Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

HTC Sense on CyanogenMod ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johndoe

johndoe
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:01 AM

Hello, firstly - I'd like to apologise for 2 things:
1) if I may sound / look like a total newbie (the fact is: I really am a nub).
2) I'm not entirely sure whether this thread should be here or in the HTC Magic theme forum.

My question is in regards to the HTC Sense for HTC Magic:
http://www.htc.com/h...765&news_id=355

I'm currently using HTC Magic (32B) w/ CyanogenMod 5.0.7

0) What is the HTC Sense for HTC Magic ? Is it a complete ROM (like Cyanogen) or merely a theme ?
1) Probably my real question (depending on question #0) is: can I keep using CyanogenMod w/ HTC Sense as the theme ?
2) If the answer for #1 is 'no' then - is there any theme out there that's pretty much work and/or feel like the HTC Sense ?

Much appreciated for your time and patience.

#2 smashman42

smashman42
  • Donators
  • 165 posts
  • Twitter:smashman42
    au - Australia
  • Device Model:
    LG Optimus 2X P990
  • CM Version:
    Cm10 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:10 AM

0) It is a complete official non-rooted rom, basically turning a 32A magic into a Hero software wise (1.5 with sense UI on top, don't think the 2.1 sense is out officially for the older devices yet, is it?  I know there are 11ty billion cooked 2.1 sense roms)

1) Not a theme so you can't load it on top

2) No idea, I've heard some mention "Beautiful Widgets" on the market gives a sense look & some aspects of custom launchers can do parts of it, but having never played with a sense rom I don't know how close they are/what bits imitate what.

Hopefully someone knows more about it but I'd say some variation of 2) is what you'll be looking for.

#3 Mr_Tricorder

Mr_Tricorder

Really Impressive Title

• Donators
  • 753 posts
  • Twitter:Mr_Tricorder
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Epic 4G Touch
  • CM Version:
    Leaked EL13 + Root
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:39 AM

HTC Sense is a whole proprietary framework that HTC adds on top of android for several of their devices.  Many moons ago, Cyanogen included parts of the Sense framework in Cyanogenmod, but ever since the Google cease & desist order from last fall, he's been dedicated to making CM 100% legal, which means that he won't use anything from SenseUI since it's all proprietary code owned by HTC and does not fall under the same open source license that the android OS itself falls under.

There are, however, some themes out there that can give CM a Sense-like look to it, but not any of the widgets or added functionality that are included in Sense.  The one that comes to mind is the Community Hero Mod (CHM), but I don't know if this one has been updated to work with CM 5.0.7 or not.

As for Beautiful Widgets, they used to mimic the look and feel of the widgets included in Sense very closely until HTC hit them with a C&D.  Now Beautiful Widgets have been re-worked so they don't resemble Sense widgets so closely, but they are skinnable (at least the clock+weather widget is), so users have made skins to bring back the Sense-style look.

#4 Shahar Or

Shahar Or
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • Twitter:sh_or
  • Device Model:
    Various
  • CM Version:
    Latest
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:02 PM

So What could be a suitable replacement for someone who is accustomed to Sense and still wants CM?

#5 jianC

jianC
  • Members
  • 74 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G1, Fuze, Merge
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:47 AM

Which cyanogen are you using?  Either flash the zip of vatsense or use metamorph (http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=865638)

or flash via recovery here: http://forum.cyanoge...post__p__128315 (Only if you have 307 NIGHTLY)

Download launcherpro, change the dock background to the sense one from the metamorph download and change all teh icons to the invisible icons and appropriate shortcuts.