Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Won't be able to boot into CWM recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DL4OCE

DL4OCE
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    GT-i9000
  • CM Version:
    stock
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hi,

got my GT-i9000 recently. Tried to use it with Kies - what piece of **** is this software? Recognizes my phone every 4th time (in case I am lucky), tells me that there is a newer firmware to flash, and when I say OK it downloads for a while and finally tells me that it cannot flash the phone as it cannot be recognized.

Ok, I already know CM7 from my HTC hero and love it, so why not flash it? I gained root access by uploading a CF-Kernel via Odin. So far, so easy. Got root? Yap.

Then I downloaded update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed.zip and the additional GApps.zip, also CWM.

Reboot into recovery, full wipe, flash CM7 and GApps. Phone reboots... Into an unconfigured ROM that looked pretty familiar to me as it was the stock one. Uh?

Even worse: I could not get into the Market as all GApps were gone.

So I used adb to install CWM, again and restored my full backup. Phew!

What would have happened if I was stuck in a boot loop? Well, I could have entered CWM's recovery mode. Just press a few buttons and restart...nope, doesn't work.

Who can help me get into CWM's recovery mode? I won't flash my brick until I know a way to do this...

#2 >stylz

>stylz
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung SPICA
  • CM Version:
    6.1.1 alpha8.1
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

Adb reboot recovery

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Or. Flash ezrom 2.2.1 first

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

#3 DL4OCE

DL4OCE
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    GT-i9000
  • CM Version:
    stock
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:50 AM

This presumes android has booted correctly, right? So there would be no way back in case the flashed ROM does not work the way I want it to. Or am I missing something?

#4 bk201

bk201
  • Members
  • 72 posts
    pt - Portugal
  • Device Model:
    GT-I9000
  • CM Version:
    CM7 KANG
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

View PostDL4OCE, on 22 August 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

Hi,

got my GT-i9000 recently. Tried to use it with Kies - what piece of **** is this software? Recognizes my phone every 4th time (in case I am lucky), tells me that there is a newer firmware to flash, and when I say OK it downloads for a while and finally tells me that it cannot flash the phone as it cannot be recognized.

Ok, I already know CM7 from my HTC hero and love it, so why not flash it? I gained root access by uploading a CF-Kernel via Odin. So far, so easy. Got root? Yap.

Then I downloaded update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed.zip and the additional GApps.zip, also CWM.

Reboot into recovery, full wipe, flash CM7 and GApps. Phone reboots... Into an unconfigured ROM that looked pretty familiar to me as it was the stock one. Uh?

Even worse: I could not get into the Market as all GApps were gone.

So I used adb to install CWM, again and restored my full backup. Phew!

What would have happened if I was stuck in a boot loop? Well, I could have entered CWM's recovery mode. Just press a few buttons and restart...nope, doesn't work.

Who can help me get into CWM's recovery mode? I won't flash my brick until I know a way to do this...

when you flashed cf-root through odin, you have cwm working. VOL UP+POWER+HOME until you see "SAMSUNG GALAXY S" screen, then release. go to advanced, mount usb, copy necessary files to internal sdcard.

install zip from sdcard  > choose zip from sdcard >  update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed.zip
install zip from sdcard  > choose zip from sdcard >  gapps

reboot recovery.
fix permissions.
reboot system.

done.

edit: which rom are you coming from? stock froyo or gingerbread? if you want to stick with RC1 (older/stabler, supposedly), you need to flash from froyo rom; if you will become a nightlies user, flash cm7 from gingerbread.

Edited by bk201, 07 September 2011 - 03:02 PM.