Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Non-compatible apps

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shanhalt14

Shanhalt14
  • Members
  • 53 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    NOOKcolor
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

It's a well-kown issue that some apps don't show up in the market because they are "not compatible" with the device.  How does the market evaluate your device to determine compatibility?  Is it a hardware issue or a software issue?  Even apps that have a phone version and a tablet version (example: USA Today) seem to deny the Nook.

Also, is there a known workaround or a project underway to get greater compatibility?  I've heard of some people sideloading apps but they refuse to update and it's difficult to find the files.

#2 bigd5783

bigd5783
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Thunderbolt
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Pre-Alpha
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

View PostShanhalt14, on 27 April 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

It's a well-kown issue that some apps don't show up in the market because they are "not compatible" with the device.  How does the market evaluate your device to determine compatibility?  Is it a hardware issue or a software issue?  Even apps that have a phone version and a tablet version (example: USA Today) seem to deny the Nook.

Also, is there a known workaround or a project underway to get greater compatibility?  I've heard of some people sideloading apps but they refuse to update and it's difficult to find the files.

I believe if you change the build.prop file you will be able to pull up more apps.

#3 Shanhalt14

Shanhalt14
  • Members
  • 53 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    NOOKcolor
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

View Postbigd5783, on 29 April 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

I believe if you change the build.prop file you will be able to pull up more apps.

I just opened my build.prop to have a look and the fingerprint already says passion 2.3.3 (this is with CM 7.0.2, and I assume it's spoofing the Google Nexus One).  What do you suggest I change it to?

More specifically: ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion:2.3.3/GRI40/102588:user/release-keys

Edited by Shanhalt14, 29 April 2011 - 04:42 PM.

#4 jjpike

jjpike
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC TB/NC
  • CM Version:
    DAS BAMF 1.5 Remix/CM7.02
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

View PostShanhalt14, on 27 April 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

I'd be curious about what apps aren't showing up.  I know that more apps show up now that I've installed CM7 then did when I had the basic nook just rooted.

I'm not sure but I believe the apps that show up are based on the API level of the version of Android running on your device.

#5 Shanhalt14

Shanhalt14
  • Members
  • 53 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    NOOKcolor
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:45 AM

View Postjjpike, on 30 April 2011 - 12:00 AM, said:

I'd be curious about what apps aren't showing up.  I know that more apps show up now that I've installed CM7 then did when I had the basic nook just rooted.

I'm not sure but I believe the apps that show up are based on the API level of the version of Android running on your device.
I'm running CM 7.0.2 right now, but some apps don't appear in the market regardless. In addition to both USA today apps, gas buddy doesn't seem compatible, and I've heard of a few people looking for CNN. I've tried market enabler and editing the build.prop but no dice.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

#6 nickcv

nickcv
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • Device Model:
    Droid Incredible
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:54 AM

The new Google Docs app shows up on my Incredible but not my Nook, both running 7.0.2. Strange.

#7 jcn115

jcn115
  • Members
  • 8 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    htc hero cdma
  • CM Version:
    cyan 7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

View Postnickcv, on 30 April 2011 - 03:54 AM, said:

The new Google Docs app shows up on my Incredible but not my Nook, both running 7.0.2. Strange.

I have a solution that it seems to work. I downloaded Google Docs in my HTC Hero (running CM7), then using Titanium Backup I back up the Doc app into the SD card. Move the SD card to Nook, and restore the app (App+Data). It seems to work.

#8 Bapf0r

Bapf0r
  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Twitter:nullniveau
    de - Germany
  • Device Model:
    flo/mako/hws7300u/vision
  • CM Version:
    10.2.x
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:00 AM

You could also just copy the API file from /data/app but this doesn't help someone without a second android device.
But I read somewhere (I think the nightlies thread if I remember correctly) that this issue should be fixed with one of the next nightlies.

#9 Shanhalt14

Shanhalt14
  • Members
  • 53 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    NOOKcolor
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:15 AM

View PostBapf0r, on 01 May 2011 - 12:00 AM, said:

But I read somewhere (I think the nightlies thread if I remember correctly) that this issue should be fixed with one of the next nightlies.

oo. don't toy with me. That would be awesome.
Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

#10 Bapf0r

Bapf0r
  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Twitter:nullniveau
    de - Germany
  • Device Model:
    flo/mako/hws7300u/vision
  • CM Version:
    10.2.x
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:51 AM

View PostShanhalt14, on 01 May 2011 - 01:15 AM, said:

oo. don't toy with me. That would be awesome.
Why should I toy with you? :)
I just spent a few minutes searching but I didn't find it any more. But I'm quite sure I read it somewhere. Could also have been over on xda or on twitter.