Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

HTC ChaCha

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Androidarian

Androidarian
  • Members
  • 100 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC myTouch slide
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3, no recovery image
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

Cool, I'm looking forward to it.  I hope it might be in the upcoming CM9 release, as I'm about to buy a Chacha.

#2 Androidarian

Androidarian
  • Members
  • 100 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC myTouch slide
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3, no recovery image
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

Update: I just installed CM 7.2 on my ChaCha!  File MD5 is: e1b8a4f6b5b8f8b59e5d3ddf9a9a5b6f , it's available from various links.

IT WORKS!  Haven't tested it much but it definitely installs and boots just fine, and it's the familiar Cyanogenness.

Installation was easy.  Get the PH06img.zip file, put it on the SD card, boot into fastboot (vol-down + power), it will install Clockwork.  Boot into Clockwork and use it to install CM 7.2.zip.  Super easy, takes less than ten minutes.

There's only one catch, and it's a big big catch: The phone must be in S-OFF.  Without S-OFF, this process is a non-starter.  I did unlock using HTCDEV.com's unlocker process and that is not enough.  S-OFF is required.

Some of the ChaChas may have shipped S-OFF, but I think most were S-ON.  Mine was.

And from my research, the ONLY WAY to get S-OFF on this phone is to use the XTC Clip.  This is a hardware device you order.  It's delicate to use.  The XTC Clip software that it comes with is quite nice, definitely more professional than I would have expected.  Buying the XTC Clip is also tricky.  Apparently there is a real one, and a clone, and it can be hard to sort out what is what.  I got mine from GSM Traders LTD in Hong Kong, with payment going through PayPal, and it arrived quickly by FedEx.  Price was about $80, well worth it in my opinion.

I'm hoping that there will be official Cyanogen support for this device at some point, but until then, I'll try out the CM 7.2 unofficial.

It's annoying that this device requires a hardware-assisted unlocker, but that's the way it is apparently.  Too bad the same problem is soon going to be showing up in consumer PCs. :(

#3 Androidarian

Androidarian
  • Members
  • 100 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC myTouch slide
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3, no recovery image
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

I just installed this on three more Cha Chas.  These were black.  They shipped s-on.  I did not bother wit the HTCDEV unlock step, but went straight at them with the XTC Clip, and had Cyanogen on them within minutes!

#4 Alex C.

Alex C.
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC ChaCha/Status
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

We have reports of people having S-ON with unlocked bootloader via htcdev that flashed CM7 successfully so S-OFF is not necessary.

#5 Androidarian

Androidarian
  • Members
  • 100 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC myTouch slide
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3, no recovery image
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

I'm about to try CM9.  The MD5 of the June 28 build  cm-9-20120628-UNOFFICIAL-chacha.zip is 99a297a97f3aab021d78a95b740c***d.

As for running with S-ON, I've never tried it yet.  I use the XTC Clip to nuke the whole thing.