Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

[SGH-I897] CM 6.1 on Captivate

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 rockard

rockard
  • Members
  • 68 posts
    se - Sweden
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4 (mako)
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 10.1 nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

EDIT: Added info on how to make internal sdcard mount at /mnt/sdcard. Also uploaded stuff to hosting services, don't know how codeworkx and the others feel about that. Let's see how long they'll last.

There's a CM7 thread for Captivate started by codeworkx to prevent further cluttering of the I9000 threads with Captivate-related stuff. I thought it'd be a good idea to have a 6.1 version alongside it. For now, all of it is just re-posts of stuff said elsewhere, but it might be useful to keep it in one place.

Respect to everyone whose work and great ideas I've used here. Mad, mad respect of course to the people making and porting CyanogenMod.

Installing CyanogenMod
There's a few points to be made:
  • If you want to SIM unlock your phone, make sure you do it before installing any ROMs.
  • Always start with a performing a nandroid backup! (Root your phone, install ROM Manager from Market, choose "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery", reboot into recovery and do a backup.)
  • If you want to backup application data, use Titanium Backup. Without it, all your progress in Angry Birds might be lost! :)
  • There's a universal way which will work no matter what ROM you're currently on, as long as you have access to download mode. (How to verify: Odin3 one-click downloader).
  • Initially, only the universal way will be described. Other approaches might be preferred when applicable. Like if your /data is on ext4 and you do advanced restore
  • You need to have the adb tools and drivers installed. Instructions here.
  • Either you do none of the OPTIONAL steps, or you do all of them.
Install BETA3, mostly copy/paste from codeworkx instructions:
  • Again, perform a nandroid backup!
  • Download CyanogenMod BETA3 for the I9000 and copy to sdcard.
  • OPTIONAL1: Download Google apps from here (latest version: HDPI-20101114) and copy to sdcard.
  • Make sure you have more than 500 MB free space on internal sdcard.
  • Use the Odin3 one-click downloader to revert to stock. Follow the instructions in "How to use", don't do master clear.
  • Let the phone boot and leave it for a minute for stuff to settle.
  • Register on samfirmware.com and login.
  • Go to firmware section for I9000 and download the firmware named I9000XXJPM.
  • Unpack the downloaded RAR (password on site) to retrieve the TAR file.
  • Flash the TAR file with ODIN Standalone Version. Put the file in the PDA slot.
  • Flash the initial kernel for I9000 from ODIN Standalone Version (in the PDA slot).
  • Reboot into ClockworkMod recovery (included in initial kernel).
  • Perform a nandroid backup (maybe not needed, but you never know...)
  • Perform a "wipe data/factory reset".
  • Choose "install zip from sdcard" -> "choose zip from sdcard" -> "CM6.1-GalaxyS-BETA3"
  • Reboot and leave the phone for a few minutes for stuff to settle.
  • OPTIONAL2: Enable Wifi and reboot to recovery
  • OPTIONAL3: Choose "install zip from sdcard" -> "choose zip from sdcard" -> "gappsXXX").
  • OPTIONAL4: Reboot, set up your Google account, disable WiFi.
  • Download glitterballs reoriented kernel for Captivate from this thread (direct link to latest version).
  • Flash the TAR file with ODIN Standalone Version (in the PDA slot).
Once you're on BETA3, you can upgrade to the latest nightly by following the below steps.

Install latest nightly:
  • Perform a nandroid backup
  • Download CyanogenMod 6.2 NIGHTLY and unpack it to a temporary folder
  • Go to the unpacked folder, and locate the system folder
  • Make a zip-archive containing the system folder, for example system.zip
  • Go into recovery mode, mount the internal sdcard and connect your phone to the computer
  • Run the following commands from a shell:
    adb shell
    mkdir /mnt/emmc/temp
    exit
    adb push [PATH_TO_ZIP-ARCHIVE]\system.zip /mnt/emmc/temp
    adb shell
    cd /mnt/emmc/temp
    unzip system.zip
    cp -rf system/* /system
    chmod +x /system/bin/*
    chmod +x /system/xbin/*
    chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

• Reboot
  • Perform a "fix permissions" from ROM Manager or recovery

Making your phone bootable after restoring nandroid backup of CM
Maybe you decided to go from BETA3 to latest nightly, but something went wrong. You go to recovery and restore the backup you made before upgrading. Alas, the phone isn't booting! Don't worry! This is because ClockworkMod isn't restoring the system partition correctly, and all you need to do is flash the BETA3 zip again, and it should be booting. Note that doing so flashes the I9000 kernel, so you also need to flash glitterballs reoriented kernel afterwards (after a successful boot) to get proper screen orientation etc.

(Maybe) get GPS working:
Many Captivate owners are experiencing problems with getting the GPS to work. To get mine working, I had to use an app from Market called "GPS Test" by Chartcross Limited. I made sure I had clear view of the sky and left the app open with GPS on for around ten minutes. There is an option where you can prevent the screen from going to sleep which I used, don't know if it's important. After what felt like an eternity, it started to work and I got a pretty good fix. If this is not working for you, try flashing another modem (instructions below) and try again. I have had working GPS on JL3 and JK4 modems.

Flash alternate modem:
You may want to do this if you're having problems with battery drain and/or GPS. There are plenty of links in the modem thread to zip files that you can flash through recovery. If you want to try a modem that isn't included there you can follow these instructions.
  • Download a flashable modem zip from "the modem thread".
  • Download the complete (I9000) firmware for the modem version you want from samfirmware.com and extract the file modem.bin.
  • Use (for example) 7-zip to open the flashable modem zip and overwrite the modem.bin with the one you want.
  • Reboot into recovery and choose "install zip from sdcard" -> "choose zip from sdcard" -> "yourmodem.zip".

Make internal sdcard mount at /mnt/sdcard
  • Reboot into recovery
  • Retrieve vold.fstab by adb:
    adb pull /system/etc/vold.fstab
  • Edit vold.fstab on your computer in something that isn't Notepad (like Notepad++, but also Wordpad)
  • Change
    dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0
    to
    dev_mount emmc /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0
  • Change
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
    to
    dev_mount sdcard /sd-ext auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
  • Save the file on your computer
  • Push the file back to phone with adb:
    adb push vold.fstab /system/etc

Place a boot logo where the AT&T logo used to be:
Once you go over to CyanogenMod, the AT&T boot logo is gone (YAY!). It is replaced by garbage data which varies every time you boot, and perhaps doesn't look so good either. By making a 480 x 800 jpg you can get whatever you want appear at boot (found the info here). Just name it "logo_ATNT.jpg" and put it in /mnt/.lfs and you're good to go. Detailed instructions:
  • Make a 480 x 800 jpg with any motive and name it "logo_ATNT.jpg"
  • Reboot into recovery
  • Run "adb push logo_ATNT.jpg /mnt/.lfs" from a shell
  • Reboot
<EDIT>You can put new files in /mnt/.lfs but not remove or overwrite existing ones. This means the procedure only works once, so make sure you're happy with the image you put there. If you want to change it afterwards, you need to go back to stock and go through all the steps to install CM again.</EDIT>
I made a black and white Google-logo (attached). I hope they won't sue me for using it or making it available...

Attached Files

Edited by rockard, 28 February 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#2 cscho0415

cscho0415
  • Members
  • 24 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-7-05222011-NIGHTLY-Captivate
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

These is still a few problems that needs to be addressed... When talking on the phone it is hard to hear someone and it is hard for them to hear you.. on top of that apps like shazam that use the microphone tend not to work..

Wifi also wont connect... it says obtaining IP and times out

oh and of course you need to fix your vold.fstab if you want to use your internal sd as ur main sd..

Edited by cscho0415, 01 February 2011 - 08:30 PM.

#3 cscho0415

cscho0415
  • Members
  • 24 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

double

Edited by cscho0415, 01 February 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#4 rockard

rockard
  • Members
  • 68 posts
    se - Sweden
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4 (mako)
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

View Postcscho0415, on 01 February 2011 - 08:12 PM, said:

These is still a few problems that needs to be addressed... When talking on the phone it is hard to hear someone and it is hard for them to hear you.. on top of that apps like shazam that use the microphone tend not to work..

oh and of course you need to fix your vold.fstab if you want to use your internal sd as ur main sd..
For me, voice call quality is really good, on both ends. WiFi is working flawlessly (as well as tethering, if anyone was wondering). I have never used Shazam so I can't tell you if that's working, but it seems likely that also that would be caused by whatever problem it is you're having. Have you tried other modems? If that doesn't help, I would try re-installing CyanogenMod from stock by following all the above steps. When you're done, see if stuff started working. If so, do advance restore on data partition, and you'll have all your apps and settings back. Then see if stuff is still working. Maybe it's something in your settings?

Thanks for the reminder on vold.fstab. Even though it's not Captivate-specific, it's a good idea to include the info. I'll put it up later when I have the time, must get some sleep.

#5 cscho0415

cscho0415
  • Members
  • 24 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

View Postrockard, on 01 February 2011 - 10:14 PM, said:

For me, voice call quality is really good, on both ends. WiFi is working flawlessly (as well as tethering, if anyone was wondering). I have never used Shazam so I can't tell you if that's working, but it seems likely that also that would be caused by whatever problem it is you're having. Have you tried other modems? If that doesn't help, I would try re-installing CyanogenMod from stock by following all the above steps. When you're done, see if stuff started working. If so, do advance restore on data partition, and you'll have all your apps and settings back. Then see if stuff is still working. Maybe it's something in your settings?

Thanks for the reminder on vold.fstab. Even though it's not Captivate-specific, it's a good idea to include the info. I'll put it up later when I have the time, must get some sleep.

I fixed the voice call issue actually.. i changed my modem and if improved significantly.. however the wifi problem continues..

#6 skankdoggie

skankdoggie
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    7.1 Stable
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

View Postcscho0415, on 01 February 2011 - 08:12 PM, said:

The only thing that hasn't really been working for me is the Bluetooth headset which is a known issue afaik.  The other issue I'm having is the new compass mode features in Google Maps aren't working but that is extremely minor.  Haven't had any of the issues with the mic or phone reception.

Update: Also broken is the video camera which is also a known issue afaik.  Just want to be thorough.

Edited by skankdoggie, 02 February 2011 - 02:48 AM.

#7 apexofservice

apexofservice
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S SGH - i897
  • CM Version:
    cognition4.3
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:46 AM

So everyone reporting here is using CM 6.1 for [I-9000] on their [SGH-I897]?

I'm a noob to mobile telephone hacking but pretty experienced with linux and programming in general.  I'm still trying to find my way around here.  I'm super sad that I'm still running stock 2.1.  But I'm hoping to know that at least a few people are using the I-9000 version on their captivates before I try it.

One more question: is there a twitter account that I can follow that relates to progress on getting a native SGH-I897 version of CM going?

#8 TheEscapist

TheEscapist
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CM7, on and off
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:23 AM

View Postapexofservice, on 02 February 2011 - 04:46 AM, said:

So everyone reporting here is using CM 6.1 for [I-9000] on their [SGH-I897]?

I'm a noob to mobile telephone hacking but pretty experienced with linux and programming in general.  I'm still trying to find my way around here.  I'm super sad that I'm still running stock 2.1.  But I'm hoping to know that at least a few people are using the I-9000 version on their captivates before I try it.

One more question: is there a twitter account that I can follow that relates to progress on getting a native SGH-I897 version of CM going?

There was never a true port of CM to the captivate. What they did was took the i9000 port, changed a few things in the kernel to make it work on the Captivate, and that was it.

That being said, I used to run this, it's quite good. CM7 is more fun though. ;)

#9 cscho0415

cscho0415
  • Members
  • 24 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:20 AM

View PostTheEscapist, on 02 February 2011 - 05:23 AM, said:

There was never a true port of CM to the captivate. What they did was took the i9000 port, changed a few things in the kernel to make it work on the Captivate, and that was it.

That being said, I used to run this, it's quite good. CM7 is more fun though. ;)

cm7 isnt too practical yet =p

#10 ls377

ls377
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

Can anyone upload the files for 6.1? The links are broken since the thread was deleted.

#11 apexofservice

apexofservice
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S SGH - i897
  • CM Version:
    cognition4.3
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I'm still on the fence about whether to try the experimental I-9000 CM7 on my SGH-I897, or to just wait a while longer in case something comes out that's truly built for the SGH.

#12 Sirfearoth

Sirfearoth
  • Members
  • 78 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    N1-Aria-SGS-G1
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogenmod 7
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:35 AM

Here is another boot logo if anyone wants it, took from my g1

Attached Files

Edited by Sirfearoth, 07 February 2011 - 02:35 AM.

#13 cscho0415

cscho0415
  • Members
  • 24 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:46 AM

when i tried to change my boot logo it said it was a read-only filesystem.. i think im missing a step or somethin

#14 rockard

rockard
  • Members
  • 68 posts
    se - Sweden
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4 (mako)
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

View Postcscho0415, on 07 February 2011 - 03:46 AM, said:

when i tried to change my boot logo it said it was a read-only filesystem.. i think im missing a step or somethin
Sorry, forgot to say you need to be in recovery. Updated instructions.

#15 mbtt

mbtt
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    cn - China
  • Device Model:
    SAMSUNG-SGH-I897
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

awesome

#16 cscho0415

cscho0415
  • Members
  • 24 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:31 PM

View Postrockard, on 07 February 2011 - 08:21 AM, said:

Sorry, forgot to say you need to be in recovery. Updated instructions.
I thought so thanks.. is there a way to make a script to do it when you boot up.. cause i use wifi to connect to adb.. i guess ud have to edit the launchd script.. any idea?

#17 david2777

david2777
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Captiate
  • CM Version:
    6.1B3
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:29 AM

Any chance someone could upload their working vold.fstab? I followed the instructions and still can not access my internal or external SD cards.

#18 cscho0415

cscho0415
  • Members
  • 24 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Captivate
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:24 PM

View Postdavid2777, on 08 February 2011 - 07:29 AM, said:

Any chance someone could upload their working vold.fstab? I followed the instructions and still can not access my internal or external SD cards.
Follow them again. They work every time.. make sure that is allllll that is in your vold.fstab.. so remove the current one and create a new one with what it says.

and can whoever is maintaining this change the instructions for the vold.fstab part so that the updated vold.fstab is in a "code box" instead of how it is now.. it would make more sense to those who may not have done this before.

Edited by cscho0415, 08 February 2011 - 01:25 PM.

#19 david2777

david2777
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Captiate
  • CM Version:
    6.1B3
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:04 AM

View Postcscho0415, on 08 February 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

Follow them again. They work every time.. make sure that is allllll that is in your vold.fstab.. so remove the current one and create a new one with what it says.

and can whoever is maintaining this change the instructions for the vold.fstab part so that the updated vold.fstab is in a "code box" instead of how it is now.. it would make more sense to those who may not have done this before.
Thanks! I followed the instructions again and it worked this time. You guys are the greatest!

#20 smib

smib
  • Members
  • 40 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Indpire
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:49 PM

Gah, I messed up the vold.fstab too, but I have to wait to get home to fix it. I suppose I should have checked everything before going to bed.

EDIT:

View Postcscho0415, on 08 February 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

I tried again, but no luck. The file now only has new versions of the two lines mentioned above. Also, I still see the AT&T boot screen.

Edited by smib, 09 February 2011 - 10:06 PM.