Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Wifi not working on Stable Mod

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 ctknow

ctknow
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    nook color
  • CM Version:
    cm7 stable
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:19 AM

Starting yesterday, my WIFI simply just stopped working.  On occasion, it says "connecting...", but after a few seconds, it always ends up with "disconnected".  Under the list of WiFi networks, no live networks are being identified.  Only those which I previously entered manually show up, but even those say "Not in range".

Whatever is the real cause, the system appears as if the wifi was just turned off, or there literally are no networks (definitely neither of which is  the case).  Or simply that the wifi card can't be accessed.

I know the wifi works, because I tried an older bootable uSD card, and it works when I remove the uSD card and boot into Nook.

What I've tried:
- toggled the wifi on/off
- restarted
- reinstalled RC4, didn't work, reinstalled Stable version

Without wifi, the tablet is next to useless.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 tekumel

tekumel
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color & Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:09 AM

I'm having the same problem on my NC. I've tried the same steps as ctknow, even trying deleting all remembered networks and readding. No WiFi activity detected.

#3 Robert Chadwick

Robert Chadwick
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    None Yet
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:45 AM

I had a similar problem. Wifi suddenly couldn't find any access points. It was like the antenna was internally disconnected. It was enabled, and seemed to work, just couldn't find anything. I deleted all my saved access points, and it sprung back to life. A day later, the same thing happened. This time, I only had to delete a few access points until it started working. Second time around, I was able to restore from a backup I made the day before. It would be nice if there was a real fix for this, but backups seem to be a viable solution so far. Just hope this doesn't happen every day.

#4 tekumel

tekumel
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color & Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:55 AM

It's problems like this that really make me regret that 63 character WPA key...

#5 SVJ

SVJ
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • Twitter:easternpa
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Barnes and Noble NC
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Same here. I've tried to bounce the wifi from the toggle switch in the notification bar drop down, but I can never get it come back. My current best solution is to go all the way into the settings and shut off the wifi there. Let it sit for a few minutes and then bring it back up. It is a really weird error after it worked flawlessly in a hotel, at work, and in another residence -- although both of those other locations are wide open, mine is WPA2.

#6 txh00kem

txh00kem
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    B&N Nook, Atrix 4G
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:25 AM

I wouldn't call this an actual fix, but it works for me.  I just flashed the stable mod and was having the connectivity issues you guys were talking about. Rebooting and forgetting my network helped get me connected, but signal was still poor even though my router sits on my desk where I was using my nook. Rebooting did not help that. I installed wifi manager from the app market and it seems to have resolved the poor signal issue.  After installing the wifi manager, I noticed the signal strength was full in the wifi manager, but still poor on nook wifi status.  So I disabled/enabled wifi using wifi manager and the nook wifi icon finally recognized full strength and I connected no problem. Sooooooo, yep.

#7 IMAGEBOX

IMAGEBOX
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    au - Australia
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

I had the same problem after the 7.0.2 upgrade. After that I just lost my patience trying to fix the wifi off/on problem so I restored to my very stable 7.0 backup and I think I will leave it there for a while until I can see some more positive comments about the build.

#8 kp4c

kp4c
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    RC4 (7.0.0)
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:40 AM

My problem is that everything was going swell on 7.0.0, but when I flashed 7.0.2 the WiFi became really inconsistent. It said that I was connected, but wouldn't load any web pages or the market. So I flashed my backup of 7.0.0 and now the problem is still occurring. It'll say I'm connected but actual internet will last only a few seconds, before just dying out.

#9 Zamboniman

Zamboniman
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire, Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

I'm having the exact same problem. What's really strange is that if I reboot my nook into stock, it still won't connect properly. Just like in CM7, it'll say connected but obviously isn't.

This implies that the driver is doing something to the wifi hardware.

I can't even ping the router from a terminal on the nook.

Even stranger, if I reboot my ROUTER it will start working again. For a while. Then it will stop. The obvious conclusion here is that it's a router issue. The problem is, no other devices (and the family has quite a few computers, phones, video games, etc) are having an issue connecting to my router. My nook didn't have this issue at all until I upgraded. It's very odd.

#10 Ultrarock

Ultrarock
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Getting the same wifi issue. I have the HTC Aria with CM 7.0.2. Just put it on yesterday. Everything has gone smooth other than the wifi bug. If I power cycle my router then it will connect for a while, but eventually will drop. If I have it connected and restart the phone then it will not connect without power cycling my router. Rather annoying bug for home use. Hope to hear of a fix if someone comes across one.

#11 mild7

mild7
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    B&N Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

I found a work around that worked for me.

In trying to find a solution I went back to CyanogenMod-7.0.0-encore I cannot say if this will work for other versions as I have not tried it.

First you need to know the IP range your router assigns. This can be found in your router setup page, usually under DNS settings. Default ranges may be something like 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.100

You also need to know the address of your router, usually the IP you enter to get to the router settings.

1. Once you know the IP range your router assigns, on your nook goto SETTINGS - WIRELESS AND NETWORKS - WIFI SETTINGS

2. Tap the menu button and select ADVANCED

3. tick STATIC IP

4. Enter a IP address within the range your router assigns (use a higher one to avoid conflicts)

5. Enter the GATEWAY - use your routers IP address on your network

6. Enter NETMASK - usually 255.255.255.0

7. Enter DNS1 - use your routers IP address again.

That worked for me.

To use a hotspot other than your home router, you'll probably need to change these settings to untick static IP.

#12 frizbeano

frizbeano
  • Donators
  • 8 posts
    ie - Ireland
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color & HTC Hero
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

I had the same problem. When I updated from the stable 7.0 to anything above I kept getting wifi issues. I would connect and get some packets sent for maybe a couple of seconds then the whole wifi would stop working. It looked as if it was still connected and I would be able to ping stuff but I think any request that had a lot of info to receive was not working.

I know there is a lot of solutions but this is what solved it for me.

First off I used the tether on my phone to see if it had the same issue but lo and behold it worked fine. So I had a look at my router settings and did some messing around.

I was using WPA2-TKIP as my form of encryption and my password size was around 30 chars. I changed this to WPA2-AES with the same password and it worked perfect.

I also changed the my router to use G instead of B-G but I'm not sure if this was a problem.

I hope this works for some of you.

#13 Ultrarock

Ultrarock
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

Issue fixed in 7.0.3 for me! Thanks for the helpful replies.

#14 Robert Chadwick

Robert Chadwick
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    None Yet
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

I wish 7.0.3 fixed it for me. Still having weird wifi issues, although it seems to completely freak out less often. Wifi also seems to be connected to Bluetooth (I know they use the same chipset, and actually are connected, but ideally shouldn't act like it). Sometimes connecting Bluetooth disconnects Wifi, and sometimes I have to disable Wifi to connect to my Bluetooth GPS.

#15 cashmore1985

cashmore1985
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Thunderbolt
  • CM Version:
    Bloat free, relatively senseless stock rom
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:23 AM

I am having the same issue. Wifi appears to connect but does not do anything. Google can't sync, can't get the Market etc... I'm on 7.0.3 I went back to my backup of 7.0.0 and still had the problem.

Edit: I rebooted my router and forgot all networks on my NC. It seems to be working for now. Also, I told WIFI to never sleep in the advanced wifi settings. Hopefully my problem goes away.

Edited by cashmore1985, 17 May 2011 - 04:25 AM.

#16 ynottony

ynottony
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

I changed the name of my device from android-xxxxxxxxxxxxx to just android and that seemed to help my wifi issues.

#17 pseca

pseca
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:53 PM

What worked for me was "FORGET"-ing all the access points that are already listed. Once I removed all of them, the wifi started detecting again.

#18 jack4001

jack4001
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    nook color
  • CM Version:
    unsure
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:42 AM

Thanks to everyone that posted one this blog.  I've had my nook color rooted for about a month now (totally love it) and today it lost the wifi.  I was unsure of what to do until I read all these post.  I removed all my connections and re-search for my home network - now its working again.  Thanks again!!!  I'd be lost without this site!!

#19 RonD

RonD
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:41 PM

I had the same problem yesterday when I updated from 174 to 177. I forgot and then added the account back and it is working great.

#20 Spiza

Spiza
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color Atrix
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:37 AM

I'm having a similar problem.  I've tried 7, 7.0.2, and 7.0.3, but all of them have the same problem.  The wifi will connect for about 2 minutes, then it loses everything.  I've tried most of the above settings, but not sure how to change device name.  Are there any new ideas on this?

Also, I recovered to stock, and wifi works fine.