Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Add "regulatory domain" to phone without it.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MeZmeriZe

MeZmeriZe
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:53 AM

Hi all,

I've got a very recently "rooted" X10 xperia and I want to turn on channel 13 wireless.

The phone is missing this option from the advanced menu so I'd like to either restore the option, or use root to manually edit the config file that the ar6000 uses to determine what channels to offer.

much googling found me a changelog that showed that the cyanogen eclair rom has had the "regulatory domain" menu restored to it.
(as seen in this changelog http://github.com/cy...clair/CHANGELOG )

Does anyone know how this was done?  or failing that, what conf files on the phone did it change?

Failing that, does anyone else know of phones using the ar6000 wireless chipset?  I know the pulse has it but can't find much info on other models...

I loath the way SE just decided what we should or shouldn't be able to change on the X10..   (imagine I'm in good company here)
Was starting to regret not getting an N1, but now the X10 is rooted it might turn out to be an ok phone.

any thoughts would be much appreciated.

cheers

frank

#2 Haze

Haze
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 5
  • CM Version:
    cm-11-UNOFFICIAL-HAZE-hammerhead
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:03 PM

View PostMeZmeriZe, on 30 June 2010 - 05:53 AM, said:

Hi all,

I've got a very recently "rooted" X10 xperia and I want to turn on channel 13 wireless.

The phone is missing this option from the advanced menu so I'd like to either restore the option, or use root to manually edit the config file that the ar6000 uses to determine what channels to offer.

much googling found me a changelog that showed that the cyanogen eclair rom has had the "regulatory domain" menu restored to it.
(as seen in this changelog http://github.com/cy...clair/CHANGELOG )

Does anyone know how this was done?  or failing that, what conf files on the phone did it change?

Failing that, does anyone else know of phones using the ar6000 wireless chipset?  I know the pulse has it but can't find much info on other models...

I loath the way SE just decided what we should or shouldn't be able to change on the X10..   (imagine I'm in good company here)
Was starting to regret not getting an N1, but now the X10 is rooted it might turn out to be an ok phone.

any thoughts would be much appreciated.

cheers

frank

You may be able to enable channels 12 13 and 14 by editing the '/system/build.prop' file.

Try editing the line 'ro.wifi.channels=' to be 'ro.wifi.channels=14'

This enabled me to run wifi tether on channels 1-14 on my Magic 32B.

#3 MeZmeriZe

MeZmeriZe
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

View PostHaze, on 30 June 2010 - 09:03 PM, said:

You may be able to enable channels 12 13 and 14 by editing the '/system/build.prop' file.

Try editing the line 'ro.wifi.channels=' to be 'ro.wifi.channels=14'

This enabled me to run wifi tether on channels 1-14 on my Magic 32B.

Got me all excited for a minute.. but sadly that code isn't there at all. (I'm gonna add it to see if it makes a difference, but I'm not confident as I think this chip is setup oddly (openmoko and the pulse both those this chip).  See my version of build.prop below.

Near as I can tell.. and I admit that I'm a newbie in this sort of hacking.. the ar6000 module is passed a hex string that seems to change depending on what the local is set to... I suspect that hex string is what is doing the damage.

As a test, I turned off the wireless, and did a basic insmod /system/wifi/ar6000 and it loaded the driver again with a different hex code (a default fallback I think) to what it sets with a region code. interestingly I then re-enabled the wifi and the number didn't change.. because the module was already loaded no doubt.... my thought is that if I can't figure out what code is pushing a locale hex to the ar6000 driver, I might be able to get around it by adding something to the init script to insmod the driver before the system does, thereby rendering the locale setting moot...

In the meantime I've added the ro.wifi.channels=14 and tomorrow morning I will see if I can connect to channel 13. (thanks for the tip Mr Haze... appreciated.

If someone has better ideas to what I've listed above if Mr Haze's suggestion doesn't pay off... I'd love to hear them.

cheers  

Frank

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=R2BA020
ro.build.display.id=R2BA020
ro.build.version.incremental=1274691689
ro.build.version.sdk=4
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=1.6
ro.build.date=Mon May 24 18:01:42 JST 2010
ro.build.date.utc=1274691702
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=semc-android
ro.build.host=jptolnxbld004.corpusers.net
ro.build.tags=rel-keys
ro.product.board=es209ra
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi
ro.board.platform=
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=SonyEricssonX10i
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=X10-user 1.6 R2BA020 1274691689 rel-keys
# end build properties
# SEMC Specific define
ro.semc.product.device=RACHAEL
ro.semc.version.fs=1227-4607
ro.semc.version.fs_revision=R2BA020
ro.semc.version.fs_variant=GENERIC

#
# system.prop for surf
#

rild.libpath=/system/lib/libril-qc-1.so
rild.libargs=-d /dev/smd0
persist.rild.nitz_plmn=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_0=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_1=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_2=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_3=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_0=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_1=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_2=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_3=
DEVICE_PROVISIONED=1
ro.sf.lcd_density=240
use_csp_plmn=1
ro.qualcomm.proprietary_obex=1
ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1
ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED
ro.url.legal.android_privacy=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/privacy.html
ro.url.legal=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/phone-legal.html

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.config.sync=yes
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

#4 MeZmeriZe

MeZmeriZe
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

Just downloaded the whole source code for the X10 android (at least everything sony gave us).

looking through to see if I can find a way to either hard code it to 14 channels or better yet, find out where it is getting it's local info and intercepting that.

I'm beginning to think SE have hard coded it to 11 channels themselves as I've not been able to get it to connect on ch 13 even with the local set to en-jp or any other combo, and connecting to a router that was set to think it was in japan... it should have worked which is why I think it may be hard set once size fits all.

#5 MeZmeriZe

MeZmeriZe
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

Prob solved.

Chilly from XDA discovered that if you hex edit /data/misc/wifi/reg_code and change it to 37,  the x 10 will work on ch 13.

Cheers

Frank

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk