Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

some android apps "not compatable"?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 darthbrian

darthbrian
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:21 AM

im setting up my wifes nook color for her birthday and for some reason the market is not letting me download "words with friends".  is this not compatable or is there a trick to getting it installed?

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

#2 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Please search the posts a little. There are a dozen in here about missing apps and not being able to download apps.

#3 coolt77

coolt77
  • Donators
  • 60 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:52 PM

I had Words with friends downloaded and working great on the Nook but a forced update came today and now I get a message that the Nook is not a compatible device. :angry:

#4 inportb

inportb
  • Members
  • 148 posts
  • Twitter:inportb
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Dream
  • CM Version:
    Ha! No longer using CM. Ginger Yoshi FTW.
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

View Postcoolt77, on 22 August 2011 - 11:52 PM, said:

I had Words with friends downloaded and working great on the Nook but a forced update came today and now I get a message that the Nook is not a compatible device. :angry:

Oh, that is unfortunate. I hope you get that fixed.

#5 coolt77

coolt77
  • Donators
  • 60 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

Loaded WWF on my Droid ok .... guess they don't want to support the cheap Nooks any more.

#6 inportb

inportb
  • Members
  • 148 posts
  • Twitter:inportb
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Dream
  • CM Version:
    Ha! No longer using CM. Ginger Yoshi FTW.
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

View Postcoolt77, on 23 August 2011 - 12:06 AM, said:

Loaded WWF on my Droid ok .... guess they don't want to support the cheap Nooks any more.

What a bummer. Better luck next time!

Speaking of luck, I guess I'm pretty lucky or just have a more expensive Nook... if you know what I mean.

Edited by inportb, 23 August 2011 - 09:17 PM.

#7 hellomcfly

hellomcfly
  • Donators
  • 130 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy Nexus CDMA
  • CM Version:
    CM10.1 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:12 PM

what about market access? i know on my droid it allowed me to install incompatible apps.

#8 Midhir

Midhir
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Motorola Cliq XT
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7 -Zeppelin Nightly #75-
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:38 AM

The Amazon app store seems to have no problems allowing 'incompatible' apps to download, but the only solution I can find for the Google app store problem is to download the apk from elsewhere.  Are we sure the problem isn't one of the build strings from CM7?  Many of these apps worked on the rooted nook but after installing CM they're suddenly incompatible?

#9 Talesin

Talesin
  • Members
  • 53 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:35 AM

I think this may be the screen density issue again; with the old Market, NCs would have issues seeing everything/having missing apps if they used their default density of 160, so Cyan modded that to 161 as a workaround. The new Market doesn't seem to have the 160/161 issue, but a lot of apps specify the screen densities supported /specifically/, rather than just 'over X' or 'under X'.

Modify the density line in the build.props from 161 to 160, save, reboot, go into settings->application->Market and clear data. Then start the market, hit Accept, and should be good to go.

I think a few apps do have issues rendering at SD 160 on the NC, but I haven't found any of them yet. As opposed to a large number of apps previously 'not supported' now showing as working fine. REALLY would like it if the Market had a 'reason why not supported' option, even hidden away somewhere behind a menu, just to ease the debugging of these kinds of issues; if it's because of something changeable and dumb like screen density, or something like requiring a GPS or camera, which would be more reasonable.

#10 Yoinx

Yoinx
  • Members
  • 6 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM7 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

The screen density fix supposedly only fixes it for a few days. Then you start having issues again.

What I did to get around this was pretty simple. Rename the marketupdater.apk in /system/app/ (if I remember correctly) to marketupdater.apk.bak then uninstall the market updates. You won't get any market update pushes... and you have to manually go into market/myapps to check for app updates... but hey, at least there's no device checking.

As far as why they're doing this... I think it has more to do with the number of devices that android is running on now there's bound to be compatibility issues for some apps. This just makes it so that developers can lock an app to certain devices, which the stock NC probably can't run most of the apps that are locked out since B&N control what it can and cannot do. Unfortunately, I doubt that the android market is going to provide compatibility choices for custom mods... Though it would be nice if they let you opt-out of the compatibility check.

#11 Talesin

Talesin
  • Members
  • 53 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC G2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

Uh, fixed mine a few weeks ago.
Yes, it reverted once, but all it took to get it going again was to clear the data and re-start Market (no reboot needed as my build.props hadn't changed) to get everything back.

#12 coolt77

coolt77
  • Donators
  • 60 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

View Postinportb, on 23 August 2011 - 09:16 PM, said:

What a bummer. Better luck next time!

Speaking of luck, I guess I'm pretty lucky or just have a more expensive Nook... if you know what I mean.

Perhaps you paid more...too bad. ;)

#13 coolt77

coolt77
  • Donators
  • 60 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

View PostTalesin, on 04 September 2011 - 09:35 AM, said:

I think this may be the screen density issue again; with the old Market, NCs would have issues seeing everything/having missing apps if they used their default density of 160, so Cyan modded that to 161 as a workaround. The new Market doesn't seem to have the 160/161 issue, but a lot of apps specify the screen densities supported /specifically/, rather than just 'over X' or 'under X'.

Modify the density line in the build.props from 161 to 160, save, reboot, go into settings->application->Market and clear data. Then start the market, hit Accept, and should be good to go.

I think a few apps do have issues rendering at SD 160 on the NC, but I haven't found any of them yet. As opposed to a large number of apps previously 'not supported' now showing as working fine. REALLY would like it if the Market had a 'reason why not supported' option, even hidden away somewhere behind a menu, just to ease the debugging of these kinds of issues; if it's because of something changeable and dumb like screen density, or something like requiring a GPS or camera, which would be more reasonable.

Agree wholeheartedly!

#14 BPB

BPB
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Droid
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0 RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

Just antecdotally, I'm running CM7.1 RC1 on my Droid classic and the CM7 nightly 177 build on my NookColor.  When I want something the market says in incompatible with my NookColor (http://market.android.com/ that is, since you can see all the apps, not just ones screened for your device) I install it on my Droid, then use the app "Bluetooth File Transfer" and the option "Send application".  Works like a charm sending the apk automatically to the NookColor.  I then uninstall from the Droid and install the apk I've sent to the NookColor (CM7 nightly build).

Works like a charm, every time, and I've never had to fool with the screen rendering issues or anything like that.

Just a tip - hope it helps someone out.