Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Toshiba Thrive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 knight0323

knight0323
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:knight0323
  • Device Model:
    HTC Aria
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

not to necro this thread but has anyone heard if the Thrive will be getting CM9?

#2 bjcjr86

bjcjr86
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:@steelsoxfan
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G1
  • CM Version:
    CM 4
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

CM OS Development for the Toshiba Thrive is really the make or break for me... It is down to $299 for the 8gb around here, but since I love Cyanogen Mod's rom's I'm not willing to pull the trigger without being sure my favorite Dev community is behind it... I love all the ports in it and know developing drivers for those could probably be tedious, but i can still dream for CM9 Thrive support right!? If not I will have to save a little more and get the Asus EE Transformer Prime with the Tegra 3 instead to guarentee ICS Love! but I would like to save the cash and get a Thrive I can load ICS on instead! Would be willing to start a donation fund to buy the CM team a Thrive if It would make a difference! What's the deal!?

#3 Lucifurious

Lucifurious
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Twitter:jablan
  • Device Model:
    MyTouch 3G Slide
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

$279 on Woot right now!

#4 pappadj

pappadj
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    |2|
  • CM Version:
    CM 5
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Yeah Lucifurious, that's why I was looking around for a CM9 port for this as the Thrive is almost a perfect device. If only it had a SIM slot but that's fine... it can tether. So the only thing that holds me back... the single reason I am not sure to pull the trigger, is Cyan support.  If it was on the XDA and being rooted and developed by another group and there was future intentions to root it from Cyan, I would still snag it. Any official response to any desire to root this thing?

Here's why it beats... I think... every device out there.  And it's not due to hardware specs. They may get a B+ rating as we all know there are 8MP cameras, better resolutions, blah blah blah out there. But! If someone can find me a device that has:

REPLACEABLE BATTERY! ... WOW, I think we finally learned that the customer wants to actually own their device and not be forced to replace volatile power sources. Until like true renewable energy sources built in like transparent solar cells on the screen along with some kinetic motion charger and I don't know... whatever.... until something sustainable can be produced for energy, a removable battery just feels close to freedom to me. lol Sorry to be so big about this, just feels like without it, Planned Obsolescence is raping us... and we all are taking it with Apple and Apple wannabe smiles. Finally a tablet that gives the middle finger to this consumerism driven failure of an idea. Thank you Toshiba!

FULL SD SLOT!... OK Micro would have worked just fine but most devices have none at all but a Full SD slot actually provides an external storage source that allows great speed at a size that is just fine. And price goes down also in Full SD mode... anyway, if you love your non-removable battery idea, you probably love the Cloud storage as your only true source of storage of data that you really don't own anymore and subscription living probably works for you where I like something more rooted to something traditional like... I don't know.. owning what I work for.. that's all. :)

FULL USB AND HDMI SLOT!... OK I'm not doing a full review on this device here but the reasons these are important are essentially more of the same. Flexibility and control. Too bad HDMI wasn't so DRM driven but that ship sailed a long time ago and now we will have years of PIPA, SOPA, NDAA, and ACTA issues... people didn't ban together earlier so now we see the results. Meanwhile, great idea on a tablet, I feel like I have more "laptop flexibility with these options built in". Speed is important too... again.. blah blah blah

I think there are more reasons but of course being able to unlock the device is a prerequisite to actually owning a device, I kinda like the size and the protection of the gripped back with style options to swap out. Maybe it's too big for some and that's cool. Maybe some may see the potential of the back plate being breakable and flimsy but what happens when you crack the back of any other tablet, you buy a new tablet. At least with this you can always upgrade, chose different material, customize, compete.. Good stuff.

OK so that's all for my lengthy sales pitch to get a good developer to find interest in CM9ing this baby out. The hardware isn't quad-core 1.5s with a 13mp back 3D Camera with a 3D ULTRA_CRUSH_LED or whatever but really, the specs are at the sweet spot of most current technology as it is and should have some lastability. But it won't be the same without Cyanogen. I'm equally biased to Cyan as all the other features I seem heavily engrossed in enthusiasm over. Cyan gave life to my G1 and my HD2 and gave me reason for hope that we won't all be going with draconian iOS phones or whatever. Android by itself is great but it's like they built the perfect door and Cyan just swapped out the hinges and the nob to make it perfect. :)

#5 GeekYoshi

GeekYoshi
  • Members
  • 20 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SGS2 t-mo
  • CM Version:
    Hopefully CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

For anyone considering buying this tablet, be wary or it. My wife was playing with mine and dropped it 10 inches onto carpet and it spidered the screen

#6 Phonefreedom

Phonefreedom
  • Donators
  • 56 posts
  • Twitter:kg7hq
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Incredible
  • CM Version:
    cm-7.2.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hello,
Im seeing some level of effort for a CM9 port being worked by a couple of individuals. I approach is slow as this a learning effort for them. I believe that this device would be killer if we could convince an experienced developer to place some time to mentor these persons.
I echo the comments above in that this device has huge potential due to the hardware hook up capability.

#7 emarlatt

emarlatt
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Thrive
  • CM Version:
    Thrivedroid32
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

I own a Thrive 16Gig I would love to see a CM9 Rom for it. It would take the already great tablet to an awesome tablet.

#8 emarlatt

emarlatt
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Thrive
  • CM Version:
    Thrivedroid32
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Just something to follow along with http://www.thrivefor...ent-thread.html CM9 is in the works for thrive