Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

[CM7] Discussion of Nightlies

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#21 wideopn11

wideopn11
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Twitter:wideopn11
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus (Toro)
  • CM Version:
    10.2-20130816-NIGHTLY-toro
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:12 AM

CM roms now available in ROM Manager.

#22 vlucchetti

vlucchetti
  • Members
  • 6 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Fascinate
  • CM Version:
    CM7 (nightly 112)
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

Anyone tried any different kernels on 6 yet?

ETA:  On 7 now with Glitch 11.1 HL.  Running fine.

Edited by vlucchetti, 03 August 2011 - 08:21 PM.

#23 TomTcom

TomTcom
  • Members
  • 86 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SCH-i500
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly 78
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:31 AM

Dumb question but when you download the nightly, do you have to rename it to "update.zip" or just leave the file name as is?

#24 Terry Bowling

Terry Bowling
  • Members
  • 33 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Droid
  • CM Version:
    2.3.5 - CyanogenMod 7.1 nightlies - Deprimed
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

Hello everyone,

What's the current status on Fascinate?  Is it stable enough for daily use?  Is there a list of known issues so I know what to expect not to work?

#25 Komet

Komet
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Fascinate
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:02 PM

View PostTomTcom, on 05 August 2011 - 08:31 AM, said:

Dumb question but when you download the nightly, do you have to rename it to "update.zip" or just leave the file name as is?

Leave it as is. Follow the install instructions here: http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_Update_Guide and you should have no problems (make sure you have ClockworkMod ver. 4 installed).

View PostTerry Bowling, on 05 August 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

Hello everyone,

What's the current status on Fascinate?  Is it stable enough for daily use?  Is there a list of known issues so I know what to expect not to work?

It is wonderfully stable. Even in it's incomplete state it is superior to the ROM Verizon supplied. Known issues are a moving target with nightlies. What is an issue one day may not be the next, conversly something may break one day that wasn't broken the previous day (although that typically isn't the case). There is a thread over at XDA that may shed some light on what is working and what isn't at the moment.

Edited by Komet, 05 August 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#26 TomTcom

TomTcom
  • Members
  • 86 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SCH-i500
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly 78
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

View PostKomet, on 05 August 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

Leave it as is. Follow the install instructions here: http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_Update_Guide and you should have no problems (make sure you have ClockworkMod ver. 4 installed).

It is wonderfully stable. Even in it's incomplete state it is superior to the ROM Verizon supplied. Known issues are a moving target with nightlies. What is an issue one day may not be the next, conversly something may break one day that wasn't broken the previous day (although that typically isn't the case). There is a thread over at XDA that may shed some light on what is working and what isn't at the moment.

Thanks Komet, will do.

View PostTerry Bowling, on 05 August 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

Hello everyone,

You can also use this link to see what is going to be included or updated in the next nightly build. While it doesn't exactly answer the questions the way you posted them it will let you know what is upcoming and if there might be a fix for something you were looking for specifically.

http://cm-nightlies....ce=fascinatemtd

#27 Eatthis

Eatthis
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Fascinate
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

Huzzah for Build 9! Signal bars are now fully functional. The only thing left that doesn't work for me that I await a fix is the LED flashlight, e.g. Tesla LED.

#28 AtrusNex

AtrusNex
  • Members
  • 24 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Motorola XT926
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.1 RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:34 PM

I just switched over to the nightlies. As a long time Droid owner it's nice to be on CyanogenMod again. I first went to JT1134 pre-nightly  AOSP build. There were some minor issues with sound and such on it but most everything worked great. Since I switched over to the nightly 8 with EC09 radio, I've gone from having the best GPS performance I've ever had on this phone to not even being able to get a fix. It's the old problem of the GPS intermittently completely losing signal. Anyone else having this problem?

Also do the current CyanogenMod ROM's re-flash the radio and kernel? Noob question I know, but I've been out of the root community for about a year with the Fascinate.

Edited by AtrusNex, 05 August 2011 - 08:35 PM.

#29 Eatthis

Eatthis
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Fascinate
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

The kernel is left untouched. I am guessing the radio is the same by extension. You say you're using the EC09 radio, is that something you installed yourself, or is it the stock? I am using build 9 right now with stock kernel and didn't even know the radio was something outside of ROM. I haven't had any issues with my GPS as of late, though rampant issues have indeed existed in the past (as I am sure all Fascinate users can attest to..). Have you tried the GPS Status app? It was a godsend when it came to locking my location.

Edited by Eatthis, 05 August 2011 - 09:04 PM.

#30 jackgagliano

jackgagliano

I'd go through hell for you...

• Donators
  • 23 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S4-Verizon
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.2 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

Hey guys, I use CM7 on my droid x and i love it!  i'm trying to get my other phones, samsung fascinates to CM7 as well, but running into some difficulty.  I followed the instructions on the upgrade guide, but can't seem to get Clockworkmod recovery installed.  i flashed via USB cable the recovery.bin file as instructed, rebooted the phone, went into ROM manager.  when i go to select the phone model to flash clockwork recovery, there is no option listed for Samsung Fascinate (MTD).  There is a Galaxy S Fascinate listed.  I've tried that one, but no success... it just reboots into regular android recovery mode and says that the file isn't verified.

Thanks a bunch!

#31 Eatthis

Eatthis
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Fascinate
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:38 PM

If it's the initial flash onto CM7 I would recommend just doing it from Recovery. ROM Manager as far as I know still does not recognize V4 of CWM and thus says you need to install one. If you tell it that one was installed manually, then select v3 when it asks which version everything will work.

#32 jackgagliano

jackgagliano

• Donators
  • 23 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S4-Verizon
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.2 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:01 AM

the problem is that even if i choose manual recovery, it says that update.zip fails signature verification.  is there somewhere that i can obtain a correct update.zip file?  i noticed that the installation instrcutions say to place the update.zip file onto the sd card... i'm ok with that, but where do i get the initial update.zip file?

#33 TomTcom

TomTcom
  • Members
  • 86 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SCH-i500
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly 78
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:59 AM

View Postjackgagliano, on 06 August 2011 - 12:01 AM, said:

the problem is that even if i choose manual recovery, it says that update.zip fails signature verification.  is there somewhere that i can obtain a correct update.zip file?  i noticed that the installation instrcutions say to place the update.zip file onto the sd card... i'm ok with that, but where do i get the initial update.zip file?

jackgagliano, this issue would have to imply that your recovery.bin is somehow not recognized or being used. You need to ensure that your recovery manager is teal in color and says something like 4.0.1.0 (I think).

The cyanogen mods don't have a signature and the stock fascinate system from what I know is looking for one, that is why we got a custom recovery.bin for this particular issue.

Does that help?

Edited by TomTcom, 06 August 2011 - 01:10 AM.

#34 jackgagliano

jackgagliano

• Donators
  • 23 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S4-Verizon
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.2 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:12 AM

so investigating further, i noticed that if i boot to recovery, it is the default stock samsung blue, and also says android recovery 3e... that leads me to another problem that i'm researching now, but any help would be appreciated.

#35 TomTcom

TomTcom
  • Members
  • 86 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SCH-i500
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly 78
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:42 AM

View Postjackgagliano, on 06 August 2011 - 02:12 AM, said:

so investigating further, i noticed that if i boot to recovery, it is the default stock samsung blue, and also says android recovery 3e... that leads me to another problem that i'm researching now, but any help would be appreciated.

Ok, so we identified that recovery.bin did not take when you did it before. Can you verify that using the zadig.exe file from the install guide that you were able to correctly install "Samsung USB Composite" for the driver?

If so, you should then launch the downloaded Heimdall front end, go to recovery section, and upload the file. Obviously have the phone in download mode before opening the Heimdall.

You should see a blue transfer bar on the phone indicating the file took. My understanding is that it will reboot itself. Then disconnect USB and let the phone boot.

If you already have the ROM manager from the market use it to go into recovery mode or use adb reboot recovery. See if you get the teal colored recovery screen.

#36 jackgagliano

jackgagliano

• Donators
  • 23 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S4-Verizon
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.2 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:14 AM

Hi TomTcom,  I have done all of the above.  I installed the driver on Win7 64 and also tried it on an XP machine to see if that was the problem.. on both cases (on two seperate phones btw) I watched the blue line go across.  i will try adb reboot and see if that works.  thanks for the help :)

edit:  tried another recovery app, but same thing... i know it has to do with the 3e vs 2e.  i ran across another post that had some files in it for converting the stock recovery back to 2e to get cwm to install correctly.

Edited by jackgagliano, 06 August 2011 - 03:32 AM.

#37 TomTcom

TomTcom
  • Members
  • 86 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SCH-i500
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly 78
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:31 AM

View Postjackgagliano, on 06 August 2011 - 03:14 AM, said:

Hi TomTcom,  I have done all of the above.  I installed the driver on Win7 64 and also tried it on an XP machine to see if that was the problem.. on both cases (on two seperate phones btw) I watched the blue line go across.  i will try adb reboot and see if that works.  thanks for the help :)

So after the blue line went across, the phone is supposed to automatically reboot itself. Did it do that? Do you currently have root access?

#38 jackgagliano

jackgagliano

• Donators
  • 23 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S4-Verizon
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.2 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:34 AM

View PostTomTcom, on 06 August 2011 - 03:31 AM, said:

So after the blue line went across, the phone is supposed to automatically reboot itself. Did it do that? Do you currently have root access?

yup, it rebooted just fine, and yes root on both phones.. like i said, i could understand one of them, but not both... which leads me to think its this 3e recovery.  both phones doing the same thing.

#39 TomTcom

TomTcom
  • Members
  • 86 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SCH-i500
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly 78
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:37 AM

View Postjackgagliano, on 06 August 2011 - 03:34 AM, said:

yup, it rebooted just fine, and yes root on both phones.. like i said, i could understand one of them, but not both... which leads me to think its this 3e recovery.  both phones doing the same thing.

Hmm..I'm at a loss as to what else to say. Here's my last ditch method that I can think of. How did you untar cwm4-bml-i500.tar? I used 7-zp to extract recovery.bin.

#40 jackgagliano

jackgagliano

• Donators
  • 23 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S4-Verizon
  • CM Version:
    CM 10.2 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:41 AM

i used winrar and just extracted it.  i'm going to try doing everything from my linux box tomorrow and see if that works... who knows, maybe its windows.  i'll check in tomorrow and let you know whats up, thanks for the support!