Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

MT4G Bricked?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dirtywings

dirtywings
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC MT4G
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

Forgive me for sounding like a n00b here XD I have 7.0.2 and it was running great for me. Then today, Google services started force closing over and over again. I rebooted the phone to see if it would help, and now it just gets stuck on the Cyanogenmod 7 loading screen, eventually freezing totally. I can't get the bootloader to work at all. I've tried removing the battery and still nothing. Is it bricked? If so, can I fix it? I had a friend help me root and flash this phone, so I'm not clear on all the details of how this works, so any help is greatly appreciated!!

#2 neidlinger

neidlinger
  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter:mjneid
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC MyTouchHD
  • CM Version:
    CM7N61
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

View Postdirtywings, on 25 June 2011 - 08:32 PM, said:

Forgive me for sounding like a n00b here XD I have 7.0.2 and it was running great for me. Then today, Google services started force closing over and over again. I rebooted the phone to see if it would help, and now it just gets stuck on the Cyanogenmod 7 loading screen, eventually freezing totally. I can't get the bootloader to work at all. I've tried removing the battery and still nothing. Is it bricked? If so, can I fix it? I had a friend help me root and flash this phone, so I'm not clear on all the details of how this works, so any help is greatly appreciated!!

How are you attempting to get into hBoot?

And this is why you should root your phone if you don't know what you are doing. Esp when i comes to flashing 3rd party ROMs.

Edited by neidlinger, 27 June 2011 - 04:07 PM.

#3 beanfootage

beanfootage
  • Members
  • 15 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC myTouch 4G
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

View Postdirtywings, on 25 June 2011 - 08:32 PM, said:

I bet your problem is similar to the one discussed here: http://forum.cyanoge...bricked-itself/

There seem to be a slew of phones with bad eMMC chips in the phone that spontaneously die eventually.  It's a hardware defect, so you can't do a lot about it, unfortunately.  There's more discussion going on in the xda-developers forums, like the thread linked from the second post in the link above.  It seems some people have succeeded in reviving their devices, but plenty have not.

#4 synaesthetic

synaesthetic
  • Members
  • 249 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    CM10.2 nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:15 PM

This is fixed. Her phone doesn't have a bad eMMC, she just had a bad flash and corrupted cache. Got her to boot into recovery and wipe cache and dalvik-cache, the phone booted fine. To be safe, I had her do a full wipe and reflash 7.0.3 with verified md5sum and everything works perfectly.

Edited by synaesthetic, 27 June 2011 - 11:16 PM.

#5 beanfootage

beanfootage
  • Members
  • 15 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC myTouch 4G
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:48 PM

View Postsynaesthetic, on 27 June 2011 - 11:15 PM, said:

This is fixed. Her phone doesn't have a bad eMMC, she just had a bad flash and corrupted cache. Got her to boot into recovery and wipe cache and dalvik-cache, the phone booted fine. To be safe, I had her do a full wipe and reflash 7.0.3 with verified md5sum and everything works perfectly.

Ah, thank goodness for that.  Lots of horror stories out there recently, so I'm glad to hear this wasn't one.

#6 Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC MT4g (Glacier)
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

I have a rooted MT4g on which I have been running CM7.0.3 for a while now. I first installed CM7.0.1, then 7.0.2 and then 7.0.3. Just today, i downloaded and flashed cm 7.1 rc1 using ROM Manager. I chose clear dalvik cache in the options After backup, and update, the phone restarted, and is stuck at the white Mytouch 4G screen. I have tried removing the battery and retried the whole thing, still nothing. Just stuck on the startup screen forever. It didnt even get to the CM7 startup screen.

Has anybody else seen this. How do I get to recovery so I can restore the backup? Help appreciated.

Thanks

#7 neidlinger

neidlinger
  • Members
  • 216 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC MyTouchHD
  • CM Version:
    CM7N61
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

View PostThunderstruck, on 28 June 2011 - 12:31 AM, said:

I have a rooted MT4g on which I have been running CM7.0.3 for a while now. I first installed CM7.0.1, then 7.0.2 and then 7.0.3. Just today, i downloaded and flashed cm 7.1 rc1 using ROM Manager. I chose clear dalvik cache in the options After backup, and update, the phone restarted, and is stuck at the white Mytouch 4G screen. I have tried removing the battery and retried the whole thing, still nothing. Just stuck on the startup screen forever. It didnt even get to the CM7 startup screen.

Has anybody else seen this. How do I get to recovery so I can restore the backup? Help appreciated.

Thanks

If you don't know how to manually get into recovery should you of rooted in the first place?  :blink:

Take the back off of the phone
Pull the battery
put the battery back in
put that battery cover back on the phone
press and hold the volume down rocker and the power button at the same time.
that will boot you into hBoot.
use the volume down rocker to select recovery
press the power button to select recovery

now since you will need to wipe the hand set. Select the wipe/factory restore option
flash the ROM
flash the g/apps
select reboot system now

#8 KoSoVaR

KoSoVaR
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:KoSoVaR
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    myTouch 4G
  • CM Version:
    CM7 RC2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

View Postneidlinger, on 28 June 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

If you don't know how to manually get into recovery should you of rooted in the first place?  :blink:

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but people try to learn and want something better all of the time.  People that install audio equipment in their car or build a fence maybe don't necessarily know how to do it.  **** like this lures people away.  Everyone wants to learn and I believe that's what life is all about.  So why must you troll?

Just because you know the process of rooting a phone doesn't make you part of some elite group.

#9 neidlinger

neidlinger
  • Members
  • 216 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC MyTouchHD
  • CM Version:
    CM7N61
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

View PostKoSoVaR, on 28 June 2011 - 03:14 PM, said:

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but people try to learn and want something better all of the time.  People that install audio equipment in their car or build a fence maybe don't necessarily know how to do it.  **** like this lures people away.  Everyone wants to learn and I believe that's what life is all about.  So why must you troll?

Just because you know the process of rooting a phone doesn't make you part of some elite group.

With having some ~200 post here, i might seem like a newb,but with over 200 "thanks" over at XDA. being a troll is far from it.

i just do not understand why people have to root your phone, if you do not even know the very basics. Like getting into the recovery image manually. It just doesn't make since to me at all. Does rooting put you in some new social status. Does it prove that you are technologically advanced? Not even that but what would happen if you didn't have access to the internet when your phone goes down? how would you repair it? All it takes is for someone to read, learn and study about what they are doing to over look something simple like "how do i boot my phone into recovery". That is the number 1 reason why i hate GUI apps like clockwork. People should be "forced" to learn it the real way, before trying to skip corners.

#10 synaesthetic

synaesthetic
  • Members
  • 249 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    CM10.2 nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

I've rooted dozens upon dozens of phones and half the time I forget how to get into recovery manually using the buttons on the phone. I just get too used to typing "adb reboot recovery" in a command shell and not having to worry about finicky buttons on finicky handsets...