Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

WiFi Calling

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frailn

frailn
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0 Vibrant
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

In the FAQ:

Q: Is Wi-Fi Calling supported on CyanogenMod 7?
A: No. As neither maintainer that has this phone has a T-Mobile account, they don't have any way to test or develop this. This will likely have to come from a third-party (or someone willing to join to help bring it to the stock kernel).

If users were to donate funds to the developers towards the purchase of a T-Mobile SIM card and pay-as-you-go minutes card, would you consider developing WiFi calling?

#2 Kaik541

Kaik541

The Arsehole Samsung Moderator

• Moderators
  • 598 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

View Postfrailn, on 02 June 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

If users were to donate funds to the developers towards the purchase of a T-Mobile SIM card and pay-as-you-go minutes card, would you consider developing WiFi calling?

well there's only one person who would even be remotely capable of utilizing this, and that's atinm. coolya lives in Germany and a T-Mobile US card wouldn't help him at all. atinm has already said he doesn't want someone buying him a SIM card but he's gone by the T-Mobile stores near his house to see how much they cost. This is very low priority right now, and there are far larger bugs to squish, but hopefully if atinm doesn't have the time someone can come along and try to help contribute (nothing's stopping anyone from contributing).

#3 Segnaro

Segnaro
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0 Vibrant
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:35 AM

I tried this project a couple of months ago. The dead end was that you need to use the closed source RILs... so it might actually work this time.

Edited by Segnaro, 05 June 2011 - 03:16 AM.

#4 DjXero

DjXero
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

I have gotten Wifi only calling to work!!!..i dont have the money to pay for T-Mobile.. i was looking for ways to get calling on my phone for free.... and i have done it twice... the first time was through.... http://www.pbxes.com/ .... sorry idk how to link stuff(while im intoxicated)... AND Google Voice(with my GV number) ... through "SIPDROID" (search it on android market)... that has failed me recently beacause now they require a subscription to their payed account to use their service... and YES that will be the easiest way to do it.. if you have the money.. (i on the other hand... do not)... The other way to do it... and is the way i do it now.. is by getting another number through.. http://www.ipkall.com/ .... and setting up... http://www.iptel.org/ .... it is confusing... but if you are modding your phone then you are half way there... the iptel for me doesnt let me login through their main site... but if you click on their link "subscribe" you will be sent to a different server and login from that site.. (if you dont get it... SEND ME A MESSAGE... and ill help you out)... anyway.. just set up the iptel to use your ipkall number... and then link your google voice to ring your ipkall number.... punch this in on SIPDROID..... THIS ONLY WORKS FOR INCOMING CALLS..................... UNTIL.......... you get this app called.. GVOICE CALLBACK.... link it to call back your account and BAM.... Free calls over wifi..

ps.. i am DRUNK... i will revise when i get time... and sober upp.. lol...

#5 frailn

frailn
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Vibrant
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0 Vibrant
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

View PostDjXero, on 18 June 2011 - 09:54 AM, said:

I have gotten Wifi only calling to work!!!

Great news! Thanks, man. Would you be willing to post the steps you took to get this to work in a new thread?

#6 DjXero

DjXero
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

***I tweaked a post off of the web.. its what i used to figure out this whole process... but i added a few things to smooth it out***
***the original post is here.. to give credit to where i found it... http://www.overclock...ls-via-sip.html ***

First, create your iptel.org account http://www.iptel.org

Check your E-Mails and verify your account.

go to http://www.ipkall.com submit a request for a phone number It might take a while to get an E-Mail so be patient.. i got mine in a few hours

Account Type:
SIP
Choose Area Code: Choose whatever area code you want. They're all Washington state area codes.
SIP Phone Number: Whatever your IPTel.org username is. If it's John.Doe21, then John.Doe21 is your SIP Phone Number.
SIP Proxy: iptel.org
E-Mail Address: Your E-Mail Address
Password: your password

Your username is going to be the phone number that IPKall E-Mails you once they approve you or get a number or do whatever process they go through.

set up your iptel account... this is where i ran into trouble.. you cant log in on the iptel.org site for some reason.. but if you hit the forgot password it will link you to a different portal... http://serweb.iptel....ser/index.php.. login from there

first name: xxxxx your name.. i dont think it matters
last name:  xxxxx again ... i dont think it matters
email: your main E-mail
phone: (YOUR IPKALL NUMBER)
language: English
timezone: pick your timezone.

Now, to configure your number to receive calls in SIPDROID https://market.andro...e=search_result

SIP Account Settings:

Authorization user name:
[email protected]
Password: Your IPTel.org password.
Server or Proxy: iptel.org

Once your receive your IPKall number and have it configured, link the number as a forwarding number on your Google voice settings page

You can only receive calls and talk to the other person (incoming). You can't start a call (outbound).

THATS WHERE GVOICE CALLBACK COMES IN http://market.androi...e=search_result

after you have ipkall as one of your forwarding numbers in google voice you should be able to log in to your Google account in the callback app and set your callback phone to the Ipkall number

!!!AND YOU NOW HAVE FREE WIFI CALLING!!!!.. well im sure you can still use this through your data connection.. but i dont have any phone service at all.. so i cant test it out that way..

#7 DjXero

DjXero
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

View Postfrailn, on 18 June 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

Great news! Thanks, man. Would you be willing to post the steps you took to get this to work in a new thread?

i dont know where to put it... im sure that this would be great for the whole community... so if any admins see this.. could they please place this where it should go and link it from this thread.. so other people that stumble on this can find it...

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

#8 Kaik541

Kaik541

The Arsehole Samsung Moderator

• Moderators
  • 598 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

The method listed above is *not* T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling feature. it is simply the integrated SIP account that is native to gingerbread. this is no different than any number of other SIP providers, this thread is about specifically T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling.

SIP + Google Voice != T-Mobile Wi-Fi (which uses your native phone number for areas with low reception and is based on--I believe--UMA technology).

Edited by Kaik541, 18 June 2011 - 06:28 PM.

#9 DjXero

DjXero
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:44 AM

View PostKaik541, on 18 June 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

The method listed above is *not* T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling feature. it is simply the integrated SIP account that is native to gingerbread. this is no different than any number of other SIP providers, this thread is about specifically T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling.

sorry.. i didnt realize that ... but it IS another way to get wifi calling... and if you just add your T-Mobile number to your google voice.. wouldnt it just be the same?... like i said.. i dont pay for phone service.. so i wouldnt be able to use T-Mobile's wi-fi calling anyway