Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 doushka

doushka
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S i9000
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen v7 RC1 260611
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to Android and to this forum and have the Galaxy S running Gingerbread 2.3.3 build XXJVO and think it is a great phone.

I am now trying to install ' update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed ' and am following the instructions in the new Android magazine.
I have rooted the phone using Odin and have got the superuser access all seems well.
I am now trying to install the above update.
Having followed the mag instructions I have installed the ' Flash Clockwork MOD recovery '.
I then go to ' Backup Current ROM ', backup name appears.
The next step fails with:

Finding update package....
Opening update package....
Verify update package......
E: failed to verify whole-life signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation failed

I have the new ROM stored on my external SD card which is 8gb.

After connecting the phone the external card is K: and the internal card is N: but the 'Verify update package' needs to be in E: .....mmmm.

I think maybe I could be doing something wrong here - maybe the update should be on the internal card - I'm not sure.

Can any one help me do this Install of CyanogenMOD 7 please.

#2 Kaik541

Kaik541

The Arsehole Samsung Moderator

• Moderators
  • 598 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

You must be on Froyo, no Gingerbread before you flash.
Please follow the instructions on the wiki for rooting *and* installing ClockworkMod Recovery (http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_Update_Guide)
Put the ROM on your *internal* SD card, not your external.

Edited by Kaik541, 31 July 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#3 doushka

doushka
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    uk - United Kingdom
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S i9000
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen v7 RC1 260611
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:31 AM

Hi Kaik541, thanks for the reply, could you confirm that I can't install Cyanogen 7 on an Android Galaxy GT i9000 running Gingerbread 2.3.3 XXJVO.
I ask cos all I have been reading suggests I can - have I misread?.

#4 Kaik541

Kaik541

• Moderators
  • 598 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

you must install from a 2.2 based ROM such as JPY or JPM

#5 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S Fascinate
  • CM Version:
    No Idea
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

I'm getting the same problem with the latest update:

Installation failed

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate 3G+ (Telus Canada) running Froyo stock.
I followed these instructions and got the phone rooted but when I get to this part with installing Cyanomod these instructions fall apart:

Method via Recovery
  • Download the latest version of CyanogenMod. Optional: Download the Google Apps for the device.
  • Place the CyanogenMod update.zip file on the root of the SD card. Optional: Place the Google Apps .zip on the root of the SD card also.
  • Boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.
  • Once the device boots into the ClockworkMod Recovery, use the side volume buttons to move around, and either the power button or the trackball to select. Optional: Select backup and restore to create a backup of current installation on the Samsung Galaxy S.
  • Select the option to Wipe data/factory reset.
  • Then select the option to Wipe cache partition.
  • Select Install zip from sdcard.
  • Select Choose zip from sdcard.
  • Select the CyanogenMod update.zip. Optional: Install the Google Apps by performing steps 7 - 9 again and choosing the Google Apps update.zip.
  • Once the installation has finished, select +++++Go Back+++++ to get back to the main menu, and select the Reboot system now option. The Samsung Galaxy S should now boot into CyanogenMod.
Specifically steps 7 and 8. those options simply do not exist in Recovery mode with either the free or paid version of Rom Manager. There is only 1 option to install a new firmware and that option is to use a file called update.zip.
I renamed the downloaded update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed.zip to update.zip and placed it on the phones internal memory but I still get the above error.

#6 Kaik541

Kaik541

• Moderators
  • 598 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:01 AM

View PostAluminumHaste, on 05 August 2011 - 05:08 PM, said:

I'm getting the same problem with the latest update:

Installation failed

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate 3G+ (Telus Canada) running Froyo stock.
I followed these instructions and got the phone rooted but when I get to this part with installing Cyanomod these instructions fall apart:

Method via Recovery
  • Download the latest version of CyanogenMod. Optional: Download the Google Apps for the device.
  • Place the CyanogenMod update.zip file on the root of the SD card. Optional: Place the Google Apps .zip on the root of the SD card also.
  • Boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.
  • Once the device boots into the ClockworkMod Recovery, use the side volume buttons to move around, and either the power button or the trackball to select. Optional: Select backup and restore to create a backup of current installation on the Samsung Galaxy S.
  • Select Install zip from sdcard.
  • Select Choose zip from sdcard.
  • Select the CyanogenMod update.zip. Optional: Install the Google Apps by performing steps 7 - 9 again and choosing the Google Apps update.zip.
  • Once the installation has finished, select +++++Go Back+++++ to get back to the main menu, and select the Reboot system now option. The Samsung Galaxy S should now boot into CyanogenMod.

Specifically steps 7 and 8. those options simply do not exist in Recovery mode with either the free or paid version of Rom Manager. There is only 1 option to install a new firmware and that option is to use a file called update.zip.
I renamed the downloaded update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed.zip to update.zip and placed it on the phones internal memory but I still get the above error.

For one, the Fascinate 3G+ is not a supported device. Secondly, those instructions are for RECOVERY not ROM Manager. Both of those options are from ClockworkMod Recovery (which is not ROM Manager) which must be gotten from a kernel with CWM integrated. Three, please do not attempt to install the wrong ROM for your phone (the Fascinate 3G+ and Galaxy S are *not* the same device and there are bound to be at least a few issues, if not potentially brick your device).

#7 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S Fascinate
  • CM Version:
    No Idea
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

I followed the instructions here:

Installing ClockworkMod Recovery

If the Samsung Fascinate already has a custom Recovery Image installed, you may skip this section.
  • Search for ROM Manager in the Market (free or paid) and install the app.
  • Open the ROM Manager application and select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
  • Click on Samsung Fascinate and then give the app root permission if it prompts you.
  • If it hangs after that and freezes up, just allow the app to Force Close. Then open it back up and repeat steps 2 & 3.
  • Once the flash was successful, you should see a dialog box that says "Successfully flashed ClockworkMod recovery!".
  • Press OK.
  • The ClockworkMod Recovery should now be installed on the Samsung Fascinate.
I flashed the recovery rom as per the instructions and it worked showing "Successfully flashed ClockworkMod recovery!". But when I select

Boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.

it reboots the phone into a prompt window just like the guide says where you have to use the volume up/down buttons to navigate the options and press the power button to make a selection. Now these two options are available:
So I did both of those but this option:

Install zip from sdcard.

Is not available. So I'm confused.

Also the heading in that article states this:

Flashing CyanogenMod

At this point the Samsung Fascinate is rooted & has a custom Recovery Image. Please follow the Flashing CyanogenMod guide to continue.

So if the Fascinate is not a supported device, why are there instructions on this website pertaining to claim that it is? :unsure:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#8 got_milk?

got_milk?
  • Donators
  • 38 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    SGS GT-I9000M
  • CM Version:
    Latest CyanogenMod Nightly (galaxysmtd)
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

The Telus Fascinate 3G+ is nowhere near similar to the American Fascinates which fascinatemtd is built for.

Its closest cousin is the T-Mobile Vibrant (vibrantmtd) (the differences mostly lie in software, with the exception of a front facing camera). However, I have no clue if vibrantmtd would load on that device, I would look for others with the same device and see if they've been able to load CM successfully.

#9 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S Fascinate
  • CM Version:
    No Idea
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:44 AM

I just realized I'm posting in the i9000 forum, my bad I see why everyone is confused about why I'm here. I'll go post in the correct forums.

#10 Kaik541

Kaik541

• Moderators
  • 598 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Captivate
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:01 AM

there is no correct forum for you, as, again... your device (fascinate 3G+) is *not* a supported device. There is no ROM for your phone.

#11 character41141

character41141
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Device Model:
    GT-I9000
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

Just in case an actual GT-I9000 user faces the same signature verification failed problem, here's what I did after Kies bricked my phone while updating to 2.3.3. I was already running gingerbread before it got bricked. Then I flashed the latest thing from samfirmware but wanted to try cyanogenmod so did my research. Despite all my tries, I always ended up with a signature verification error. Then I used this procedure.

1. Flash ZSJPK via odin.
2. Rooted via super-one click
2A. Flashed a file called CF- Root JPK-v1.1.tar (I don't remember which website asked me to do this)
3. Downloaded cyanogenmod RC 7.1.0 for galaxy S
4. Installed ROM Manager on my phone.
5. Flashed CWM recovery
6. Followed procedure contained in the wiki page to the last detail.

Bear in mind that it took me about 7 days to get this right. I read on a website that the signature verification error was due to the 3e recovery thing and the signature related error would not happen in a 2e recovery. After I flashed the CF-Root file, the recovery came to 2e by itself and I was able to install cyanogenmod.

Thank god for cyanogenmod...

#12 brent_upton

brent_upton
  • Donators
  • 100 posts
  • Twitter:brent_upton
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Samsung GT-I9000M
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly GalaxyS
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:17 AM

View PostAluminumHaste, on 08 August 2011 - 12:44 AM, said:

I just realized I'm posting in the i9000 forum, my bad I see why everyone is confused about why I'm here. I'll go post in the correct forums.
No, don't!

The Telus Fascinate has nearly identical guts to the I9000M with the exception of the front facing camera and the softkeys.

You most certainly can use the GalaxySMTD build for the Telus Fascinate, but it's a bit tricky. Glitch has a kernel and install instructions here:
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1115090

I've done this to a friend's Telus Fascinate and it works awesome. The only thing is don't switch the camera to the front or else it'll FC and you'll have to clear data on the camera app to get it to run again.

Other than that, we haven't noticed any major bugs at all that exist on his device that my I9000M doesn't have as well.

Give it a whirl, but to be safe make sure you have a download jig to get you back into download mode just in case. ;-)

#13 bk201

bk201
  • Members
  • 72 posts
    pt - Portugal
  • Device Model:
    GT-I9000
  • CM Version:
    CM7 KANG
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:09 AM

View Postcharacter41141, on 26 August 2011 - 01:27 PM, said:

Just in case an actual GT-I9000 user faces the same signature verification failed problem, here's what I did after Kies bricked my phone while updating to 2.3.3. I was already running gingerbread before it got bricked. Then I flashed the latest thing from samfirmware but wanted to try cyanogenmod so did my research. Despite all my tries, I always ended up with a signature verification error. Then I used this procedure.

1. Flash ZSJPK via odin.
2. Rooted via super-one click
2A. Flashed a file called CF- Root JPK-v1.1.tar (I don't remember which website asked me to do this)
3. Downloaded cyanogenmod RC 7.1.0 for galaxy S
4. Installed ROM Manager on my phone.
5. Flashed CWM recovery
6. Followed procedure contained in the wiki page to the last detail.

Bear in mind that it took me about 7 days to get this right. I read on a website that the signature verification error was due to the 3e recovery thing and the signature related error would not happen in a 2e recovery. After I flashed the CF-Root file, the recovery came to 2e by itself and I was able to install cyanogenmod.

Thank god for cyanogenmod...

you only needed steps 1, 2A (after flashing CF-Root-JPK, in recovery you have an option that roots the phone directly, and you only need it if you're flashing from ROM Manager afterwards) and 3. you don't need super-one click, what you need is CF-Root or any other kernel for i9000 with cwm (all of them do i guess?).
4 would be copy update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed.zip to device /sdcard/update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed.zip, go in recovery again, Install Zip from Sdcard, choose zip from sdcard (ofc, update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed.zip), 'yes i really want to install zip, flash away, don't bug me again".
5 reboot system.

Edited by bk201, 02 September 2011 - 02:13 AM.