Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

How to upgrade Cyanogenmod

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 odinb

odinb
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    cm-7.1.0-RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

Hi!

Currently running cyanogenmod 7.03 from SD card according to this guide: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1000957

I now want to upgrade to RC1, but cannot boot into recovery!

Have tried the following:

1) Power off, hold power & "n button" down until the device turns on and off again. Then press Power to turn the device on normally and access the recovery.

2) With the NC off, hold both the power and home (n) buttons and keep holding them while I count to 6, or count to 2 once the initial message appears on the screen.

3) Hold nook N key and then press and hold power until the "Loading..." message appears and then disappears with screen going blank. Release power button, then press it again and hold for ~5 seconds, the bootloader "Loading..." message should be on the screen for three seconds or so before you release power button, keep holding N button until screen blanks again.

4) Boot normally into Android, then from desktop hold power key until a poweroff menu appears, In the poweroff menu choose "reboot", in the next menu choose "recovery" and press "OK". The nook would reboot straight into recovery.

5) From the terminal on the device, used the command: "reboot recovery" after doing an su.

But none of these seem to trigger the recovery boot. The file "update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip" is still there in the "boot" partition, and the NC boots as always.

What am I doing wrong? It is supposed to be in the "boot" partition, right? Naming also includes "update", so I cannot understand why it will not work.

Edited by odinb, 01 October 2011 - 05:44 PM.

#2 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
  • Twitter:#!/cyanogen
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
    CM-11 - UNOFFICAL - encore | Kitkat | Android 4.4
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:56 PM

If you want to keep the stock nook ROM that came with your nook and update your CM7 that is isolated on your card you will have to dismount your card and update it on your computer THEN remount your card with the nook powered OFF,  then you can do your button dance to get manual recovery to write that CM 7.1 RC1 to your card unless you are using Clockworkmod that is.

You only rename the CM ROM to an update.zip if you have Clockworkmod(CWM) flashed to your eMMC or your internal memory using ROM manager for those that want to flash Cyanogenmod(CM)  to their internal memory. That will overwrite your stock nook ROM though.  Although you can rename your CM 7.1 RC1 to an update.zip if you got a separate CWM card for updating those CM ROM files for your nook, but renaming your CM ROM to an update.zip is a function of the program "Clockworkmod" only.

So NO you do NOT rename the "update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip" if you are using cyanogenmod off of a card unless you are using the program Clockworkmod to flash that ROM to your card using CWM from a separate card to keep your stock ROM, AND by loading that CWM program from that separate microcard onto your nook FIRST, then selecting to flash that ROM to the SD card in the options of said CWM program, which will NOT flash to your eMMC but to your boot card.

Also you do NOT write your CM ROM image files to your boot partition, you write it to the main ROOT partition on your card. The only thing that you put in your boot partition is the sdcard boot image files. All you have to do is mount your micro card on your computer and drag and drop CM 7.1 RC1 straight into the ROOT of your card. Do NOT use Winimage to update, you only use Winimage to write boot files to your card. If you are using Winimage on a windows OS computer that is. On a linux comp all you do is mount your CM image files like you was mounting any other file onto a card.

#3 odinb

odinb
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    cm-7.1.0-RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:38 AM

Ok, found out how to upgrade Cyanogen on the SD, and keep the internals stock.

This is what I did:
1. Connect sd card to computer.
2. Make backup of uImage and uRamdisk.
3. Rename uRecImage to uImage and uRecRamdisk to uRamdisk on the "boot" partition.
4. Download the latest update-cm zip and gapps zip file and copy them to the sd card "boot" partition. In my case they were update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip.
7. Eject card, insert card into nook and boot up.
8. Recovery pops up and starts the install/upgrade.
9. Let it finish, it will then power off, and then you can boot normally.
10. Wait for it to get to the normal home screen.
11. Once you get to the home screen, verify wifi is still setup correctly and click on the market, then follow the normal account setup directions if needed.
12. Download "LCD Density for Root", change to 160 and set your Reboot Method to killall. After reboot, clear the market cache, and and now all apps will work.

#4 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Next time maybe use a recently nightly. 200 and up fixes the market issue and RC1 is very old now.

Edited by patruns, 02 October 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#5 Henry7144

Henry7144
  • Donators
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

Not so savvy....  please explain how I update with a nightly.  Where do I download from and how do I install.  Just rooted my nooko color  to C7 from the SD card and it runs without the card in the nook.  Thanks.

#6 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

View PostHenry7144, on 04 October 2011 - 12:20 AM, said:

Not so savvy....  please explain how I update with a nightly.  Where do I download from and how do I install.  Just rooted my nooko color  to C7 from the SD card and it runs without the card in the nook.  Thanks.

If you are running with CM7 installed in the internal eMMC, the easiest way to do updates is to download ROM Manager from the market. You will need a blank or non bootable SD card for this. (For the updates, not to download ROM Manager.) Only wipe Davlik when prompted and always include the gaaps install, also when prompted.

Edited by patruns, 04 October 2011 - 01:36 PM.

#7 Henry7144

Henry7144
  • Donators
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:09 PM

I downloaded thjis file from the nightly tab is this the one I need to load on the SD card?  Under device there was nothing that said nook.  Where do I get the goapps install?  Thanks. bravoc nightly Posted Image

#8 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
  • Twitter:#!/cyanogen
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
    CM-11 - UNOFFICAL - encore | Kitkat | Android 4.4
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:38 AM

You can get the latest .gapps file here. http://forum.cyanoge...kage-available/

#9 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

I downloaded thjis file from the nightly tab is this the one I need to load on the SD card?

That is not for the Nook. The Nook nightlies are here: http://download.cyan.../?device=encore

#10 Henry7144

Henry7144
  • Donators
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

Thanks very much for the clarification.  Will try it now.

#11 Henry7144

Henry7144
  • Donators
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

So.... i think I'm running with CM7 installed in the internal eMMC, ( I only have a blank SD card in the slot)  
the easiest way to do updates is to download ROM Manager from the market. (Already have ROM Manager on the Nook)

You will need a blank or non bootable SD card for this.  I have one inserted in the slot - and I have downloaded and unzipped the two suggested files on my computer, should I copy to the SD card?  or, where on ROM Manger do I search for the files and then download?  

Only wipe Davlik when prompted and always include the gaaps install, also when prompted. No idea what Davlik is and don't see how to install using ROM Manager.

Thanks for the help I know this is basic but I am not at all familiar with android and obviously, not a programmer.

#12 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

View PostHenry7144, on 05 October 2011 - 07:22 PM, said:

So.... i think I'm running with CM7 installed in the internal eMMC, ( I only have a blank SD card in the slot)  
the easiest way to do updates is to download ROM Manager from the market. (Already have ROM Manager on the Nook)

You will need a blank or non bootable SD card for this.  I have one inserted in the slot - and I have downloaded and unzipped the two suggested files on my computer, should I copy to the SD card?  or, where on ROM Manger do I search for the files and then download?  

Only wipe Davlik when prompted and always include the gaaps install, also when prompted. No idea what Davlik is and don't see how to install using ROM Manager.

Thanks for the help I know this is basic but I am not at all familiar with android and obviously, not a programmer.

In ROM Manager, choose "download ROM", not search for updated ROM. You will get a list of nightlies. When you choose one you will see the rest of the options I mentioned as you continue.

#13 Henry7144

Henry7144
  • Donators
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

Thanks.  When I choose download ROM  I get a screen that syas "Flash ClockworkMod recovery must be installed first.  When I choose install, it asks me to confirm phone model.. which do I select?

#14 patruns

patruns
  • Members
  • 662 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    C10.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

Hmmm... you should already have that. When you open ROM Manager the first item should tell you what version of CWR you have and it should be 3.2.0.1. Either way, just choose to flash it. If you still are asked for the pone look for either Nook or Encore.

#15 Henry7144

Henry7144
  • Donators
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

It tried to install and gave me an error message  " an error occurred while attempting to run priviledged commands"?  So i'm stuck.  What about replacing the files used to root the nook on the boot card with these newer nightly and gapps.  If I then try to boot with those will that over-write the older files and get me to where I want to be?

#16 Henry7144

Henry7144
  • Donators
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

I have retraced my steps and it looks like there might be an error in my recovery file image.  Where can I download this file and I will start the process over.

#17 Henry7144

Henry7144
  • Donators
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

UPDATE - For those that might have been following my tale of frustration, I want to pass along how I resolved the problem..  First, thanks to all who gave me needed advice and direction.  So the problems above seemed to be created by 3 things:  1) I used win32 v3 2) an SD card that showed no files 3) older C7 versions and older gapps.  To resolve 1) I used win 32 V1 2) I downloaded ttps://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/support/jp/sd/sdfv2003.exe    which reformatted my SD card.  Thanks to Crash test dummies episode 55 for this..3) downloaded the newer versions  as of C7 and Gapps as directed above from nightlies http://download.cyan.../?device=encore  and gapps http://forum.cyanoge...kage-available/  

With this on my "new" SD card, I started over and reinstalled everything.  I can now get my Nook Color app to work and everything seems to be fine... for now.  Thanks again.  Hope my struggle can help someone else.

#18 kallekn

kallekn
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Twitter:kallekn
    se - Sweden
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM7 7.1.0
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

View Postmeteorrock, on 01 October 2011 - 10:56 PM, said:

If you want to keep the stock nook ROM that came with your nook and update your CM7 that is isolated on your card you will have to dismount your card and update it on your computer THEN remount your card with the nook powered OFF,  then you can do your button dance to get manual recovery to write that CM 7.1 RC1 to your card unless you are using Clockworkmod that is.

/.../

Also you do NOT write your CM ROM image files to your boot partition, you write it to the main ROOT partition on your card. The only thing that you put in your boot partition is the sdcard boot image files. All you have to do is mount your micro card on your computer and drag and drop CM 7.1 RC1 straight into the ROOT of your card. Do NOT use Winimage to update, you only use Winimage to write boot files to your card. If you are using Winimage on a windows OS computer that is. On a linux comp all you do is mount your CM image files like you was mounting any other file onto a card.

Sorry, too much information at once, so I am unsure whether all of the above is pertinent to my situation.

I am running an old CM7 nightly from the SD card. Where do I place which files in order to update the system and Gapps? And what do I do then?

I am using a Linux computer, and I can see three partitions on my SD card. One is called "boot", another "CM7 SDCARD", and the third has a long, incomprehensible name. The third one contains folders with names like app, bin, etc, fonts, and a file called build.prop. However, I dont't seem to be able to copy anything to this partition, as "I am not the owner".

So, in which partition should I place the files?

UPDATE: When I insert the SD card in my Macintosh computer, I only see two partitions, so I suppose the one called CM7 SDCARD is the one where I am supposed to place the files. But nothing happens, however many times I boot to recovery. It seems that the files are not found. Why is this?

Edited by kallekn, 09 October 2011 - 07:09 PM.

#19 odinb

odinb
  • Members
  • 5 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    cm-7.1.0-RC1
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

1. Download the latest update-cm zip and gapps zip file and copy them to the sd card "boot" partition.
2. Eject card, insert card into nook and boot up. Recovery pops up and starts the install/upgrade.
3. Let it finish, it will then power off.
4. Pull SD card and connect it to computer. Delete TelephonyProvider.apk, Phone.apk and Mms.apk from the app folder. Eject card. Insert card into nook. (This is an optional step to preserve battery power).
5. Boot normally. Wait for it to get to the normal home screen.

Done!

#20 kallekn

kallekn
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Twitter:kallekn
    se - Sweden
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM7 7.1.0
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

View Postodinb, on 09 October 2011 - 07:33 PM, said:

1. Download the latest update-cm zip and gapps zip file and copy them to the sd card "boot" partition.

Sounds easy - except where do I take a fresh update-cm file? The one I found in the wiki is from May, older than my old nightly...

Sorry if this is a silly question. :-I

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk