Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

CM7 Mouse Pointer

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#81 TrogdorsArm

TrogdorsArm
  • Members
  • 8 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo 4G
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Final
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for leaving the CM7 Settings in for this Logitech Mediaboard combo.  I am typing this on my 50" LCD and it's totally awesome.

There is a problem when the screen density is changed.  Default is 240 and I set it to 180 and the mouse pointer stops or disappears at the default screen edge of 240 even though the screen is at 180.

I need to download Null Keyboard so this giant keyboard goes away from my big screen.  Back button also makes the keyboard leave the screen. ;)

Scott, I do have a 9 button mouse.  Let me hook it up and do some testing and let you know what all the buttons do currently.

Swyped on my HTC Evo using Tapatalk Pro

#82 sbradymobile

sbradymobile
  • Members
  • 122 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    EVO 4g
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.1.0 RC0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

For the screen density just wait to connect your mouse until after you change density (after a reboot).  I'm not sure yet how they are changing the setting for the screen density (how it effects the size of this view and when to trigger a redraw) but I'm aware of the issue and am working on it.

Edit: Trying to fix the cursor jump by ignoring zero events (the view is still occasionally knocked out by other views, especially text entry fields), menu changed to button 5, scroll button is enter (selects highlighted field), left click modifier for for right button to access menu (for those with 3 button mice), left click modifier for scroll button to play / pause, left click modifier for button 4 and 5 to zoom in and out (I don't know if this is necessary but I figured I would throw it in for now), left click modifier for scroll to go right and left (this one is hard to control and will probably be changed later).

I'll try to put all of this in one spot tomorrow.

mouseUpdate20110426v2.zip

Edited by sbradymobile, 27 April 2011 - 03:36 AM.

#83 TrogdorsArm

TrogdorsArm
  • Members
  • 8 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo 4G
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Final
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

Setting density(w/quick reboot) prior to BT pairing doesn't help every time.  Somehow the UI still thinks the boundaries are still set to the default.  I've tried various densities too. (Marty McFly - Back to the Future popped into my head, "You are my density")  :lol:

Before I list out all the behavior problems I think my devices are having, I'd like to get a list of mapping/gesture/actions I can perform to verify they indeed perform as expected.  Is there a standard listing of these that has been started?  I'll run with this if nobody has started it.  Is there an android doc that covers the standard terminology of what we're talking about here?

Scott, can you PM me your current mappings, please?  Thanks in advance.

Loki, when I get this document in a usable form I'll send it to you for inclusion in your Evo As a Desktop PC project, if you think it will be helpful.

I was thinking something like this for testing...
=====================================
Keyboard Model: Logitech Mediaboard Pro
Mouse Model: Touch pad integrated in keyboard

Android Gesture   Mouse Activity				Keyboard Activity
---------------   --------------				-----------------
Home softkey	  Left-B & Right-B			  Home key?, ESC key? which better?
					long press
					then release both
Menu softkey	  Left-B down long-press		F1 key
					then Right-B down
					then release both
Back softkey	  Right-B down				  ESC key?, Backspace key(in touch mode)
					then release
Touch screen	  Left-B down				   Enter key  
					then release				  (based on pointer location)
Touch swipe left  Left-B down				   Enter key down
					move pointer left			 left arrow down
					then release				  left arrow up
												(could use num-pad on 
												 keyboard for this type 
												 of navigation/gesturing)
etc, etc,

I think this will be helpful for troubleshooting and standardization.

Thoughts?

#84 Lokifish

Lokifish
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Evo Phoneputer
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:55 AM

View Postsbradymobile, on 27 April 2011 - 01:02 AM, said:

For the screen density just wait to connect your mouse until after you change density (after a reboot).  I'm not sure yet how they are changing the setting for the screen density (how it effects the size of this view and when to trigger a redraw) but I'm aware of the issue and am working on it.

Edit: Trying to fix the cursor jump by ignoring zero events (the view is still occasionally knocked out by other views, especially text entry fields), menu changed to button 5, scroll button is enter (selects highlighted field), left click modifier for for right button to access menu (for those with 3 button mice), left click modifier for scroll button to play / pause, left click modifier for button 4 and 5 to zoom in and out (I don't know if this is necessary but I figured I would throw it in for now), left click modifier for scroll to go right and left (this one is hard to control and will probably be changed later).

I'll try to put all of this in one spot tomorrow.

mouseUpdate20110426v2.zip

Had to revert back to previous version. I found that under heavy usage the scroll button as menu is ideal on xscope. It's really missed when the browser hides tabs all the time, for example every time  you select a text box or google search. I know it's a browser issue but seeing that xscope with the modded theme is the closest thing to a desktop ui I'm kinda stuck. I need to get a properly working browser before I continue testing.

#85 sbradymobile

sbradymobile
  • Members
  • 122 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    EVO 4g
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.1.0 RC0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:57 AM

Yeah, I am seeing the need to integrate mapping settings for the buttons.  Customization is always best.  The only one that has to remain as is the left button.  I will work on it a bit and let you know.

#86 bbradley

bbradley
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Device Model:
    pc36100
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

View Postsbradymobile, on 28 April 2011 - 01:57 AM, said:

Yeah, I am seeing the need to integrate mapping settings for the buttons.  Customization is always best.  The only one that has to remain as is the left button.  I will work on it a bit and let you know.

Working great here! I love love love the scrolling function and how it works so well with web pages from inside my remote desktop app. The menu button works now on the button that used to be the search button..

I run density setting of 200 and have never had issues with the pointer working right. It's great to finally have 4g + hdmi + bt mouse/kb  :D

#87 sbradymobile

sbradymobile
  • Members
  • 122 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    EVO 4g
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.1.0 RC0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

Thanks, bbradley.  What do you use to change density?  I am putting together a list of what works and doesn't for reference.

#88 bbradley

bbradley
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Device Model:
    pc36100
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

View Postsbradymobile, on 28 April 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Thanks, bbradley.  What do you use to change density?  I am putting together a list of what works and doesn't for reference.

I use ResToggle
It's 99 cents but worth it

I use Splashtop for my remote desktop app that also works great with this mouse pointer plus it plays sound from your pc too :D

Edited by bbradley, 28 April 2011 - 03:25 PM.

#89 Lokifish

Lokifish
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Evo Phoneputer
  • CM Version:
    CM 6.1.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

View Postbbradley, on 28 April 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

I use ResToggle
It's 99 cents but worth it

I use Splashtop for my remote desktop app that also works great with this mouse pointer plus it plays sound from your pc too :D

Thanks man, Splashtop looks sweet. I played with it for a couple hours and was pleased with the results over LAN and 4G. I've been so busy trying to get browser developers to even talk to me about a "Desktop UI" that I haven't had the time to think about functionality addons. Unless I find an app that's an equivalent to the full version of Splashtop for free, it will definitely go on the Evo Desktop software list.

#90 sbradymobile

sbradymobile
  • Members
  • 122 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    EVO 4g
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.1.0 RC0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

First set of changes were merged, I just submitted the extra button stuff as follows:

Left button = down event; hold for finger down event; hold for left button modifier;
Middle (scroll) button = menu;
Right button = back;
Scroll up = up; equivalent to dpad or trackball up
Scroll down = down; equivalent to dpad or trackball down
Extra button = home;
Side button = enter;

With left button modifier (hold left button down, click other button quickly, release left button):

Middle (scroll) button =  enter;
Right button = home;
Extra button = left;
Side button = right;

I tried to make it useful for mice with and without side buttons.

#91 bbradley

bbradley
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Device Model:
    pc36100
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

View Postsbradymobile, on 30 April 2011 - 06:39 AM, said:

First set of changes were merged, I just submitted the extra button stuff as follows:

Left button = down event; hold for finger down event; hold for left button modifier;
Middle (scroll) button = menu;
Right button = back;
Scroll up = up; equivalent to dpad or trackball up
Scroll down = down; equivalent to dpad or trackball down
Extra button = home;
Side button = enter;

With left button modifier (hold left button down, click other button quickly, release left button):

Middle (scroll) button =  enter;
Right button = home;
Extra button = left;
Side button = right;

I tried to make it useful for mice with and without side buttons.

Congrats!

I installed the latest nightly and the mouse cursor was in there!

Thanks for making this happen!

#92 sntmods

sntmods
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Supersonic
  • CM Version:
    7.1 "stable"
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug but I have definitely noticied a perfformance related issue when usimg the mouse while also playing music over bluetooth. say I start movimg the mouse, the music playing will begin to skip. This does not occur while usimg a bluetooth keyboard.

#93 rsktkr1

rsktkr1
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO
  • CM Version:
    7.0.2.1 SUPERSONIC
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hi:

I am using a Apple Magic Trackpad bluetooth mouse. First I installed the mouseUpdate20110426-signed.zip and then tried the trackpad - but it does not work. I can pair and connect successfully with the trackpad - but it does not work. I also installed the CMPartsMouseSettings_signed.zip file but it still does not work.

Is there something I am doing wrong or is it the Trackpad? The Trackpad did work on Cyanogen Mod 6.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#94 sbradymobile

sbradymobile
  • Members
  • 122 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    EVO 4g
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.1.0 RC0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:38 AM

@sntmods  I just tested this and it is definitely an issue.  The mouse pointer didn't make any changes to the bluetooth stack, so it is likely an issue that was there in earlier versions of CM7 (if anyone wants to test).

@rsktkr1  I don't have one to test, but the only apple mouse or tablet references I have found in the source code are in hid-magicmouse.c in the kernel tree.  It appears our current kernel build config does not include this by default (under Special HID drivers).  So far that is the only lead I have, so it might be worth requesting that addition to one of the kernel teams that build for gingerbread.

Edit: Decided to build a kernel with apple mouse and tablet support.  This is the kernel that ships with CM7 with the addition of hid raw and hid magicmouse in the config.  I tested on my evo and everything else is still working (wifi, bluetooth).  Let me know if it works and I will submit the change upstream.

CM7MagicMouseKernel_signed.zip

Also here is an alternative to the cmsettings.  An apk with an app and widget to toggle the pointer and the source if anybody wants to change the icons.

PointerToggle.apk

PointerToggle Source Code

Edited by sbradymobile, 07 May 2011 - 07:40 AM.

#95 rsktkr1

rsktkr1
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO
  • CM Version:
    7.0.2.1 SUPERSONIC
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

View Postsbradymobile, on 07 May 2011 - 04:38 AM, said:

@sntmods  I just tested this and it is definitely an issue.  The mouse pointer didn't make any changes to the bluetooth stack, so it is likely an issue that was there in earlier versions of CM7 (if anyone wants to test).

@rsktkr1  I don't have one to test, but the only apple mouse or tablet references I have found in the source code are in hid-magicmouse.c in the kernel tree.  It appears our current kernel build config does not include this by default (under Special HID drivers).  So far that is the only lead I have, so it might be worth requesting that addition to one of the kernel teams that build for gingerbread.

Edit: Decided to build a kernel with apple mouse and tablet support.  This is the kernel that ships with CM7 with the addition of hid raw and hid magicmouse in the config.  I tested on my evo and everything else is still working (wifi, bluetooth).  Let me know if it works and I will submit the change upstream.

Also here is an alternative to the cmsettings.  An apk with an app and widget to toggle the pointer and the source if anybody wants to change the icons.

PointerToggle.apk

View Postsbradymobile, on 07 May 2011 - 04:38 AM, said:

PointerToggle.apk

#96 rsktkr1

rsktkr1
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO
  • CM Version:
    7.0.2.1 SUPERSONIC
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

View Postrsktkr1, on 07 May 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

Thanks alot this does work now. The mouse works as portrait not landscape and im trying to figure out the controls - it will do sweeping motions just as you would on the touchscreen - which is kind of cool. I can't select a specific app or icon and execute with the MagicTracpad - which you tap like a touchpad. Sweeping or tapping produces erratic results such as initiating the phone and even dialing numbers.

I definitely have a connection now and evidently there are some settings that need to be changed - do you know how to accomplish this? If you know how I can get the settings fine tuned for this to be a working input method that would be great.

I think the Apple settings should be included in any future releases.

Thanks again for all of your help.

#97 sbradymobile

sbradymobile
  • Members
  • 122 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    EVO 4g
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.1.0 RC0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

@rsktkr1
Ok, I just looked at the kernel source and reversed the patch ignoring relative x,y position.  Try downloading the zip again.  It probably won't do the swipe thing anymore and I'm not sure about the button / gesture mapping, so let me know what is working.

#98 rsktkr1

rsktkr1
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO
  • CM Version:
    7.0.2.1 SUPERSONIC
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

View Postrsktkr1, on 07 May 2011 - 04:14 PM, said:

Thanks alot this does work now. The mouse works as portrait not landscape and im trying to figure out the controls - it will do sweeping motions just as you would on the touchscreen - which is kind of cool. I can't select a specific app or icon and execute with the MagicTracpad - which you tap like a touchpad. Sweeping or tapping produces erratic results such as initiating the phone and even dialing numbers.

I definitely have a connection now and evidently there are some settings that need to be changed - do you know how to accomplish this? If you know how I can get the settings fine tuned for this to be a working input method that would be great.

I think the Apple settings should be included in any future releases.

Thanks again for all of your help.

#99 rsktkr1

rsktkr1
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO
  • CM Version:
    7.0.2.1 SUPERSONIC
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

Update:

After playing around with this now it works really good. I am using FullHDMI and I can remotely connect with another computer and use the MagicTracpad and BluetoothKeyboard. The MagicTracpad has really cool features especially when using google earth with "pinch" type motions. I can now connect with my office remotely and with FullHDMI I can plug phone in the tv via hdmi and have full bluetooth keyboard and tracpad mouse!

#100 sbradymobile

sbradymobile
  • Members
  • 122 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    EVO 4g
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.1.0 RC0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

@rsktkr1 Did you need the second version of the kernel?  Let me know so I only submit the needed changes.

Edit: I just reuploaded because I forgot to save the changes in magicmouse.c.

Edited by sbradymobile, 07 May 2011 - 06:24 PM.