Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Slow to return to home screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Technogen

Technogen
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:01 AM

I just installed 5.0.8-DS yesterday on a G1 and when I hit the home button it takes about 2 to 4 seconds to load ADW.Launcher, however if I use LauncherPro it loads right in under a second. The home screen itself has no problems moving between pages and all of the widgets load right away. I have tried doing a wipe and reinstalling again but I haven't gotten any luck there.

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I came from Cyanogen 4.10 and did not wipe my apps on my SDcard.

Any help would be lovely.

#2 Houka

Houka
  • Members
  • 154 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:12 AM

Technogen, on 22 June 2010 - 04:01 AM, said:

I just installed 5.0.8-DS yesterday on a G1 and when I hit the home button it takes about 2 to 4 seconds to load ADW.Launcher, however if I use LauncherPro it loads right in under a second. The home screen itself has no problems moving between pages and all of the widgets load right away. I have tried doing a wipe and reinstalling again but I haven't gotten any luck there.

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I came from Cyanogen 4.10 and did not wipe my apps on my SDcard.

Any help would be lovely.

Settings-->Spare Parts-->Check Launcher in Memory

#3 Technogen

Technogen
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:13 AM

Well that was mind numbingly easy, TY.

#4 Houka

Houka
  • Members
  • 154 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:19 AM

Technogen, on 22 June 2010 - 04:13 AM, said:

Well that was mind numbingly easy, TY.

No problem man

#5 dolarsrg

dolarsrg
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter:dolarsrg
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

Houka, on 22 June 2010 - 04:19 AM, said:

No problem man

Hi! I got this problem now (sometimes, ramdomly, it takes too long to go to launcher after pressing home button) but I'm using CM6.0 and I can't find this option in spareparts.

Could you help me?

Thanks a lot in advance!

#6 vincom2

vincom2
  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • Device Model:
    |1|2|
  • CM Version:
    5.0.8-t5
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

dolarsrg, on 13 July 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

Hi! I got this problem now (sometimes, ramdomly, it takes too long to go to launcher after pressing home button) but I'm using CM6.0 and I can't find this option in spareparts.

Could you help me?

Thanks a lot in advance!
settings->ADWSettings->system settings. It's somewhere there.

Although judging from this, the option might be making its way back to CMParts soon :P

#7 Doomith

Doomith
  • Members
  • 59 posts
  • Twitter:doomith
    au - Australia
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
    CM 5.08DS
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

Launcher Pro > ADW Launcher IMO! Way faster!

#8 ShyDemon

ShyDemon
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2
  • CM Version:
    Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

Hi everyone!  I know, first post and all, but I have been watching and learning for quite some time.  Thank you to everyone who contributes, but what the Mod team has done is simply amazing.  Thank you!  Now, on to the issue...

On my G1, I was running 5.0.8-DS and, yes, I know that it is frowned upon to use swap... but I was having performance issues, so I experimented with swap.  

After several SD formats, and size changes… I hate to say it, but I loved my phone after enabling swap.  Then 6.0 came out... back to the 2-3 second delay from almost any program to my homepage.  Even after enabling what I believe is the right option in Settings -> ADWLauncher -> System Pref -> System Persistent.

Actually, maddening delays were everywhere, to the point that I restored my system to 5.  But, like most good tinkerers, I couldn't just leave it alone... Reinstalled 6, and manually started swap.  The difference is night and day.  The system is very snappy going between apps and even to the home screen.

This brings me to my issue.  I know that the devs don't like swap, and with my utmost respect (because y'all prove that magic exists in the world!  :D ) but apparently I need swap.  

So, I'm looking for a way to turn swap on during boot… Don’t get me wrong, I’ll keep trying to do it, and I know there are apps for this, but I can do it manually for a while until I figure out how.  (or someone helps me ;) )
Please, just don’t give up on swap… everyone’s experience may vary like mine did!

#9 Houka

Houka
  • Members
  • 154 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

ShyDemon, on 14 July 2010 - 01:00 PM, said:

Hi everyone!  I know, first post and all, but I have been watching and learning for quite some time.  Thank you to everyone who contributes, but what the Mod team has done is simply amazing.  Thank you!  Now, on to the issue...

On my G1, I was running 5.0.8-DS and, yes, I know that it is frowned upon to use swap... but I was having performance issues, so I experimented with swap.  

After several SD formats, and size changes… I hate to say it, but I loved my phone after enabling swap.  Then 6.0 came out... back to the 2-3 second delay from almost any program to my homepage.  Even after enabling what I believe is the right option in Settings -> ADWLauncher -> System Pref -> System Persistent.

Actually, maddening delays were everywhere, to the point that I restored my system to 5.  But, like most good tinkerers, I couldn't just leave it alone... Reinstalled 6, and manually started swap.  The difference is night and day.  The system is very snappy going between apps and even to the home screen.

This brings me to my issue.  I know that the devs don't like swap, and with my utmost respect (because y'all prove that magic exists in the world!  :D ) but apparently I need swap.

So, I'm looking for a way to turn swap on during boot… Don’t get me wrong, I’ll keep trying to do it, and I know there are apps for this, but I can do it manually for a while until I figure out how.  (or someone helps me ;) )
Please, just don’t give up on swap… everyone’s experience may vary like mine did!

Check this thread out if you want swap at boot. http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=679572
You may have seen this thread as well & I know you said you want swap regardless but just so you have all info. It may not be so good for cm6 rc1. http://forum.cyanoge...-enabling-swap/