Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Generic Nook Color Charger & cable

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kafka45

kafka45
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
    cm7.03
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

I've tried to find (and buy once) a generic wall charger & usb cable for my nook color.  I wanted/needed a longer cable and a travel charger.  I bought one that claimed would work, no luck.  While using the generic charger/cable in android mode, the battery icon "says" its charging with the lightning symbol, but it still was draining.  In Nook mode, the settings, the battery display said "Not Charging".  So, is there a generic charger/cable on the market that WILL do the job?  If so, will someone give me the URL of that store?  
thanks..

k

ps.. just found out the Nook Color cable has 2 depths, (5 pin  reg usb and 12 pin charging).. and is really PROPRIETARY in the way it charges the Nook.  How nice of them........

Edited by kafka45, 23 July 2011 - 05:28 PM.

#2 ssj3strife

ssj3strife
  • Donators
  • 196 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:32 AM

My nook charges over standard USB. it is a much slower charge, and if I'm using the nook then it can't draw enough current to charge the battery, but if i let it sit then the battery will fill up eventually.

#3 edm203

edm203
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM 7
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

I got this and it seems to charge faster than your standard usb cable.

http://goo.gl/5Yjfz

#4 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

View Postedm203, on 26 July 2011 - 04:41 PM, said:

I got this and it seems to charge faster than your standard usb cable.

http://goo.gl/5Yjfz

Given the popularity of the Nook Color, it was only a matter of time.....

#5 Talesin

Talesin
  • Members
  • 53 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

From those pictures, I'd be a bit concerned... appears to be a standard microUSB tip, rather than the proprietary quick-charge Nook Color tip. Which leads me to suspect either this won't fully charge an NC in 2-3 hours as claimed... or more worryingly, that it *will*, but using an overvolting method on the standard microUSB pins.. resulting in something similar to 'drink from the firehose', for those who have seen UHF.

#6 koopakid08

koopakid08
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    none yet
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:02 AM

The Nook cable and charger are specially designed to charge the nook I no of no other chargers/cables that will even come close to the speed of the nook charger.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

#7 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

View PostTalesin, on 26 July 2011 - 11:37 PM, said:

From those pictures, I'd be a bit concerned... appears to be a standard microUSB tip, rather than the proprietary quick-charge Nook Color tip. Which leads me to suspect either this won't fully charge an NC in 2-3 hours as claimed... or more worryingly, that it *will*, but using an overvolting method on the standard microUSB pins.. resulting in something similar to 'drink from the firehose', for those who have seen UHF.

I'm not sure how you can tell by the pictures. The OEM cable has a 2 level pin setup. I can't personally see that from the pics.....

#8 Talesin

Talesin
  • Members
  • 53 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:17 AM

Aspect ratio, if nothing else. That two-level connector setup also makes the proprietary connector about 3-5mm longer than a standard MicroUSB connector. Try plugging the Nook cable into another MicroUSB device, or just hold up another mUSB connector next to it, and you'll see what I mean. From the picture on that listing, there's no WAY it's long enough to engage the second set of pins for fast-charging. It also has the two 'teeth' on standard mUSB connectors (which the NC cable doesn't have/need thanks to the added length).

So either psychosomatia or overvolting. In either case... I still wouldn't touch this, myself, as it appears to just be a standard MicroUSB tethered-cable wall charger with a targetted description.

Edited by Talesin, 03 September 2011 - 02:18 AM.

#9 KF5

KF5
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Twitter:KFlannigan5
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO 4G, Huwaei Ascend
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

View Postssj3strife, on 24 July 2011 - 04:32 AM, said:

My nook charges over standard USB. it is a much slower charge, and if I'm using the nook then it can't draw enough current to charge the battery, but if i let it sit then the battery will fill up eventually.
yup mine too. If I use the cord and cable that came w it it charges fine. But if I use anything else it'll take like 16 hours to fully charge. I know that STAPLES sells the original Nook cable but I can imagine that a million other places do too.
What I'd LOVE to see is Amon-Ra ported....now that would be awesome. Just not a fan of CWM.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

#10 inportb

inportb
  • Members
  • 148 posts
  • Twitter:inportb
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Dream
  • CM Version:
    Ha! No longer using CM. Ginger Yoshi FTW.
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:20 AM

How about a power strip or similar device for extending the cable?

#11 Talesin

Talesin
  • Members
  • 53 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:20 AM

How about just getting a standard USB extender cable for the official Nook cable? The normal USB side is still four-pin.

Just tested it out to make sure. Works fine. Just get a standard USB travel charger that can supply the voltage/amperage the NC can eat (though technically the one that came WITH the NC is a travel charger), and a standard extender cable to plug into your official proprietary fast-charge cable. If it was me, I'd just buy another fast-charge cable and wall wart from B&N, and pick up a 10-foot USB A-to-A extender from Microcenter or Fry's. More length than you'll ever need; heck, a three-foot cable should be enough for most anyone, in addition to the length of the existing cable.

What *I'D* like to find is a flexible, 180 or 90-degree fast-charge connector, to make charging on a _stand_ useful/possible.