Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

N1 or Samsung Galaxy S

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 XiNull

XiNull
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    ||
  • CM Version:
    N/A
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

Hey,

I was just in the process of getting a new phone, really i thought i was getting the iPhone 4!  Not anymore, changed my mind, so i'm going with an Android instead :)  I live in Canada, so the choice of Android phone is pretty limited, we're like a year behind the US in Android phone tech.  The best (I think) we have out right now is the X10 and the Milestone.  The Samsung Galaxy S is supposed to come out soon...and the HTC desire also (but no dates yet).  Basically my choice was to get the Droid X, mainly because it's got a better processor and larger screen size.  But i dont see that phone coming to Canada anytime soon :(

So my choices are for the Samsung Galaxy S (found no release date yet) or the Nexus One.  Although i'd love to get a better screen (Samsung), but the N1 seems easier to handle.  I'm a developer, so i might want to start developing apps and have fun loading mods and ****.  I think the N1 would be a better fit.  I have a few questions though about how modding works and about these 2 phones, maybe some of you can give their opinions

1. Is it really that easy to mod the N1 compared to some of these locked phones that people have found ways to get root access?  I mean is it really worth getting an N1 just for that?

2. Can you brick an N1, or any other phone that can get root access to be modded?

3. Does the N1 have better chance of not getting bricked then other android phones...and why?

4. The dev language for the Android and it's apps, it's Java correct?

5. Am I correct in assuming that not all phones will be able to get root access or are you people confident that most phone has a way and will eventually be found?  So by going with the Samsung Galaxy, i'm basically gambling that someone finds a way to get root access one day.

6. How's the support from the community to help someone when modding's gone wrong!  lol...although i might want to develop some apps, it's still going to be my primary phone.  So i need it to be reliable.

7. What would you recommend!

cheers

PS: I feel like way back when the first X-Box came out and people found a way to mod them....I'm getting all excited :)

#2 XiNull

XiNull
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    ||
  • CM Version:
    N/A
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

ok, no answers....

Let me ask this then.  What makes the Nexus One (Google's dev phone) better or more advantageous than other phones.  The one advantage i know of, is that's it's not locked, so i can go to any carrier i want...but about the rest, I dont have enough knowledge in the android modding world to know why the N1 would be better than another phone

any insights please?

Thanks

#3 Mr_Tricorder

Mr_Tricorder

Really Impressive Title

• Donators
  • 753 posts
  • Twitter:Mr_Tricorder
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Epic 4G Touch
  • CM Version:
    Leaked EL13 + Root
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

In my opinion, the Galaxy S is hands-down the better phone.  It's also very easy to root with very little risk to the phone.  However, there isn't very much in the way of custom roms yet, but there are several people working on creating some.  The only real advantages that the N1 has is that it's already running Froyo, its modding community has had more time to develop, and it's unlocked and works on Rogers straight out of the box.  Hardware-wise though, the Galaxy S and its variants totally spank the N1 and the international version comes unlocked.  I don't know if its 3G bands will work with any Canadian carriers though.  If not, then you might consider looking on ebay or somewhere similar for an unlocked Samsung Captivate since AT&T and Rogers use the same 3G bands.  If you're not on Rogers, then I don't know what to suggest.  That's really the only Canadian carrier I know anything about.

#4 Mr_Tricorder

Mr_Tricorder

Really Impressive Title

• Donators
  • 753 posts
  • Twitter:Mr_Tricorder
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Epic 4G Touch
  • CM Version:
    Leaked EL13 + Root
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

UPDATE: http://www.androidgu...-canada-rogers/

Looks like Canada is getting a Galaxy S phone after all.

#5 XiNull

XiNull
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    ||
  • CM Version:
    N/A
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

that's alright, i just ordered my N1 last night. I went with that one cause it's unlocked.  Kinda slow to ship though, it still hasn't left google.  I hope there not an issue with stock

also, it's funny the article talks like Roger's the only one getting the samsung galaxy S...i've read (and heard from bell yesterday), that they are also getting the Samsung Galaxy S. no dates yet

#6 lithid

lithid

I Like Turtles

• Donators
  • 936 posts
  • Twitter:http://twitter.com/lithid
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo 4G
  • CM Version:
    Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

I have the ATT Captivate and while my friends have N1s this thing rocks...  Rooted the phone.. removed the att bloat... and have a system dump just incase i need to install the att stuff if i need to repair the phone.  Using launcherpro or ADW are both WAY better then touchwiz.  IMO any phone in the galaxy S series is way worth it.  There will be tons of roms for it... PLus its getting cyanogenmod love as well  :D

#7 XiNull

XiNull
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    ||
  • CM Version:
    N/A
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

the other reason i went with the N1, is i need a phone right now, not in september!  Maybe i'll buy another one next year when dual core chips start to come out in mobiles.  But i dont play games, so i think the 1Ghz snapdragon will be fine for now

just saw a video of the cpu comparison of the N1 vs the Samsung galaxy S....the galaxy looks wicked!

#8 Dirty Blueshirt

Dirty Blueshirt

"That's classified."

• Donators
  • 186 posts
  • Twitter:@submariner
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S II (T-989)
  • CM Version:
    None
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

Well, Google has officially sold out of the N1. I suppose that may make your choice a bit easier?

#9 strictlyrude27

strictlyrude27
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:59 AM

View PostDirty Blueshirt, on 21 July 2010 - 06:51 PM, said:

Well, Google has officially sold out of the N1. I suppose that may make your choice a bit easier?

It certainly made my decision easier. I wanted an N1 for the longest time but my credit card statement didn't roll over in time! I only found out about the GS when looking for an N1 alternative.. and it looks like it blows it out of the water.. AND it's cheaper (USD$500 vs USD$550)!

Hopefully CM6 hits the thing soon. Apparently it's really easy to root, too.

#10 XiNull

XiNull
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    ||
  • CM Version:
    N/A
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:25 AM

If Google officially sold out of N1...i must have bought the last one last night then!  I ordered mine around 11pm last night, it just shipped a little while ago :)

But from my understanding, google only stoped selling the N1, doesn't mean it's not available anymore.  I saw a press release saying that google was going to push carrier to sell the N1 when it ran out of stock from their last shipment of N1.

But your correct, had the Galaxy S been available sooner, i probably would have went with that one.