Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

My experience setting up CM7 on Nook Color to run off SD card

Setup SDCard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 UberNewf

UberNewf
  • Donators
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    DroidX, Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Rooted GB, cm_encore_full-209
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

My experience setting up CM7 (nightly 177) on Nook Color to run off SD card
Aug. 31, 2011

Hi there. Figured I’d tell my tale and hope it helps other n00bs during their process. I used an 8G SanDisk class 4 mSD card from CostCo (CC item 314285 \ SanDisk model SDSDQ-8192-AC11M). I bought it in-store and it was labeled as being especially made for cell phones. Performance has been great. I used the steps outlined at http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1000957 to put CM7 on the SD card and then install GAPPS. Over all the process of getting CM7 to run was pretty painless, but once it was running the real work began.

Issues I faced:

1. During the GAPPS install a number of the apps came up as “not found”. Seems like the links in the GAPPS installer\Pacman point to incorrect places on the Android Market (AM), or the fact that the latest AM doesn’t work 100% on the Nook Color made this happen. Read on for what I did to work around this.

2. Android Market (AM) does not work 100% on Nook Color. This manifests itself in apps just not appearing at all on the market, and the front page of the market missing the MOVIES item (among others). I tried to modify my build.prop file to work around this, but could never find a free file utility that would mount that file\folder as R\W. Hesitant to pay for app “Root Explorer”, which apparently works, because I had no proof that it actually *would* work, I stumbled upon a thread explaining that changing LCD density would work. I use app “LCDDensity for Root” to fix this (https://market.andro....n3o.lcddensity). Indeed it does for me, but not permanently. Every day or so I need to do the following to make my AM fully functional:

• Android Settings>Manage Apps>Market>Clear data
  • Run LCD Density app, set it to 160 and reboot tablet via the app (I use the killall method).
  • When it comes back up, run LCD Density app again and set it back to 161.

This keeps the AM functional for a day or so for me. This is relatively painless to have to repeat, but some day it’s going to tip me over and I’ll explode <g>, so if someone can suggest a better way I am all ears.

3. No Netflix, even with the Android Market working. Netflix is not showing up in the Android Market for me. I found the 1.3 .APK file (it’s all over the web) and side-loaded it using DropBox (dropped the .APK in a DropBox-shared folder on my PC, then opened that same folder via DropBox on the Nook and installed it). I did not experience the fast-audio issue many people report (I think that’s because I do #2 above?). The video is terrible for the first 30 seconds or so, but that cleans itself up pretty quickly. If you want to use DropBox, PM me and I'll send you an invite code (you don't need it from me, but it would get me some free space up there. Maybe a thanks for this report? <g>).

4. Wireless connection fails completely. I have seen this only once so far, but that was enough to research a workaround. Seems that if your wireless stops working you can simply “forget” the network and re-add it. This has worked for me (and is another place where DropBox is useful – for transferring those long wireless security keys to the Nook).

5. Some apps just won’t run. WeatherBug is a big one for me: it always force-closes on the Nook. I guess you just need to accept that you won’t get 100% tablet joy from a hacked OS. That’s fine with me though; what I am getting is great, and for every app that crashes there are usually 10 alternatives.

I hope this helps. Finally, a huge thank you to “verygreen” for providing the tools over on xda, and to all those involved in CM7 development and this forum – you’re effort is GREATLY appreciated. I will be donating and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Edited by UberNewf, 06 September 2011 - 05:59 PM.

#2 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
  • Twitter:#!/cyanogen
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
    CM-11 - UNOFFICAL - encore | Kitkat | Android 4.4
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:51 PM

My experience and opinions based on CM7 RC1 :D Tale to help others.

Looks like the android market might never get functional on the nook from what the threads over at the XDA developers are going.

1) Never had a problem with side loading any kind of app I wanted for my nook. As a member of the CM7 team you should look more into learning how to do this instead of depending fully on the full function of Android market as that market is intended for those that are paying for that service. Whatever function we do have is through sketchy "hacks" :huh:  into that market in the first place. Amazon marketplace works on my nook and all you need to do is sign in with a working email and its free.

2) Its not really the fault of the developers for CM7, they are trying to battle against the giant google with their team of fully staffed developers for the market, and they are determined to lock out certain aftermarket software devices like our nook against having a fully functional market. Some sort of software on the side of android market is preventing a good working workaround that does not involve some sort of input from the user. That does not mean someone is not trying. Someone that is very smart and VERY knowledgeable in software is surly going to be so upset about the market locking out certain users that a solution will be found. Where there is a will there is a way. Not to say the developers here are not smart. :P

3) Why do you need or want  Netflix? Do you like spending your hard earned money on movies that you can download for free? If your an anti piracy "advocate" I will rest my case :rolleyes: . I use my nook to watch 720p movies all the time through other means like torrent downloads and using  the application "moboplayer" downloaded from the market.  You do use a hack already bypassing other certain codes and other copyright laws to use the market without buying a service already. Sync for 720p movies is great for a device using a small processor that only supposed to be clocked to 800 mhz. Try using an overclock kernel and open up your nook. Mine plays with minimal lag. VERY IMPRESSIVE for such an underpowered and relatively cheap device.

4) Never had this problem with losing wifi on my nook. Only had it lose signal once or twice in many days of use. We use our nook in the house around a wifi router with a good signal. I inputed my wifi password into it months ago and I have not had a problem with it since.

5) Weatherbug is notorious for being  just that, "buggy". Just look at the reviews of that app on the market on other devices. Some tablet power horses have problems with using and running that application and they are using honeycomb which is not a 'hacked' OS <_< but a product of google trying to windo$e that android fork.

I am not a developer for CM7 and I thank their hard work. All opinions above are on me and my personal opinions not to be affiliated with CM7 or their  development. Class dismissed. B)

#3 RonD

RonD
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for your comments. I updated to nightly 177 yesterday. I also lost wi-fi, kept saying out of range. Deieted the account as you suggested and added back and it's working great.

I used a different method with the market. I uninstalled the market, to get the older version of the market (which I like better anyway). I then used Titanium backup Pro to freeze "Market Updater" so the Market stays at the old version.. I also clear the data and cache on market to give it a fresh start. I also use AppBrain. I check for updates with both Market and AppBrain, sometimes one or the other misses an update.  Sometimes an update from AppBrain fails, so I do a search in the Market and it shows the update and updates fine.

#4 UberNewf

UberNewf
  • Donators
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    DroidX, Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Rooted GB, cm_encore_full-209
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

Nice tip on market, thanks Ron! :)

#5 BPB

BPB
  • Members
  • 9 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Droid
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0 RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:54 PM

Just antecdotally, I'm running CM7.1 RC1 on my Droid classic and the CM7 nightly 177 build on my NookColor. When I want something the market says in incompatible with my NookColor (http://market.android.com/ that is, since you can see all the apps, not just ones screened for your device) I install it on my Droid, then use the app "Bluetooth File Transfer" and the option "Send application". Works like a charm sending the apk automatically to the NookColor. I then uninstall from the Droid and install the apk I've sent to the NookColor (CM7 nightly build).

Works like a charm, every time, and I've never had to fool with the screen rendering issues or anything like that.  (Not the case for movies, however, but I prefer those on the big screen!)

Just a tip - hope it helps someone out.

Also on the wifi, I've noticed there seems to be a limit with the number of access points the NookColor CM7 mod can remember.  If you wifi apparently disappears completely all of the sudden, delete a few access point settings you've picked up from various hotels and airports (that you don't need any more) and try again.  That's using nightly 177.

#6 Tireman9

Tireman9
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

I seem to have a catch-22. I can't install any apps because:
1. I can't Restore when I reboot since the original restor that loaded CM7 to the SD so gapps does not install from the SD card.
2. I can't install any apps from net because the Market says I don't have a registered device
3. I can't install any apps from net because the Market says I haven't used the Market previously

According to my NC I have no apps installed other than the basic ones that are part of CM7

Android 2.3.5
Kernel 2.6.32.9
CMod V 7-08312011-nightly-encore
Build GRJ90

I am using a Sandisk 2GB SD for this trial and it shows 877 MB free

How do I install Market without the Market app?

#7 coolt77

coolt77
  • Donators
  • 60 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

View PostBPB, on 11 September 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

Just antecdotally, I'm running CM7.1 RC1 on my Droid classic and the CM7 nightly 177 build on my NookColor. When I want something the market says in incompatible with my NookColor (http://market.android.com/ that is, since you can see all the apps, not just ones screened for your device) I install it on my Droid, then use the app "Bluetooth File Transfer" and the option "Send application". Works like a charm sending the apk automatically to the NookColor. I then uninstall from the Droid and install the apk I've sent to the NookColor (CM7 nightly build).

Works like a charm, every time, and I've never had to fool with the screen rendering issues or anything like that.  (Not the case for movies, however, but I prefer those on the big screen!)

Just a tip - hope it helps someone out.

Also on the wifi, I've noticed there seems to be a limit with the number of access points the NookColor CM7 mod can remember.  If you wifi apparently disappears completely all of the sudden, delete a few access point settings you've picked up from various hotels and airports (that you don't need any more) and try again.  That's using nightly 177.

Could you provide specific instructions of how you set up bluetooth to work between Droid and the Nook Color to transfer APK files? Sounds like a great idea!

#8 Tireman9

Tireman9
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hi all
Well I decided to re-partition and format the SD and start over. This time I followed
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1000957

and I noted that my previous attempt I left out a couple of minor steps. Follow the instructions exactly and you should get CM7 on SD working with Gapps on your Nook color.