Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Browser Continuous Crashing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tylermoney

tylermoney
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • Twitter:@tylermoney
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
    CM 5.0.8 Final
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

Hello,

Last night while checking out my twitter, I tried opening a link from a tweet. Browser would start, go white, then the twitter app would come back. I tried t his several times. It never went to the link. I thought maybe it was just the link, so I tried other links from other tweets. Same effect. I figured it was just the twitter app. This morning, I tried running the Browser on it's own. Same thing. It never gave me a FC, just automatically closed. Tried it at least 15 times... never loaded. I then tried loading skyfire, and it sat on a black screen until it gave me an FC every time I tried using it. I then tried with Dolphin Browser. I can use dolphin browser fine, and it works great; however, neither of the others do.

I ran fix permissions in both console and terminal emulator (the first time I ran it in the emulator, it got caught  up, and I had to pull the battery. It was fine after that), then I cleared all my cache in  recovery. Browser/Skyfire still do not work. Any thoughts on what is causing the problem, or how I can fix this?

Market, gmail and maps seem to be working fine.... so it's not a gapps issue probably.

I did have to re-flash my phone yesterday morning due to a lock-up in twitter, then my phone wouldn't boot past g1 screen. I did a complete wipe of all cache, then system reset, and then flashed 5.0.8 Final, Font Fix, Gapps, and then reboot. Everything seemed to be working great... until last night when all this crap started. Thanks for the help in advance. I'd like to get this working again. My phone was working amazing until Tuesday morning.

Below is my log file to see if that helps. I don't really understand how to get anything from the log file, but I know it helps a lot of people figure out what's wrong.

Edit: Decided not to paste the entire log in here, and instead attach a file document.

#2 tylermoney

tylermoney
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
    CM 5.0.8 Final
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

Have gone through the entire day. Browser app still crashing instantaneously on "attempted start."

Any help would be much appreciated.

#3 3mp0w3r

3mp0w3r
  • Members
  • 1120 posts
    ie - Ireland
  • Device Model:
    HTC Dream
  • CM Version:
    CM D-S nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:03 PM

View Posttylermoney, on 01 July 2010 - 03:20 PM, said:

Hello,

Last night while checking out my twitter, I tried opening a link from a tweet. Browser would start, go white, then the twitter app would come back. I tried t his several times. It never went to the link. I thought maybe it was just the link, so I tried other links from other tweets. Same effect. I figured it was just the twitter app. This morning, I tried running the Browser on it's own. Same thing. It never gave me a FC, just automatically closed. Tried it at least 15 times... never loaded. I then tried loading skyfire, and it sat on a black screen until it gave me an FC every time I tried using it. I then tried with Dolphin Browser. I can use dolphin browser fine, and it works great; however, neither of the others do.

I ran fix permissions in both console and terminal emulator (the first time I ran it in the emulator, it got caught  up, and I had to pull the battery. It was fine after that), then I cleared all my cache in  recovery. Browser/Skyfire still do not work. Any thoughts on what is causing the problem, or how I can fix this?

Market, gmail and maps seem to be working fine.... so it's not a gapps issue probably.

I did have to re-flash my phone yesterday morning due to a lock-up in twitter, then my phone wouldn't boot past g1 screen. I did a complete wipe of all cache, then system reset, and then flashed 5.0.8 Final, Font Fix, Gapps, and then reboot. Everything seemed to be working great... until last night when all this crap started. Thanks for the help in advance. I'd like to get this working again. My phone was working amazing until Tuesday morning.

Below is my log file to see if that helps. I don't really understand how to get anything from the log file, but I know it helps a lot of people figure out what's wrong.

Edit: Decided not to paste the entire log in here, and instead attach a file document.

I'm having the same issue, browser crashing, I've tried lots of them, only Dolphin is working, even that has crashed back to home a few times.

It's like they're getting kicked oom, no force close, just poof, back to home. I'll look at your log later, compare to mine. I'd say the browsers need higher oom priority, or something like that, so lets investigate..

#4 Jacko.Mayhem

Jacko.Mayhem
  • Members
  • 177 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
    5.0.8-DS
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

Try shutting down some background apps. When the browser locks up, it's usually due to a lack of resources.

#5 Satchmo

Satchmo
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:louisnorthmore
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

Posted my log in this thread too:

http://forum.cyanoge...-of/#entry18256

Here's a snippet:

I/ActivityManager(  137): Starting activity: Intent { act=android.intent.action.
MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10200000 cmp=com.android.brows
er/.BrowserActivity bnds=[185,430][255,480] }
I/ActivityManager(  137): Start proc com.android.browser for activity com.androi
d.browser/.BrowserActivity: pid=16246 uid=10031 gids={3003, 1015}
I/ActivityManager(  137): Process com.android.settings (pid 16240) has died.
I/ActivityManager(  137): Low Memory: No more background processes.
I/ActivityThread(16246): Publishing provider browser: com.android.browser.Browse
rProvider
I/DEBUG   (14265): *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *
I/DEBUG   (14265): Build fingerprint: 'google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.1-updat
e1/ERE27/24178:user/release-keys'
I/DEBUG   (14265): pid: 16246, tid: 16246  >>> com.android.browser <<<
I/DEBUG   (14265): signal 11 (SIGSEGV), fault addr befb1348<SNIP>
I/DEBUG   (14265):	 bec3888c  ad018dac  /system/lib/libdvm.so
I/ActivityManager(  137): Process com.android.browser (pid 16246) has died.
D/Zygote  (  122): Process 16246 terminated by signal (11)
I/UsageStats(  137): Unexpected resume of com.android.launcher while already res
umed in com.android.browser

#6 3mp0w3r

3mp0w3r
  • Members
  • 1120 posts
    ie - Ireland
  • Device Model:
    HTC Dream
  • CM Version:
    CM D-S nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:38 PM

View PostJacko.Mayhem, on 01 July 2010 - 11:21 PM, said:

Try shutting down some background apps. When the browser locks up, it's usually due to a lack of resources.

I have no background apps running, at all, tried stock browser, skyfire, xscope, all going poof back to home, no locking up, they just get killed.

No swap, no jit, no sh1t, fix_permissions, wiped all.

#7 3mp0w3r

3mp0w3r
  • Members
  • 1120 posts
    ie - Ireland
  • Device Model:
    HTC Dream
  • CM Version:
    CM D-S nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:45 PM

View PostSatchmo, on 01 July 2010 - 11:34 PM, said:

Posted my log in this thread too:

http://forum.cyanoge...-of/#entry18256

Here's a snippet:

I/ActivityManager(  137): Starting activity: Intent { act=android.intent.action.
MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10200000 cmp=com.android.brows
er/.BrowserActivity bnds=[185,430][255,480] }
I/ActivityManager(  137): Start proc com.android.browser for activity com.androi
d.browser/.BrowserActivity: pid=16246 uid=10031 gids={3003, 1015}
I/ActivityManager(  137): Process com.android.settings (pid 16240) has died.
I/ActivityThread(16246): Publishing provider browser: com.android.browser.Browse
rProvider
I/DEBUG   (14265): *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *
I/DEBUG   (14265): Build fingerprint: 'google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.1-updat
e1/ERE27/24178:user/release-keys'
I/DEBUG   (14265): pid: 16246, tid: 16246  >>> com.android.browser <<<
I/DEBUG   (14265): signal 11 (SIGSEGV), fault addr befb1348<SNIP>
I/DEBUG   (14265):	 bec3888c  ad018dac  /system/lib/libdvm.so
I/ActivityManager(  137): Process com.android.browser (pid 16246) has died.
D/Zygote  (  122): Process 16246 terminated by signal (11)
I/UsageStats(  137): Unexpected resume of com.android.launcher while already res
umed in com.android.browser

I think that 'signal 11 (SIGSEV)' is what's killing yours, I'm no expert, we can try find out what it is tho.

#8 Dancing Wombat

Dancing Wombat
  • Members
  • 8 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
    5.0.8 final
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

I haven't seen the browser crash like that in a while.  But when I did (usually after a FW upgrade), going in to application settings and clearing the browser's cache would fix it.

#9 3mp0w3r

3mp0w3r
  • Members
  • 1120 posts
    ie - Ireland
  • Device Model:
    HTC Dream
  • CM Version:
    CM D-S nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:33 AM

View PostDancing Wombat, on 01 July 2010 - 11:52 PM, said:

I haven't seen the browser crash like that in a while.  But when I did (usually after a FW upgrade), going in to application settings and clearing the browser's cache would fix it.

Nope, not for me anyway, cache is cleared often, no difference.

#10 tylermoney

tylermoney
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
    CM 5.0.8 Final
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

Cache has been cleared several times to no avail. The issues is across multiple browsers, so it's something besides cache. It doesn't matter wether I have other processes running or not. It will do it directly after a reboot, and even after it's been sitting idle charging for 4hrs. I can only get dolphin browser to work. I have not been using that enough the last two days to see if that eventually crashes, but this is a serious problem for sure. I'm probably just going to have to run an nandroid or  re-flash again. I'll probably just wait for the update this weekend. If it's still doing it then, I don't know what the next steps are, but if other experiencing  the problem are as frustrated as I am, I'm hoping someone has an idea on how to fix it.

#11 juzz

juzz
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Twitter:garshol
    no - Norway
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen 6.1 N1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

My dolphinis also crashing, just like the standard browser.
Infact, every browser crashes for me...

#12 BenderTheDroid

BenderTheDroid
  • Members
  • 6 posts
    de - Germany
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-6.0.0-DS-RC2
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

Same for me, i tried the bulit in browser and the dolphin, all are crashing when i try to access the net, all other apps funtion normally.

Edited by BenderTheDroid, 12 August 2010 - 06:49 PM.

#13 Kishan

Kishan

No more iDoesn't

• Donators
  • 14 posts
  • Twitter:KishanRathod
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC One XL
  • CM Version:
    Stable
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

same thing happen with my G1. I ran adb and it looked like history for the browser or some kind of history causing browser to fail. I wanted to clear history without opening browser using adb but I couldn't find a way to do that so I just flashed 5.0.8 reboot and then flashed cm 6 and browser is working now but phone application is not working.
     Just so you know I tried fix_permissions and wipe few times but no luck.

#14 jsp254

jsp254
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Twitter:jsp254
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    htc evo shift and G1
  • CM Version:
    cm7rc4.1 and cm6.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

did anyone ever figure out what was causing this? i'm having same problem with cm 6.1.0 d/s

#15 Fitchman

Fitchman
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One
  • CM Version:
    Latest Stable
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:31 PM

A lot of the strangeness like that seems to have to do with the apk's not being fully installed on flash. A full, full wipe (not sure what that's considered these days) and making sure you use gapps tiny may do the trick?

#16 Andrew Low

Andrew Low
  • Members
  • 127 posts
  • Twitter:andrew_low
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
  • CM Version:
    11 nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:31 PM

I've had my G1 enter this state as well.  A wipe/reflash fixed me up.

In my case, something had managed to corrupt one of the system files on the device.  A flush of your dalvik caches might fix you, but only if the corruption is in the cache vs. the original .apk.

You might be able to avoid the system wipe and just reflash the CM ROM / Gapps.  This should leave your apps and data -  but always nandroid backup just in case (of course, the backup may not help as the system is corrupted and you never want to restore..)