Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Skype on Nook Color

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cobiecat

cobiecat
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3 stable encore
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

I have Skype installed on my Nook Color (current Cyanogen stable mod installed). After figuring out that the top of the button needed to get past the Skype splash screen is just visible at the top of the soft menu bar I was able to select it and log into my account, see my contacts etc. OK, so this may be a bit academic since apparently bluetooth headsets aren't quite working yet, but I wanted to see if wifi calls could be made from the Nook.

When I dial a number (cell, Vonnage, or land line) the phone I'm calling rings once and then drops out with a call failed message. All of the phones I'm trying to call are in the same room as the Nook. My thought was that if the phone I'm calling would keep ringing, then I would know Skype was working - maybe I could even answer the call and hear myself talk over the Nook speaker. My complete ignorance is evident, but does anyone have any thoughts on why the Skype calls fail after one ring? Is it Skype, the Nook, lack of an additional needed app, Cyanogen, or what? I've looked through the likely looking settings and fiddled around a bit, but no luck so far.

Thanks in Advance.

#2 nbb

nbb
  • Members
  • 14 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    NookColor
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

Not possible at this time. They are working on getting it working. It may be possible using a bluetooth headset. Although it made the news in March that someone had gotten it working, research has not provided any way of doing it at this time. It should be coming.

#3 cobiecat

cobiecat
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3 stable encore
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

Thanks much, I'll give up for now. I've got to say the Nook makes a fantastic tablet for the money. Netflix looks and works really nice, the Nook app fills in fine for the original, and all the other market and stock apps work as expected. Great work by the Cyanogen guys!

Not possible at this time. They are working on getting it working. It may be possible using a bluetooth headset. Although it made the news in March that someone had gotten it working, research has not provided any way of doing it at this time. It should be coming.

#4 MickMcGeough

MickMcGeough
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Nightly 93
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

I had the same problem on 7.0.3 but I can successfully make calls on N93. Problem is, I can't end the calls. I click "End Call" and the button goes grey but it never disconnects. I have to force Skype closed with Advanced Task Killer.

#5 cobiecat

cobiecat
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3 stable encore
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:30 PM

Hey that's interesting - I'm assuming that by 'successfully making calls' you mean that the receiving phone keeps ringing, right?  I gather bluetooth headsets aren't working yet, or by chance did you have any luck with that running N93?

Not to change subjects, but I'm a newbie at this. I used clockworkmod to install stable 7.0.3. To install a nightly build (say N93) do I just boot off my SD card with clockworkmod and open the N93 zip file? Will previously installed programs run afterwards or do I need to restore them from a backup?

#6 MickMcGeough

MickMcGeough
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Nightly 93
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

View Postcobiecat, on 07 June 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

Hey that's interesting - I'm assuming that by 'successfully making calls' you mean that the receiving phone keeps ringing, right?  I gather bluetooth headsets aren't working yet, or by chance did you have any luck with that running N93?

Not to change subjects, but I'm a newbie at this. I used clockworkmod to install stable 7.0.3. To install a nightly build (say N93) do I just boot off my SD card with clockworkmod and open the N93 zip file? Will previously installed programs run afterwards or do I need to restore them from a backup?
Using ROM Manager is the easiest way. It will install an up-to-date CWM on the internal memory, and will automatically download whatever nightly you want to install, then boot into CWM, install the ROM, and reboot.

I'm still pretty new at this too. Your /data partition will be retained, so in my case, -most- of my apps were still there. You'll have to install the google apps separately, they were gone in my case (I was running phiremod 6.3 before).

Also if you want a newer OC kernel you'll have to install that separately too (install from zip via CWM).

#7 cobiecat

cobiecat
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3 stable encore
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

Thanks much - I'll give ROM Manager a shot.