Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Fix for sleep of death?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 somudrog

somudrog
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2X
  • CM Version:
    cm_p999_full-71
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

The main problem with my G2X is the sleep of death, which happens a lot. I get occasional reboots too, but not too often. I tried flashing EaglesBlood 1.05 and then CM7 nightly (7/6), which I'm on now, and I still get sleeps of death and reboots, with perhaps reduced frequency but still bad. Maybe it's the battery, though I don't have overheating/charging/battery drain issues, so I'm not sure what the problem is and if it's hardware or software. Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated - thanks!

#2 Elminster

Elminster
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    au - Australia
  • Device Model:
    LG Optimus 2X (P990)
  • CM Version:
    WGSpoelstra's Gingerbread Edition | v4.3.1 | Android 2.3.4 | Based on CM7 .43
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:18 AM

I have the same problem on my O2X. Sometimes it's simply dead and only removing the battery helps. I don't think it's battery related (at least in regards to hardware) as I'm seeing the problem with the 3 different batteries I got (stock + 2 different alternatives). I do not have any overheating issues and I'm generally charging the batteries externally and just replace them when they run out.

#3 snoopy89

snoopy89
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    LG OS 2x
  • CM Version:
    CM 7 RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

Hello,

i've experienced the same issue on my LGOS 2x with CW7 RC1.

Only removal of battery helps.

BR

#4 WebWeasel

WebWeasel
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Twitter:WebWeasel
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 d2tmo
  • CM Version:
    CM10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

I used to get constant reboots with my G2x but with Cyanogen RC1 I haven't had a single one.

#5 Elminster

Elminster
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    au - Australia
  • Device Model:
    LG Optimus 2X (P990)
  • CM Version:
    WGSpoelstra's Gingerbread Edition | v4.3.1 | Android 2.3.4 | Based on CM7 .43
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:29 AM

It's not about reboots. Haven't had a single one I can remember since using CM. It's about the phone not waking up from standby anymore, neither by pressing the power button or volumn buttons, nor performing partial wakes for RTC events, nor when plugging in the USB cable or for an incoming phone call.

Only thing you can do is to remove the battery for a moment and start the phone new.

The big problem with this is that you just don't know when it happens and you might have your phone in your pocket for hours, unresponsive, without ever knowing about it.

#6 epicsquare

epicsquare
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    lg p999
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:55 AM

I have the exact same problem. Hopefully it is fixed in 2.3, whenever that may be.

#7 fragerko

fragerko
  • Members
  • 33 posts
  • Twitter:fragerko
    at - Austria
  • Device Model:
    LG P990
  • CM Version:
    CM7 latest nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

View Postepicsquare, on 11 July 2011 - 12:55 AM, said:

I have the exact same problem. Hopefully it is fixed in 2.3, whenever that may be.

I have the same problem too on my phone. I am using CM7 nightly 41 up to now 74 but the phone still freezes sometimes. The point is "sometimes": i can't tell when and why it happens.

Edited by fragerko, 14 July 2011 - 09:32 AM.

#8 Arteymix

Arteymix
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    LG Optimus 2X
  • CM Version:
    Stock software (until stable Cyanogenmod releases)
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

You may try to update your baseband.. I'm posting that walkthrough all around in the forum btw... For me it worked so well : I mean my phone was not even booting and now, it is top shape!

My link is there : My link

Just do the second walkthrough as your phone dosen't need the full basebrand reinstall.

#9 fragerko

fragerko
  • Members
  • 33 posts
    at - Austria
  • Device Model:
    LG P990
  • CM Version:
    CM7 latest nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

View PostArteymix, on 15 July 2011 - 10:00 PM, said:

You may try to update your baseband.. I'm posting that walkthrough all around in the forum btw... For me it worked so well : I mean my phone was not even booting and now, it is top shape!

My link is there : My link

Just do the second walkthrough as your phone dosen't need the full basebrand reinstall.

Lets see. I installed Baseband 20110622, this weekend.

#10 fragerko

fragerko
  • Members
  • 33 posts
    at - Austria
  • Device Model:
    LG P990
  • CM Version:
    CM7 latest nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

Still the same problem, at least i know now baseband is not the reason. Anyone having other ideas?

Edited by fragerko, 17 July 2011 - 07:59 PM.

#11 Arteymix

Arteymix
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    LG Optimus 2X
  • CM Version:
    Stock software (until stable Cyanogenmod releases)
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

Are you sure? Reinstalling the baseband implies a full firmeare reinstall. I just really hope it's not an hardware issue.

#12 fragerko

fragerko
  • Members
  • 33 posts
    at - Austria
  • Device Model:
    LG P990
  • CM Version:
    CM7 latest nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:15 AM

Yes i am shure, the sleep of death happend once again but like i said before now i can exclude baseband as a reason.

#13 fragerko

fragerko
  • Members
  • 33 posts
    at - Austria
  • Device Model:
    LG P990
  • CM Version:
    CM7 latest nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:40 AM

I looked around in a number of forums and googled for "sleep of death" / "SOD" the last days:

- SOD appears on different phones, i.e. HD2, HTC desire, Samsung i7500, Samsung i500, HD2, LG p990 ...
- all phones seem to use CM
- it seems to me that SOD does not happen on a phone using a stock OS
- the first SOD report i found was dated Aug-2010

Therefore i suppose that:

- SOD is HW independent
- SOD is radio / baseband / driver independent
- SOD is a SW bug
- SOD was coded before Aug 2010
modified 2010-07-20
- SOD is not a Android OS bug
- SOD is a CM bug
- SOD is a Android or CM bug
end

I know that:

- SOD is not reproducable

Currently i try to find out which log facilities Android has.

Edited by fragerko, 20 July 2011 - 05:55 AM.

#14 SalvatoreO2X

SalvatoreO2X
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    P990
  • CM Version:
    CM Nightly #79
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

It has happened to me and a friend of mine with LG stock ROM(v2.2.3/V10b) more than once. We both have P990. I got it again the first day I flashed CM 7.1 RC. With CM Nightly #79(flashed at 16/7) I see no random reboots and no SOD, so far.

So not a CM exclusive bug.

#15 Jarocookies

Jarocookies
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Twitter:Jarocookies
    nl - Netherlands
  • Device Model:
    LG Optimus 2x
  • CM Version:
    p990 nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

Delete your battery logfiles (bin) You can find apps like battery calibrate (several apps)

(@Jarocookies)

#16 fragerko

fragerko
  • Members
  • 33 posts
    at - Austria
  • Device Model:
    LG P990
  • CM Version:
    CM7 latest nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:56 AM

View PostJarocookies, on 19 July 2011 - 06:33 PM, said:

Delete your battery logfiles (bin) You can find apps like battery calibrate (several apps)
(@Jarocookies)

I tried that already without success

#17 Bob Yang

Bob Yang
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Device Model:
    213-785-7234
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

View PostElminster, on 11 July 2011 - 12:29 AM, said:

It's not about reboots. Haven't had a single one I can remember since using CM. It's about the phone not waking up from standby anymore, neither by pressing the power button or volumn buttons, nor performing partial wakes for RTC events, nor when plugging in the USB cable or for an incoming phone call. Only thing you can do is to remove the battery for a moment and start the phone new. The big problem with this is that you just don't know when it happens and you might have your phone in your pocket for hours, unresponsive, without ever knowing about it.

I have the same problem every Monday (strange only Monday..) phone doens't wake up, so I don't wake up because the alarm doesn't work... it has been 4 weeks.. I have refresh, clean data, delete all data... nothing works... I don't trust alarm to wake me up with this phone!

any idea? thanks!

#18 hkhuhn

hkhuhn
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    g2x
  • CM Version:
    cwm
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:52 AM

I used to have this problem all the time...3...4...5 times a day. I am not an expert on any of this but I figured I would share my thoughts and my experience on this topic since I haven't seen any other solutions. My phone used to go into "sleep of death" (SOD) during phone calls. If i put the phone to my ear during a call, then the phone would sleep the screen as it is supposed to. If I pulled the phone away from my face during the call then the screen would wake. If the other person hung up first and then I pulled the screen away from my face to hang up or stow the phone then the screen would never unsleep. This was kinda funny because It became a race and I always raced to hang up first. See...I think that the screen lock disables input from the "keys" at the bottom of the screen to avoid input and some how it didn't get the signal to wake up again after the other person hung up first. So my early solution was to plug it into a charger and it would wake the screen but it would not work if my phone was already being charged during the call. The solution that has pretty much eliminated the problem for me is to make the power button hang up the phone call. It both hangs it up and wakes the screen so i can confirm that i hung up... I know that this is not perfect and probably wont work for every single person but I can imagine that attaching functions to other physical buttons might cause a wake but i haven't tried other solutions since my problem is fixed...It's just another tree for people to bark up. Anyhow I think that the problem is linked to the fact that all the keys are sleeping and so no input can be introduced to cause the phone to wake.

#19 zocso

zocso
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    LG Optimus 2x (P990)
  • CM Version:
    CyanogeMod-7.1.0-RC1-Optimus2x
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hello all,

I have the same symptoms with my Optimus 2x using the experimental mod.
I've started to investigate why it restarts/hangs randomly - especially during charge. Sometime through 2-3 days nothing happens but it can restart and crash 5-6 times a days if it has silly days.
Because it is a linux I want to collect the logs in the moment when the phone dies. We can do it in parallel because my handy doesn't want to die today. :-)

So I have adb installed on my PC, LG O2X is connected via USB.

I opened some cmd windows on my Windows XP with the following. Of course "d:\temp" directory is already created.

For collecting system log:
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb.exe logcat >> d:\temp\logcat20110912.out.txt

For collecting the memory and CPU info:
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb.exe shell vmstat >> d:\temp\vmstat20110912.out.txt

For tracking the running processes:
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell top >> d:\temp\top20110912.out.txt

Checking filesystems -added
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell "watch df -h" >> d:\temp\df20110912.out.txt

Any other ideas or results are welcome by me.

BR,
zocso

Edited by zocso, 12 September 2011 - 09:18 PM.

#20 TheoSqua

TheoSqua
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Device Model:
    |1|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

I have the same issue with my g2x and it's happened with both stock rom and cyanogen.

At first I thought it was because I was using a charger with a different voltage than the stock charger, but it does it with the stock charger as well. And it's always when charging, I never get it otherwise.

It's almost as if the phone overheats when charging. I've found putting the phone next to a fan tends to cause it to turn off less, but that may just be a coincidence since it's very random.

I've gone 5-10 days without it happening, and I've gone stretches of weeks where it turns off every single time I charge it (Note: It never happens when I charge it from a computer, only when it's a wall charger or adapter)

I tried calling T-Mobile about it and they said they're not aware of any issue involving that (whaa?), but I doubt it'd matter either way since I rooted my phone.

Edited by TheoSqua, 13 September 2011 - 06:53 PM.