Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

What is emmc used for?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BEan

BEan
  • Members
  • 73 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    motorola droid & nook
  • CM Version:
    CM 7 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

I know this will make me sound like a noob: What is the emmc partition and what can I do with it? How can I access it? I haven't had my Nook color for long and I just saw this partition for the first time today. Is there a way to re partition the nook so I can combine the 5gb emmc with the internal storage?

#2 it hurts to pee

it hurts to pee
  • Members
  • 20 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:06 PM

View PostBEan, on 19 April 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

I know this will make me sound like a noob: What is the emmc partition and what can I do with it? How can I access it? I haven't had my Nook color for long and I just saw this partition for the first time today. Is there a way to re partition the nook so I can combine the 5gb emmc with the internal storage?
Unless I'm mistaken, emmc is your internal storage. Wikipedia has a little information.

#3 FatTire

FatTire
  • Members
  • 52 posts
  • Twitter:fat__tire
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4 & 7, Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    self-built from git
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:08 AM

View Postit hurts to pee, on 20 April 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

Unless I'm mistaken, emmc is your internal storage. Wikipedia has a little information.

the emmc is the internal storage card, akin to a hard drive in some ways.  There is a partition in CM7 called "/emmc" which just refers to that portion of the emmc which isn't being used by the basic cm7 install and is essentially your space to put whatever you like-- media, extraneous files.  Unlike the /sdcard partition, which can be used for the same purpose, the /emmc partition is not removable.

Hope this helps

#4 JLCollier2005

JLCollier2005
  • Members
  • 34 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Charge/Nook/Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM7/CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:09 PM

So far the only thing I've used it for is backing up my ebooks, although there was no reason I needed to do this (was just because Calibre automatically put them there).  I don't put very many mp3's or videos on my nook, so I don't know if I'll ever use it for anything more, but it's nice to know it's there, increasing my 8gig SD card to 13.

#5 annoyed

annoyed
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook
  • CM Version:
    Unknown
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

You can mount it like a SD card: Settings > Storage > Additional storage: /mnt/emmc > Mount SD card