrote a writeup on my experience with installing a 28.25 radio +kernel: http://sandeep.wordp...g-from-scratch/

#11 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC/Dream
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

View Postsandys, on 02 January 2011 - 10:06 AM, said:

I wrote a writeup on my experience with installing a 28.25 radio +kernel: http://sandeep.wordp...g-from-scratch/

sandeep, nice write up for the MyTouch 3G, would have added it had I run across it. Thanks for posting it here.

#12 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC/Dream
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

I was sent a Private Message from a reader who asked if I could write a simplified post for installing the 2708 Kernel. They experienced the challenges of wading through all the other links and trying to apply them to their phone. As many of us don't upgrade frequently to new roms, radios and hboots I can understand this. So this is my attempt to help clarify some of the stuff for them.

The standard disclaimers govern your use of these instructions.

I am in NO WAY responsible if you brick or damage your phone, neither are the coders who created the images or posters providing their feedback that I have linked to for additional information.

Modifying your phone might void your warranty and incorrectly modifying it may cause it to become a very pretty paperweight! Use at your own RISK and by own decision.

If this is your primary phone, avoid experimental builds as they will most likely have undocumented problems that are not easy to solve. Signed and Final builds have been tested by the knowledgeable and adventurous members of this community who are dedicated to improving our phones and extending their usable life. Your participation and constructive feedback are greatly encouraged however you are under no obligation to do so.

In this post you will notice text in several colors, that is to make it easy to read this very long post.

Blue-the section headings
Green-general notes that you should be aware of
Red-Pay ATTENTION! Danger Will Robinson Danger! this information could be critical if you mess up

This post is divided up into 5 Sections:

1) Understanding what this upgrade is about:
       2) Identifying what versions you currently have:
       3) Files you will need:
       4) Begin the Upgrade:
       5) Extra Links you probably should read and know about:
       6) Afterwards and Notes:

Please read each section at least ONCE before you flash or copy anything. Some things I have not covered like how to install the SDK on your PC and MAC, except at a very High level. the mentions of the SDK, ADB and fastboot only reference general things and suggestions to check if they are installed correctly. Actually installing and configuring them is all on YOU!

Through years of technical experience I have found that if I read the instructions once, then walk through them one step at a time right up to the point a non-reversible action occurs (like hitting enter after issuing that fastboot flash radio radio-22.22.28.25.img command). By doing this I can get a visual handle on what to expect.

The third time I follow the steps one at a time and make the final commit to the upgrade. I realize some will find this tedious but it beats the hell out of bricking your phone because you did not understand the instructions.

The Extra links section is a small attempt by me to provide you with additional information about this process and some limited guidance to prevent things from going wrong.

Understanding what this upgrade is about:

The 2708 ROM ports, new radio and Hboot revolve around a changed SPL (secondary program loader) released for the MT3g. That change makes available additional memory space in the phone.

This is a good thing for a G1 phone.

To take advantage of this space, a new radio version and new rom versions were created for the G1.

The SPL released for the MT3G had a version number of 1.33.0013. the G1 did not play nicely with that specific version so the talented folks who mod the Andriod phones for fun and profit created SPL 1.33.0013d specifically for the G1 and only the G1.

Note: There are some postings that says users of the MT3G 32B Sapphire can also use the 1.33.0013d version of Hboot, and that there is some benefit for them. (apparently it bypasses version and region checking on NBH flashes and allows 'fastboot erase system -w' to ensure cleaner wipes between installs.) The MT3G 32B Sapphire users can use the 1.33.0013 or 1.33.0013d as they choose.

Those of us who rooted our phones, and put on Danger SPL, generally did so months ago and have little recollection of how and what we are dealing with. The same goes for the recovery version we installed.

I personally run my apps from the sdcard and before doing anything I make sure to have a copy of the apk's on my computer, stored safely away from any mayhem I may create on my phone when flashing or upgrading.

Identifying what versions you currently have:

Before you begin you need to know several things about your phone to get the correct versions of the files and to install them.

1) What recovery application and version do you have?

There are many recovery softwares for the Andriod system.
       One that works, and that I use, is the Amon-Ra 1.7.0.
       If you are on a G1 with a Cyanogenmod ROM you may have the AmonRa recovery already.
       To enter Recovery mode, power off the phone and then boot holding down the POWER and HOME.

Note: AmonRa and Clockwork recovery have "easier" ways to get into recovery mode, use those instead.

2) What SPL you currently have?

The SPL (Secondary Program Loader) is the program that will change with the Hboot software.
       To access this you need to boot into the bootloader.
       To boot in bootloader, power off the phone then boot holding down Camera button and then press power.

Note: AmonRa and Clockwork recovery have "easier" ways to get into bootloader mode, use those instead.

2a) Once you get into bootloader you need to record the following:

i) What Hboot you have
      ii) What Radio you have
     iii) What version of the G1 (32A or 32B) you have

3) You need to have ADB and Fastboot installed.

If you have modded your G1 or MT3G before, you should at least have ADB installed.
       You need to check if ADB Fastboot are installed  
       ADB is typically installed by downloading the SDK onto your computer.
       Fastboot.exe is a separate download and is placed in the "tools" folder of the SDK.
       The path to this folder should be set in the Evironment Variables on a PC.
       My machine is set up as C:\SDK\  and fastboot is found in C:\SDK\Tools\fastboot.exe

3a) To test ADB and Fastboot are installed without touching your phone

i) Open a command prompt
      ii) Type ADB start-server, hit enter. You should see 2a below on a win 7 machine

C:\Users\mike>adb start-server
                * daemon not running. starting it now *
                * daemon started successfully *

iii) Type ADB devices and hit enter. You should see 3a below on a win 7 machine

C:\Users\mike>adb devices
                List of devices attached ----This is a generic response without a phone attached

4) Type fastboot

C:\Users\mike>fastboot
      usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command> ----A list of commands and options follows

Note: if the steps in 3 and 3a are correct you should be able
      to perform this upgrade with one caveat.Fastboot needs to be checked again once you
      attache your PC to the phone but before you settle in to do the upgrade.
      I had installed Easy Tether on my PC and that conflicted with fastboot.
      I had to disable/uninstall Easy tether.

5) Your phone must be set to allow Unknown Sources.

5a) On a CM mod

i) Open Settings
       ii) Open Application Settings
      iii) Unknown Sources needs to be checked

5b) if the above is correct and set

i) Boot into Bootloader -the phone should say fastboot, if not use phone keys to set fastboot

Note: you can boot into fastboot through your recovery mod or
           by entering adb reboot-bootloader in the adb shell once the daemon is started as above, or
           by powering off and booting with the camera key held down while you power on

ii) Attach USB cable to PC and Phone (if it is not already connected)
      iii) Open a command prompt
     iiii) type adb start-server -starts the daemon
    iiiii) type adb devices -shows the phone attached
   iiiiii) type fastboot devices -shows the phone attached  

Note: If you are unsure if you are in bootloader it is  
           the screen with 3 droids at the bottom

The 1st, 2nd and 4th lines in bootloader provide the information you need for this.

The 5th line is a date.

There should be a blank line then either "fastboot or "Hboot".

Then there is another blank line followed by either 1 line or 4 lines of command options.
           Depending on the mode you are in (Hboot or fastboot).

If you are in Hboot the option is to press the back button to enter fastboot, if you
           have booted into fastboot you get to Hboot by pressing the camera button.

Example top 5 lines on the bootloader screen from my phone:

1) Dream PVT 32B SHIP S-On (make sure yours says 32B and S-ON

1a) If it says 32A or S-off this will not work for you

1b) 32A is a different board type and on the G1 this update won't work

1c) S-ON indicates you are in some form of Engineering build or modifiable SPL and
               you have root

1d) S-OFF indicates you don't have a modifiable SPL and you need
               one to do this.

2) Hboot-1.33.0013d (Drea10000) -(I have already updated to the latest Hboot)

3) CPLD-4  (don't worry about that it does not matter)

4) Radio-2.22.28.25 -(I have already upgraded to latest radio version)

5) Oct 21 2009 22:33:27 (it does not matter)

Files you will need:
Now that you have gotten that information, you need to collect the files that are relevant to your phone and the version you are going to install.
I have intentionally NOT linked the file names here. YOU must read the the posts in the links section of this document to get the files! The only exception is to the sandbox for the latest cyanogenmod 2708port rom.

1) The new Hboot image file

1a) 1.33.0013.IMG (for MT3g's)
    1b) 1.33.0013d.IMG (for G1 and MT3G 32B Sapphires)

2) The new Radio

2a) 2.22.28.25.IMG
    2b) 2.22.27.08.IMG

Note: Image 2.22.27.08 if the first radio built for this port.
    This where the designation of 2708 comes from
    There are some people now referring to this as the 2825 port
    farther down there is a mention of a 2.22.25.25.ZIP and 2.22.27.08.ZIP
    These are made available if you want to test both versions of the radio
    Those files can be "flashed" through recovery like any other zip but you must put the
    first one on through fastboot. I suggest starting with the newest radio, 2.22.28.25.IMG

3) The Recovery Image.

3a) I use Amon-RA 1.7.0
   3b) Any other recovery you are on your own!

4) The ROM and gapps tiny for your phone

4a) You can use your current rom and apps. Just restore them from the
                       back up you make a little later in the update section

4b) For CM users there is rom port called update-cm-6.1.0-DS-2708port_S.zip
       which is located in this folder: http://sandbox.devnu...id/cyanogenmod/

Note: in that same folder there is an RC1 version of this. DON'T use that!
       You know it is an RC1 because it is in the filename

4c) get the latests gapps tiny  

Note: For your own convenience consider putting all the files
       on your PC at C:\ or in a folder like C:\Name_the_folder_something_short\

Example: c:\2708\

Note: This assumes you have correctly installed ADB and Fastboot and they are part of
       your path statement. You can put the files in your c:\SDK\Tools folder if you have not
       put the path in your Environment Variables statement on the PC.

Begin the Upgrade:

1) Boot into recovery and do a NAND backup and gapps backup. this will store your existing information in case you foul this up!

2) Connect the USB cable to your PC

3) Access the SDCARD Root directory

3a) From the recovery menu (in AmonRa) select USB-MS toggle

3b) This attaches to your SDCARD as a USB storage drive on your PC.

Note: On windows boxes in My Computer you should see the new "drive" letter
                 You may also get an option popup to view files and folders, select that.
                 If you don't get the popup just click the drive letter to view the sdcard content.

4) Copy all the files to the root of the SDCARD.

Note: Please wait a couple of minutes to make sure the
           files have copied completely, I am sure you have a fast machine but just wait!

5) Toggle back out of USB-MS on your phone.

6) Select Power Off

7) Boot into Bootloader (see 5b in the Identifying what versions you currently have: section for instructions)

8) Make sure the phone screen says FASTBOOT

9) Open a Command Prompt and issue the following commands:

Note: These first three are IMG files not ZIP files you will be working with.
     Please remember that every version of windows displays the default command prompt differently.
     If you have installed the SDK with ADB and Fastboot correctly AND included the
     path in your Environment Variables you can issue these commands from any directory in the path
     like C:\ or C:\SDK\ or C:\Users\YOURNAME\

9a) Start ADB to verify things are working

adb server-start
               adb devices

Note: The above are just to make sure that adb is started and
               running properly and that fastboot is working. If your path is set correctly issuing
               the fastboot commands in the command prompt WITHOUT first doing the adb commands
               should work, but I do them anyway just to make sure everything is working.

9b) fastboot devices

Note: This should show your device serial number HTCxxxxxxxx. (if not see above instructions)

9c) fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-dream-v1.7.0-cyan.img

Note: if you have it already or are using a different recovery modify/ignore as apropriate

9d) fastboot flash radio radio-22.22.28.25.img

Note:you should see "sending ......complete" at the command prompt

9e) fastboot flash hboot hboot-1.33.0013d.img

Note: you should see "sending ......complete" at the command prompt
   If either hangs up for more than 5 minutes you have a problem.

Note: If they hang and before you freak out try these commands:
           fastboot flash radio c:\2708\radio-22.22.28.25.img
           fastboot flash Hboot c:\2708\hboot-1.33.00.13d.img

obviously if you have chosen the alternative versions use their full file name instead.
           The good news is that if those images don't flash you have no problem,
           your phone will boot right back to where it was when you started.

9f) fastboot reboot-bootloader
       This reboots you back into the bootloader which is where you want to go.
       on rebooting into bootloader issue these commands. Remember that the ADB commands
       are just as a check of the system and connectin status.

adb start-server
   adb devices
   fastboot erase system -w
           fastboot erase boot

NOTE: Please remember while fastboot erase works; fastboot flash does not so be
    careful *not* to remove the recovery

10) Boot into recovery  

Note:at this time you have no operating system so if you try and boot regularly it will just loop

11) Assuming AMON RA Recovery is what you have installed

11a) Select Flash Zip from SDCARD from recovery menu

11b) Select the update-cm-6.1.0-DS-2708port_S.zip you copied to the sdcard earlier and flash it.

Note: Wait until it says complete on the phone

11c) Select the gapps.zip you downloaded and flash it.

Note: If you choose to stay on your current ROM instead
              of Flashing the new 2708 zips, select Backup/Restore and restore the
              backups you made in Step 1
              of this section.

12) Reboot after flashing complete. This may take a few minutes to come up.

Extra links you should probably know about:

insert xda and cyanongenmod links here

-This page contains a GREAT deal of information that you should read before doing the upgrade!
-This page was written by ezterry who is one of the gurus around here. It is a must read before installing. The page contains a very condensed set of steps that will help a great many people!

Afterwards and Notes:

If all goes well, you are now on the 2708 port of CM and are using the new radio and Hboot.
That means you have more system space on the G1 and your partitions have been successfully redone.
Please note that your apps may have to be reconfigured and or reinstalled and your logins may have to be re-entered for gmail etc.

Once this stabilizes go back through and check the About Phone information and make sure you see the right radio and kernel, and that when you boot into bootloader you see the radio and Hboot versions you have just installed.

If all of that is correct you should now begin to see the "H" icon flashing if you get a 4G signal. Please note that on my phone the "H" did not appear until I connected to the internet and was in an area that the phone could connect to that signal from my local tower.

If you read the other posts In this thread I mention some build props I have changed and now my "H" is much steadier and my Signal to Noise Ratio stays around -89db. If you have never messed with the build props, please read about them on Cyanogenmod and XDA. I would suggest downloading Prop Editor onto your phone.

I will also suggest you learn how to use ADB to push and pull files from your phone as it is much easier to edit the build.prop file in notepad than on your screen. BTW I use Notepad++ as regular notepad is not always the cleanest tool when dealing with any form of formating or code related work.

The notes on build props include entries for telephony settings and ro.ril props. I would definitely play with them to see what gives you the best reception for your phone and area.

I mentioned earlier in the instructions that you might want to test both the radios. Theoretically the newest one should be the most efficient, but that is not always the case.

At this link, http://forum.xda-dev...790&postcount=1 , near the bottom you will find a heading that says: == Switching between Radios 2.22.27.08 and 2.22.28.25 ==
It includes two files,

update_2.22.27.08_S.zip // mirror
md5: 412959f6887f9f8764bd285ad879e1c0

update_2.22.28.25_S.zip // mirror
md5: 2e384ab42da375458fdb135063b7536b

Those can be flashed like a normal zip and change out your radios.
Please read that section of the that XDA page before you decide to test the radios!

I hope this helps someone get this mod flashed and maybe understand some of this a little better. I personally love the new Cyanogenmod and the 2708 port! Many thanks to those folks for their great work and effort keeping the G1 alive and functioning!

Edited by mikenola, 03 January 2011 - 09:54 PM.