Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

5.0.7.1; fluctuation between 1X and 3G

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 validoption

validoption
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Twitter:jakepenumbra
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
    Kangerade Froyo 1.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:35 PM

Is anyone else seeing this? I notice it occurring most often when waking up out of standby, but it will happen while using the device as well. This has been happening in areas (like my home) where it never before happened with 5.0.6.2.

My PRL is updated and my cell standby usage is not reporting any time without a signal, but it was at 7% battery usage after 20 minutes off the charger (which someone in IRC said was a bit on the high side). On occasion, after reboots, it will display the Time Without a Signal line, but it will be 0%.

I don't know if any of that info is helpful/relevant to what might be causing this, and I also cannot reliably reproduce it. It doesn't seem to follow a predictable pattern (two minutes ago, I woke the phone and let it sit until the screen slept [a one minute timer] and it was 3G the whole time. Then, I woke it up and let it sit, and it went into 1X thirty seconds before sleeping.) and sometimes internet-using programs (browser, FB, etc.) will try and run on 1X, and other times it will switch to 3G. It's weird.

I can connect to my home wifi. It's a strong connection. The icon remains full and appropriately decreases as I begin to walk outside and away from my house, then increases as I come back towards my study (where the router is).

Also, for the cell radio, signal strength is between -83 & -88 dBm (no clue what that even means) regardless of 3G or 1X. Over another two-minute observation period it was in 1X and then jumped from -83 to -116 and incrementally went back down to -87...all while sitting in the same place (my study). Now it's back to 3G and -88...-87.

Weird.

#2 {n8}

{n8}
  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • Twitter:n8dyddy
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:48 PM

Now that I read this post and thought about it, yes I have seen my phone on 1x quite more lately than usual.

#3 Bateluer

Bateluer
  • Donators
  • 147 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Droid
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:15 AM

I'm getting this a lot as well, including several times where my signal has completely dropped out, not even 1X. Nothing at all. I can connect to WiFi and my signal reports as it usually does.

No idea whats causing it.

#4 AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero

Droid Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1542 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    N5,motox,N4,N7,SGN,TP,D1
  • CM Version:
    stock,stock,CM10.2,CM10.2,CM10.1,CM9,N#174
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:23 AM

I've been getting 1x more lately as well. Actually, this may be what's contributing to the "bad battery life" that some people have discussed with regards to .7.1. It's not currently bad enough for me to complain and/or do anything about it so I just live with it.

#5 H. Lefty

H. Lefty
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:28 AM

I am experiencing this too.  I was never on 5.6.2 but I am noticing that my wifi connection shows full coverage but I get no net access at all.  When switching to 3G it goes to 1x alot.  Even when turning off wifi and then back on, I get no access.  I would have to reboot my droid to get wifi access again.  

When I leave the wifi range (like when I go to lunch) it switches to 3G but when I return to the office I lose my connection to the net on wifi until I reboot.

#6 Bleeds

Bleeds
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:58 AM

hey all.. I just wanted to let you guys know that this is happening on ALL of my blackberry's as well.  I have a BES server and we manager over 300 blackberry's on Verizon.  They are all experiencing this as well.  At least knowing that gives the impression that it is not a MOD issue...I flashed back to stock and verify and it was happening there too...
Just food for thought..
Bleeds

#7 Takieyda

Takieyda
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:24 AM

Seeing this too, though, not sure if its CM or VZW as otherwise suggested. Noticed it on .6.2 as well. Curiously, do not remember it on BB 1.0.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#8 zeiroe

zeiroe
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

I was just about to say that I've been getting on mine and on the wifes NON-rooted and stock droid.  I think its not a cyanogen thing.

#9 Bateluer

Bateluer
  • Donators
  • 147 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Droid
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:38 AM

View Postzeiroe, on 29 May 2010 - 03:30 AM, said:

I was just about to say that I've been getting on mine and on the wifes NON-rooted and stock droid.  I think its not a cyanogen thing.

While at work, I usually stream Pandora through my phone. I had noticed that the music was cutting out due to the phone being in 1X, but had attributed it to certain areas of the building getting poor reception, but I was able to stream without issue previously.

My Droid seems to have been fine since this morning.

#10 johninbigd

johninbigd
  • Donators
  • 96 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:24 AM

I started noticing this when I switched from stock to CM 5.0.6.2. It's still doing it on 5.0.7.1.

#11 machinehead

machinehead
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:16 AM

I've noticed the same thing.  Market and sports widget painfully slow.  Not sure if memorial day weekend is to blame.  We get a lot of tourists on the jersey shore for holidays.

#12 Jeff Nussbaum

Jeff Nussbaum
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:JeffR714
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:47 AM

I just reloaded 5.0.6.2 up and my connection couldn't be faster Yesterday I couldn't d/l skins from Beautiful Widgets It was lagging on certain things then there's the part where you can't get into your brightness settings you have to use the widget that sucks! But yes the 3G thing needs to be addressed

#13 stearic

stearic
  • Donators
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:lilpute
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus
  • CM Version:
    n/a
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

it's most likely just a bad coincidence that it's happening the same time we get the latest update. I have noticed thought the 1x/3g switching though. Guess we'll see in a few days if it's just that coincidence of not.

#14 MattJ73

MattJ73
  • Members
  • 169 posts
  • Twitter:mattjones73
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
    CM 7 RC2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

Are you all running the latest radio? Just throwing an idea out there.

#15 Bateluer

Bateluer
  • Donators
  • 147 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Droid
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

View PostMattJ73, on 30 May 2010 - 08:20 PM, said:

Are you all running the latest radio? Just throwing an idea out there.

I have, so long as the latest radio is the 03 update.

Haven't noticed the connection dropping recently, but it does put me between a rock and a hard place. CM 5.0.7.1 is considerably faster than 5.0.6.2.

#16 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

View PostBateluer, on 30 May 2010 - 08:34 PM, said:

I have, so long as the latest radio is the 03 update.

to the public, yea .03 is the most current. I know there is at least 3 updates past that tho over at Moto. I've seen 1.40, 1.41, and then another after that but I forget the number. Mind you these 2 updates were on a Froyo build running on the droid tho.

Edit: found it 1.07. on a updated version of Android 2.1 for the Droid.

#17 MattJ73

MattJ73
  • Members
  • 169 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
    CM 7 RC2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:01 PM

There's two 03's floating around, my understanding is the first one, which is included in Rom Manager is from the ERE53 (which requires you to re-authenticate with google) where the gearhead baseband is from ESE81 (and doesn't require authentication), I've been using the gearhead one, it's worth giving a try if you have the other. You can always flash back to the other from RM if it doesn't work for you.

If you need a copy if it, I have one I can upload somewhere.

#18 Bateluer

Bateluer
  • Donators
  • 147 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Droid
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

View PostMattJ73, on 30 May 2010 - 09:01 PM, said:

There's two 03's floating around, my understanding is the first one, which is included in Rom Manager is from the ERE53 (which requires you to re-authenticate with google) where the gearhead baseband is from ESE81 (and doesn't require authentication), I've been using the gearhead one, it's worth giving a try if you have the other. You can always flash back to the other from RM if it doesn't work for you.

If you need a copy if it, I have one I can upload somewhere.

How do you tell the difference exactly? I'm pretty sure I loaded my current one from Rom Manager, but cannot recall for certain.

#19 Doctor

Doctor

Professional Cat Herder

• Donators
  • 735 posts
  • Twitter:@D0CTR
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S4, Nexus7, Xoom
  • CM Version:
    What Time Is It?
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:18 AM

I haven't personally been experiencing this issue, but then again I flased the "Gearhead Baseband" when it was released some time ago.
If anyone cares to give it a try to see if it helps, you will find it here!
Just get it to your SDCard, and boot into recovery, selecting it as the file to install as zip.
I hope it helps you out!
:)
Doc

#20 MattJ73

MattJ73
  • Members
  • 169 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |3|
  • CM Version:
    CM 7 RC2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

View PostBateluer, on 30 May 2010 - 11:28 PM, said:

How do you tell the difference exactly? I'm pretty sure I loaded my current one from Rom Manager, but cannot recall for certain.

If you had to relog into google, you don't have the gearhead baseband.