Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

g-apps CM7

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gucci09

gucci09
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Note 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

I just installed CM7 and selected the google apps box from rom manager but they are no where to be seen. It kinda makes android worthless if I can't sync with google to get my contacts and apps. I tried installing my old g-apps but it just sent my phone into an infinite loop. Please help!

#2 banzairx7

banzairx7
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    mytouch slide
  • CM Version:
    unknown
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

View Postgucci09, on 17 February 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

I just installed CM7 and selected the google apps box from rom manager but they are no where to be seen. It kinda makes android worthless if I can't sync with google to get my contacts and apps. I tried installing my old g-apps but it just sent my phone into an infinite loop. Please help!

I ran into this the last time I updated cyanogen. You have to select "wipe data" from clockwork on the pre-installation pop up screen.Then install the cyanogen rom, then install the google apps using clockwork which you can grab here- http://goo-inside.me...1020-signed.zip

With CM7 I am in the same boat as you right now as that process didn't work this time!!

I don't know why they haven't fixed it yet, it is super annoying having a dead phone!

#3 banzairx7

banzairx7
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    mytouch slide
  • CM Version:
    unknown
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

Making some progress. My phone would go as far as the android welcome screen and then reset to the cyanogen welcome screen. I was able to hold the power button during the android screen and get the reboot pop up to come up, then selected reboot into recovery. It took a few tries to do it in time but it worked eventually. I have an update.zip file on my SD card which is actually clockwork recovery. Sorry but I can't remember exactly what I did here as I had done this a few months ago. I then used clockwork to install a copy of 6.1 I had on the phone all ready. I then went into rom manager to boot into clockwork recovery and install the gapps zip file. For whatever I have no data or voice connection at this point. I was able to go into the emergency dial and setup wifi so I could connect to the google servers. Rebooted into clockwork recovery once again to install the latest radio version, available here http://www.4shared.c...de_Radio2.html. So now my phone is functioning again. I haven't tried going back to 7.0 yet.

If you're daring try doing a complete wipe then install 7.0. After 30 minutes of bringing my phone back from the dead i'm not so eager to try it right now.

Edited by banzairx7, 17 February 2011 - 07:21 PM.

#4 gucci09

gucci09
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Note 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

I figured out my problem. I was able to get it to work with the latest g-apps which I got from the wiki. I had to install it directly from clockwork.

#5 Chamgea

Chamgea
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    Axura
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:58 AM

What Wiki did you get the google apps from?

#6 gucci09

gucci09
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Note 2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

View PostChamgea, on 19 February 2011 - 03:58 AM, said:

What Wiki did you get the google apps from?

The CyanogenMod wiki here

#7 SlideCraze

SlideCraze
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    T-Mobile myTouch 4G
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7.0 RC 1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

I had this situation, and I was able to solve it.

Try backing up and booting into Recovery. Flash CM7 and then the gapps package off the CyanogenMod wiki. The most recent one for CM7, of course. I have never used ROM manager to flash CM7 or gapps.

Do NOT install any older version of gapps, this will send it into a boot loop.

I have had this problem before, and I did a little research to solve it.

#8 drose424

drose424
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
    na
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:13 PM

I can not install gapps. I flash the latest version and there is nothing on reboot. I have tried re-installing the rom several times. Any ideas?

#9 drose424

drose424
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
    na
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

View Postdrose424, on 17 May 2011 - 11:13 PM, said:

I can not install gapps. I flash the latest version and there is nothing on reboot. I have tried re-installing the rom several times. Any ideas?

I had to re-partition and it fixed the problem!

#10 Androidarian

Androidarian
  • Members
  • 100 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC myTouch slide
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3, no recovery image
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

Does someone have a suggestion for installing only the Maps application?  I really don't want all the other Google stuff, in particular Talk / gmail.

Thanks

#11 NeoBatman

NeoBatman
  • Members
  • 73 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    MyTouch 3G Slide
  • CM Version:
    Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

View PostAndroidarian, on 20 May 2011 - 12:09 AM, said:

Does someone have a suggestion for installing only the Maps application?  I really don't want all the other Google stuff, in particular Talk / gmail.

Thanks

If you're using Windows, you can double-click on the gapps zip file and remove what you don't want. You need the Vendor.apk(Market app) at least.  That's what I've done anyways.

#12 Androidarian

Androidarian
  • Members
  • 100 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC myTouch slide
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3, no recovery image
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

View PostNeoBatman, on 23 May 2011 - 10:41 AM, said:

If you're using Windows, you can double-click on the gapps zip file and remove what you don't want. You need the Vendor.apk(Market app) at least.  That's what I've done anyways.

I found an even better solution.  I don't want the market.  I don't want Google Backup.  I regard all that as spyware.  Google has no reason to have my contact list and all that other stuff.  They have way too much already.

So my solution is, I found out that I did keep a backup of all the original T-Mo apps from before I wiped out my device the first time, and if I install Maps.apk all by itself, it works fine.  It installs as a normal app (so I can un-install it whenever I want to).  I get it without Google Talk, Google Backup, Google Anklemonitor.

I attempted to attach the file but it's 4.88mb, which is too big.  If someone has a file hosting suggestion I'll post it.

#13 NeoBatman

NeoBatman
  • Members
  • 73 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    MyTouch 3G Slide
  • CM Version:
    Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:45 AM

View PostAndroidarian, on 23 May 2011 - 05:36 PM, said:

I found an even better solution.  I don't want the market.  I don't want Google Backup.  I regard all that as spyware.  Google has no reason to have my contact list and all that other stuff.  They have way too much already.

So my solution is, I found out that I did keep a backup of all the original T-Mo apps from before I wiped out my device the first time, and if I install Maps.apk all by itself, it works fine.  It installs as a normal app (so I can un-install it whenever I want to).  I get it without Google Talk, Google Backup, Google Anklemonitor.

I attempted to attach the file but it's 4.88mb, which is too big.  If someone has a file hosting suggestion I'll post it.

So how do you update the app when Google releases an update if you don't have the market?

#14 Androidarian

Androidarian
  • Members
  • 100 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC myTouch slide
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3, no recovery image
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:49 AM

View PostNeoBatman, on 23 May 2011 - 10:41 AM, said:

I might try that.  

I've also noticed that the accounts sync and Google Mail applications are always installed, and I want to get rid of it.  Especially accounts sync is something I never want to have installed.  I wonder if I can install CM7 after deleting that from the zip file?  I really want a privacy-enhanced Android system.  Maybe the Guardian Project will at some point do a privacy-enhanced CM distro.

View PostNeoBatman, on 24 May 2011 - 02:45 AM, said:

So how do you update the app when Google releases an update if you don't have the market?

I suppose the Maps.apk won't update.  That's fine.

Anyway, my solution was to boot into the Clockwork Recovery, format SYSTEM, and reinstall CM7 from the zip file, and then install Maps.apk by itself, and not use the g-apps.zip at all.  This is good, but I still want to delete account sync and mail.

#15 CarlosKB24

CarlosKB24
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC HD2
  • CM Version:
    MIUI
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

I created a user today, because i felt that i just needed to through this out there, on installing the vending.apk on CM7... So i was snooping around this the same file explorer that gets install with CM7 and i pressed the home button on the app, that will get you to root of your phone, go to SYSTEM, goto APPS, go all the way down to Vending.apk and install enjoy. I dont know if this was already out there soooo. there you go, an easy way to get the market app without using the gappsxxxxxxx.zip