Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Windows 7 64-bit, Samsung Drivers, and Clockworkmod Recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TomTcom

TomTcom
  • Members
  • 86 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SCH-i500
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly 78
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:36 AM

I'm writing this post for noobs, including myself, because I have seen a lot of posts regarding Samsung and 64-bit drivers for the Fascinate. I am currently modded with a Froyo build from one I found in the XDA forums, can't remember which, so I have experience but by no means an expert.

I read the Fascinate Wiki on this site that listed all the instructions to get the recovery.bin file loaded for Windows and found I could not load the "Samsung USB Composite" device driver as listed in the instructions which prevented me from loading the recovery.bin file using the Heimdall frontend.

You can install the standard drivers listed on Samsung's site which I believe are 32-bit if you haven't done so already so I'm not sure if they are included in the zadig.exe or not because I already had them loaded for tethering prior.

I have a Windows 7 64-bit laptop so this is the method I used and worked like a champ.

**Follow all the directions just before the Wiki tells you to open the zadig.exe, get into the download mode.

1. Right click on zadig.exe
2. Select Troubleshoot compatibility
3. Select Troubleshoot program
4. Put a check in "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now", click next
5. Select Windows XP (Service Pack 3) I'm sure other 32-bit options would work but you should understand by now what we are doing here.
6. Click next and select "Start the program"
7. Select the driver as stated in the instructions and install as stated in the instructions
8. At this point you should be able to open the Heimdall frontend, select the recovery.bin, upload it to the phone and that's it.

As a side note, once this is done, the easiest thing to do is install the ROM manager fromt the market which works great. It has a convenient way to enter the Recovery mode and make your image backup before loading any nightlies and what not.

Hope this helps some people out there.

-Tom

#2 boozenchicks

boozenchicks
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Fascinate
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

Tom,

Is there anyway you can help me install the nightly mod.  I am getting nowhere fast. clockwork won't even make a backup image of my phone let alone load and image.  phone has been rooted and restore to factory so many times using odin.

#3 chopperwalker

chopperwalker
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Fascinate
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

I updated my fascinate following the wiki last night, went perfect. My brother has the same phone and win 7 64 bit. We can get up to the Heimdall Frontend step when it fails. (failing to load recovery.bin) We tried the steps fom Toms post, but it still fails saying it cant find a compatible device. We pulled the drivers and downloaded the samsung 64 bit drivers (zadig first showed Gadget Serial, after driver update Samsung USB Composite Device). Still fails.

Any clues?

Edited by chopperwalker, 12 October 2011 - 01:02 AM.

#4 TomTcom

TomTcom
  • Members
  • 86 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SCH-i500
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly 78
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:07 AM

Ironically chopperwalker, I'm trying to upgrade my modem from EB01 to the EC09 that works well with CM7, from the postings I've seen, and now Odin won't recongize my phone. Lol, it's my own post and now I can't get it to work. I'll double check what I'm doing and see if I can't get anywhere with it.

#5 TomTcom

TomTcom
  • Members
  • 86 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SCH-i500
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightly 78
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:38 PM

View Postchopperwalker, on 12 October 2011 - 12:26 AM, said:

I updated my fascinate following the wiki last night, went perfect. My brother has the same phone and win 7 64 bit. We can get up to the Heimdall Frontend step when it fails. (failing to load recovery.bin) We tried the steps fom Toms post, but it still fails saying it cant find a compatible device. We pulled the drivers and downloaded the samsung 64 bit drivers (zadig first showed Gadget Serial, after driver update Samsung USB Composite Device). Still fails.

Any clues?

Ok, so I went back to Samsung's site and I saw a new version of the Verizon SCH-I500 drivers dated for September 27, 2011. Make sure you have this version. Below is the link.

http://www.samsung.c.../SCH-I500RKZVZW

1. Without my phone connected, I installed the driver file and then plugged the phone in and let it set itself up.
2. Opened Odin using the steps from my original post for WinXP SP3.
3. Went into download mode on the phone and Odin recognized it right away.

Now, I know you said Heimdall but try your steps again, double check the drivers, you may even want to uninstall any versions of drivers not dated for September 27, 2011. For me and others, Odin worked like a champ at this point to get EC09 modem on it now. Haven't played much but I know it works at least.

Final point to consider, is does the phone you want to connect have the "USB Debugging" option enabled? Let me know if I can help with anything else.