Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Restoring Nook Color

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boffenhauer

boffenhauer
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:10 AM

Sooo...

I started doing nightly builds and really like it!  Unfortunately living on the edge has its draw backs and now my Nook Color will not boot.  Luckily I did a backup with clockworkmod before I started doing nightlies.  I have a directory that I copied on my computer with a date that contains a series of disk image files; boot, cache, etc.  My question is, how do I restore the backup to my Nook Color to restore it to Eclaire?  I've tried booting with clockworkmod and tried doing a restore, but it reports that it cannot find any files (I've copied the dated directory to the root folder of the boot SD card).  I realize this might not be the correct thread to post this question on, but any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.  

Thanks.

#2 HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter:@hittingsmoke
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo
  • CM Version:
    7 RC4
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:50 AM

View Postboffenhauer, on 11 March 2011 - 02:10 AM, said:

Sooo...

I started doing nightly builds and really like it!  Unfortunately living on the edge has its draw backs and now my Nook Color will not boot.  Luckily I did a backup with clockworkmod before I started doing nightlies.  I have a directory that I copied on my computer with a date that contains a series of disk image files; boot, cache, etc.  My question is, how do I restore the backup to my Nook Color to restore it to Eclaire?  I've tried booting with clockworkmod and tried doing a restore, but it reports that it cannot find any files (I've copied the dated directory to the root folder of the boot SD card).  I realize this might not be the correct thread to post this question on, but any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.  

Thanks.

Did you ever format your /boot partition under Mounts and Storage in Clockworkmod?

#3 slaterman

slaterman
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

http://theunlockr.co...color-to-stock/

This worked for me....

#4 boffenhauer

boffenhauer
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

I think I may have inadvertently formated the boot partition.  Drinking and flashing don't match...  I'll try restoring to stock.  Thanks!

#5 boffenhauer

boffenhauer
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

Nope did that restore guide and the nook color is still no booting.  Please advise

#6 boffenhauer

boffenhauer
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

View PostHittingSmoke, on 12 March 2011 - 06:50 AM, said:

Did you ever format your /boot partition under Mounts and Storage in Clockworkmod?

Yes it appears that I did.  Can it be salvaged?

#7 Shanhalt14

Shanhalt14
  • Members
  • 53 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    NOOKcolor
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:38 AM

I would suggest using the hard key restore methods found here...
http://nookdevs.com/...clean_stock_ROM

If this still doesn't work, the boot partition can be reinstalled by this longer process...
http://forum.xda-dev...p/t-949699.html

Everything I've read says that the nook is virtually unbrickable because it gives booting priority to the sd card slot instead of the internal memory. Keep your head up, and let me know if this helps.

#8 HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter:@hittingsmoke
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo
  • CM Version:
    7 RC4
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

View Postboffenhauer, on 14 March 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

Yes it appears that I did.  Can it be salvaged?

Absolutely, and it's not as hard as some guides make it out to be either. Here's a short and simple guide that's part of a bigger one I wrote on another site.

The downloads I mention in the guide can be found here. You'll need nook-complete-restore-1.0.1.zip and repartition-boot-with-stock.zip from that page. The repartition file is at the very bottom of the post. The 1.0.1 restore file is right under the title Files to restore NC to stock (1):. I don't link directly to the files as they're prone to be updated or mirrored due to broken links.

You want to download the v.1.0.1 file and the "repartition-boot-with-stock.zip". To use these, burn a bootable Clockwork 3.0.0.5 SD card and boot into it. Format /system, /data, /cache, THEN /boot. It may freeze up after formatting /boot, don't worry, just power off and reload into CW. Once you're back in, flash the repartition-boot-with-stock.zip file THEN the nook-complete-restore-1.0.1.zip. This will put you back to stock as if you'd never modified the device. The second one takes a while as it's a full software restore. Don't worry, just let it do it's thing.

I hope this little story saves someone a bit of time and grief. Good luck and good modding! :)

Keep in mind that having formatted /boot can cause some serious corruption that needs extensive command line tricks to restore. However, if you can still reliably boot to SD you're still perfectly fine. Once you start having problems booting to SD, do everything you can to get back to stock and return the device before your warranty runs out.

After you return to stock, just run it like that for a while to make sure everything is stable. Once you're sure the device is running normally, use the regular CM7 flashing method.

Remember, no matter what any guide tells you, you should not be formatting /boot unless you've already messed something up. Formatting is for converting your file system to Ext4 for optimal performance on operating systems thats support it. That means /system, /data and /cache only. To format in Ext4 you need Clockwork 3.0.0.6 or higher.

Hope this clears up your issues :)