Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

HTC Desire HD: Full Update Guide

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 improvised

improvised
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    htc desire hd
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

I have an HTC Desire HD running Android 2.2
Build number:1.39.110.1
The software is wrapped around the T-mobile carrier as all their logos are on the startup splash-screen.

Now before I get into the my questions and you ask have I tried the Unrevoked3 or any other one click method I have and with the Unrevoked3 I get; "Device "ace" is not supported at this time.".  And with the others it's never fully rooted because I can't get past permissions on Titanium Backup or others alike.

My question revolves around the "HTC Desire HD: Full Update Guide" on the wiki page.

When I run through the "Downgrade to 1.32.405.6" procedure I run into these issues:

After I type this command in the command window: /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3

The command window says:
--set_version. VERSION will be changed to: 1.31.405.3
Pathching and backing up partition 17...
Error opening backup file.

It doesn't say that it should say anything like this in the wiki page but anyways my next issue should tie in the above issue as well.

So then I move on to the next instruction "Type: Exit" So I do then I type "adb reboot bootloader" After this my phone goes into bootloader screen and it's from here I'm having issues.

The wiki page says: "Follow the on screen directions, on the HTC Desire HD, on flashing the 1.32.405.6 firmware." The problem is there is nothing on the screen for flashing the "1.32.405.6 firmware" The only options there is is for powering down putting the device into debugging mode etc nothing about updating the firmware.

Could someone please help to elaborate what I might be doing wrong?

I've downloaded the:
psneuter
misc_version 0.01
1.32.405.6 firmware

I unpacked psnueter & misc_version 0.01 into sdk platform-tools folder the same location as the adb so that's all right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by improvised, 26 February 2011 - 02:37 PM.

#2 ghostofcain

ghostofcain
  • Members
  • 152 posts
  • Twitter:ghostocain
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire HD
  • CM Version:
    AOSPx
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

improvised, on 26 February 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

I have an HTC Desire HD running Android 2.2
Build number:1.39.110.1
The software is wrapped around the T-mobile carrier as all their logos are on the startup splash-screen.

Now before I get into the my questions and you ask have I tried the Unrevoked3 or any other one click method I have and with the Unrevoked3 I get; "Device "ace" is not supported at this time.".  And with the others it's never fully rooted because I can't get past permissions on Titanium Backup or others alike.

My question revolves around the "HTC Desire HD: Full Update Guide" on the wiki page.

When I run through the "Downgrade to 1.32.405.6" procedure I run into these issues:

After I type this command in the command window: /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3

The command window says:

It doesn't say that it should say anything like this in the wiki page but anyways my next issue should tie in the above issue as well.

So then I move on to the next instruction "Type: Exit" So I do then I type "adb reboot bootloader" After this my phone goes into bootloader screen and it's from here I'm having issues.

The wiki page says: "Follow the on screen directions, on the HTC Desire HD, on flashing the 1.32.405.6 firmware." The problem is there is nothing on the screen for flashing the "1.32.405.6 firmware" The only options there is is for powering down putting the device into debugging mode etc nothing about updating the firmware.

Could someone please help to elaborate what I might be doing wrong?

I've downloaded the:
psneuter
misc_version 0.01
1.32.405.6 firmware

I unpacked psnueter & misc_version 0.01 into sdk platform-tools folder the same location as the adb so that's all right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like the downgrade hasn't worked, hence the phone won't offer to flash the PD98IMG.zip, do you have Temporary root (prompt should be a # not a $) when entering the /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3 command?

#3 improvised

improvised
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    htc desire hd
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

ghostofcain, on 26 February 2011 - 03:01 PM, said:

It looks like the downgrade hasn't worked, hence the phone won't offer to flash the PD98IMG.zip, do you have Temporary root (prompt should be a # not a $) when entering the /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3 command?

Hello I should have wrote but yes I do get the "#" indicating the DHD is temp rooted. The wiki instructions don't say it but should I unpack the firmware zip file into the adb folder as well I thought I was getting "Error opening backup file." because it couldn't find the Firmware to update?

Thanks..

#4 improvised

improvised
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    htc desire hd
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

improvised, on 26 February 2011 - 03:07 PM, said:

Hello I should have wrote but yes I do get the "#" indicating the DHD is temp rooted. The wiki instructions don't say it but should I unpack the firmware zip file into the adb folder as well I thought I was getting "Error opening backup file." because it couldn't find the Firmware to update?

Thanks..

UPDATE:  One very important piece of information the wiki page doesn't explain is that the phone should be on "charge-only" I had the phone on "hard-drive" and this is the thing that was preventing me from moving forward with the steps.

I also discovered that a more stable and reliable string was typing:

cd /data/local/tmp
./misc_version -s 1.31.405.3

rather than what was instructed to type:

/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3
exit

I then copied the PD98IMG.zip file to my "Gold SD Card" and rebooted holding down the volume button this brought me into the bootloader and after a few seconds it self-unpacked and initiated the downgrade of the firmware and all was good.

After this it was a simple case of rooting with Vision turning Radio S-Off & ENG S-Off with the simple one click programs "jkoljo" provides on xda-developers. After this Rom Manager install and now I got LeeDrOiD's new ROM installed and all is Very, Very sweet.

Many Thanks.

#5 ghostofcain

ghostofcain
  • Members
  • 152 posts
  • Twitter:ghostocain
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire HD
  • CM Version:
    AOSPx
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

improvised, on 27 February 2011 - 12:13 AM, said:

I also discovered that a more stable and reliable string was typing:

cd /data/local/tmp
./misc_version -s 1.31.405.3

rather than what was instructed to type:

/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.31.405.3
exit

Glad you got sorted and all is well.

With the commands above they are equivalent so either or should work

#6 s20dan

s20dan
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Desire HD
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen Mod 7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

I see you already got it sorted, but just for future reference for anyone else with that build number, you don't need to downgrade.  You can simply run VISIONary for root access.
At least thats exactly how it went for me on Build number:1.39.110.1

Edited by s20dan, 04 March 2011 - 11:49 AM.

#7 hhpant5

hhpant5
  • Donators
  • 1 posts
    au - Australia
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire HD Rocks....
  • CM Version:
    Stock ROM :(
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hi I'm a real noobie to Desire HD, but coped OK with my old Hero GSM with rooting etc, loved CM6! I am trying to down grade Desire HD from 1.72 to 1.32...
My issue is I gain temp root via wiki method. get # OK. I copy the PD98IMG.zip to my SD root, then change back to USB charge only. I also have created a gold card as I got the CID error.
Then Reboot into bootloader.
In boot screen it loads the PD98IMG.zip all the way and then checking PD98IMG.zip bar progresses all the way.
Once completed it goes back to the boot screen without option to update to the downgraded file.
It's like my Temp root isn't quite right. I have been looking for answer for a week now but no-one seems to have the same issue. Any help or direction appreciated. Let me know if you need any info.  :unsure:

EDIT: My Desire HD needs to use mmc2 for goldcard. mmc0 was the only option when I used the goldcard-tool but that didn't resolve the CID inccorect error. So if you have a problem with Goldcard try the manual method with Hex editor and use the goldcard app to identify your MMC2. Follow the manual gold card method on Modaco or XDA site. Cheers

#8 Kuba Szostak

Kuba Szostak
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire Z
  • CM Version:
    CM 7
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

improvised, on 26 February 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

The command window says:

You should read this:
http://forum.cyanoge...ct-update-fail/

Best regards
Kuba