Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

GAPPS Loop (SD Card Install)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 geronimo51

geronimo51
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2- Maybe
  • CM Version:
    None
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

I followed the directions for the install here.  I used the nightly, I have used the RC as well.  Both times the install says its successful- then powers down.  The next step is to run in CM7 and turn on wifi- Every time I power it up, it says "Loading" then the text piles down the screen, ending with "GAPPS Install file not found- Requesting Powerdown." ?   If this is a common problem please slap me in the face and point me to a thread on proper forum searching... :D :P  Thanks very much in advanced.

Edit:  Oh and in an attempt to figure it out I gave it what it wanted- I loaded the 828 build of GAPPS in to the boot partition of the SD card, it inflated all the files said it was successful and went right back to the same exat termination as above...?

Edited by geronimo51, 08 October 2011 - 02:50 PM.

#2 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
  • Twitter:#!/cyanogen
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
    CM-11 - UNOFFICAL - encore | Kitkat | Android 4.4
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:51 PM

Are you using the program called clockworkmod to upgrade your recent .gapps? If so it might help you to try to flash your .gapps using manual recovery instead or if you are using manual recovery to flash your recent .gapps to try to use the program CWM to see if you can get that .gapps file up and going for yourself.

If you are not sure on how to get into manual recovery check out these videos here http://www.youtube.c...u/2/pld-shVw1AE she shows how it is done on her videos for the nook.

If you are running CM on your card it might help to reboot clear back into the stock nook also by dismounting your boot card after your nook is powered down and then reinserting your boot card with CM on it, bringing CM back up and then trying to reflash your .gapps

#3 geronimo51

geronimo51
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2- Maybe
  • CM Version:
    None
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:27 PM

I didnt use Clockwork.  I just followed the instructions above... I'll try dismounting the card and rebooting.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks for your time.

#4 geronimo51

geronimo51
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2- Maybe
  • CM Version:
    None
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:48 AM

No joy.  It does the same exact thing every time....  How can I load up CM7 to turn on Wifi before loading GAPPS, yet it says it won't load because it can't find GAPPS?!?!?

IS the 828 build the very first GAPPS to install?
Is the very first version I have to install a Release Candidate? Can I go from blank SD Card to a nightly? Is there some other GAPPS base install file I have to put on there first for it to boot?

#5 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:59 AM

What I did when I was running CM on a card was to make that card into a boot card using WinImage then mount whatever flavor of CM you want as an image file onto the root of your card. Make sure the card is formated first. This is assuming you are using some sort of Windows OS on your computer. I also did not use clockworkmod either when I first set up CM on a boot card so thats ok, you do not need to. Its just another method to get you up and going. Use the latest .gapps file found here. http://forum.cyanoge...kage-available/

Then I took that card and used the manual recovery on the nook to  boot  up into Cyanogenmod (CM). You do that by holding in the n button and the power button until 3 or4 seconds after you get the READ FOREVER or THE FUTURE OF READING splash screen, then release both buttons where the nook goes into the linux penguin screen to write that code to your card. Wait for it to say reboot. Then after I was booted up into CM I would go into the settings of CM and set up my wi-fi and power down the nook and dismount my card. If you can not get the linux screen it does not hurt to  power down your nook and try again as many times as you need as that button sequence is tricky.

AFTER I did that part I went ahead and mounted the .gapps file onto the root of my card also on my computer, you can do this without using WinImage btw, just drag and drop the  image file straight into your card and I did the same thing to have the nook write the .gapps file to my card like I did with CM using the method above, having the linux screen write the .gapps file to the card just like it did with CM. You then should get the google app screen setup to get the android market after you reboot into CM a second time.

Your .gapps file will be just one image file, you do NOT put that image file into the boot partition, you put it straight into the root of your card. Just drag and drop the file onto your card.  Do NOT use WinImage for this file. You do not use WinImage either putting the CM image onto your card.

If you want to use a nightly just take that image file and overwrite or delete the other CM file you have on your card on your computer. No need to use WinImage for that, you only use WinImage to make your card into a boot card with the SD card image.zip file you got. Just make sure there is NOT 2 image files for CM on the root of your card and only one CM image file , the file you want to use on your nook.

If you got all of this figured out already and you still are having problems getting your .gapps file mounted let me or others know so they or I can go the next step with you.

#6 geronimo51

geronimo51
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2- Maybe
  • CM Version:
    None
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hmmm... Still not working.  When I hold the N and Pwr buttons it says "Loading"; never showing the Read forever etc.  When I release I see the Linux Code...  Should I make the boot partition bigger- its at 260 megs. These are my next steps:

+Place card in computer (OSX):  Terminal  DD the generic image to the card again.
+Boot into windows, use Easus stretch it to 500 megs this time
+Place the nightly ZIP into the boot partition alone.  
      *****OSX when it downloads zip files, it unpacks it. I've rezipping it and placing the zip in the boot partition.  Would that matter- I think I've also tried by downloading the file  w/o the unpack as well.  DO they mean don't change the name of the file IN the zip?

+Boot the nook with sd..... let it run.....again.

See what happens... those are my steps everytime....

#7 geronimo51

geronimo51
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2- Maybe
  • CM Version:
    None
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

Would block size matter?  I did DD without it prior. Now I am doing it wit BS=1024k....

#8 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:20 PM

Check here for my thread for those using Macs and linux. http://forum.cyanoge...ot-my-new-nook/

Make sure you are NOT mounting your CM image file into your boot partition 1 like you said above. It goes into your root card partition.  We have to do this step by step because improper installation of your files on your card can also result in your boot loop problem. Do not miss around with your block size, you do not need to.

Also this thread here goes into more detail on those using Macs. http://forum.cyanoge...v13-nook-color/

After checking out those threads and watching those videos let us know how you are doing. If you are still having problems we can go the next step. Check the first thread especially box 7 because there are links in there you will need to get up and going on your Mac.

You can use the Lion Disk maker program that is listed in the second thread for Macs.

Your .gapps file will also have to be mounted into your root card partition and NOT the boot partition also.

#9 geronimo51

geronimo51
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Device Model:
    Galaxy S2- Maybe
  • CM Version:
    None
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:44 AM

It appears to be working!
Here is what I did....
+ I used windows to write the generic image to the sd card with winimage.  
+ Then I used Easus to stretch the boot partition to 500 megs
+ Placed the latest nightly into the boot partition
+ Booted the Nook- Bam it worked
+ Booted into CM7 enabled wifi
+ Placed GAPPS 20110828 into the boot partition
+ Booted into CM7, Pressed power button selected shutdown and selected recovery mode

All is well- from there I signed into my google account (I thought someone before had said to skip that?) and the only thing I did NOT check was for google to restore this device from my account.  I accidentally clicked next- and didnt see a couple of the check-boxes.... anyone know what they were? :blink:

What I did differently was:
Did not use DD in Mac- did all in windows
Made the partition 500 megs
**** I suspect this may be something --- Safari in OSX by default will expand any zip files it downloads (mostly) so I was having to rezip the files before placing them on the sdcard. I switched to firefox and bam the downloaded untouched.

Now I have to go do some reading on what the initial check boxes were unless someone wants to post em here for anyone in the future- and go look at all the threads on why youtube isnt working....

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!