Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Sleep of Death debugging

sod

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 frankusb

frankusb
  • Members
  • 7 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

Had my 2nd wireless taking 100% CPU over the weekend after around 6 days of uptime. Wireless is enabled, it can't be disabled but it will not see or connect to any access points.

Frank

Edited by frankusb, 12 December 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#2 tsitalon1

tsitalon1
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM 7.1
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Hey guys,

Long time Android user, new to nook.

Having the SOD issus running the Stable CM7.1 release. I'm confused on what I need to resolve this...patch in this thread, or new nightly build? or what?

Thanks in advance and please keep up the good work, your work is VERY much appreciated.

James

Edited by tsitalon1, 20 December 2011 - 04:37 PM.

#3 Gemini II

Gemini II
  • Members
  • 10 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G1 Dream
  • CM Version:
    CM6
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hello

i just made my account to see if you I can help out.

I have 2 Nook Colors and both have been Rooted and CM7 has been installed I downloaded all the files i needed and did both at the same time so both have the same files but here is the kicker one of them gets the SOD and the other one does not.

So my questin is.
Is there anyting you would like from both so you can compare them?

Thank you

#4 mikejohnson99

mikejohnson99
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hi,

I am a developer but am emphatically not an Android device driver developer.
Just thought I'd pass along a data point about SOD.

I am running CyanogenMod 7.1 stable release on my Nook Color.

Had been running for several months experiencing no problems.

Then suddenly began experiencing SOD (sleep of death).

After reading on this forum that the problem may be WiFi related,
I tried to think about what had changed, what had I done differently?

I realized I had for the first time connected to several public unencrypted WiFi networks.

Upon returning home, I told the OS to "forget" these networks, and have not experienced any problems since, only connected to my home WPA2 network.

So could connecting to an unencrypted WiFi network expose the SOD-related bug(s) in the WiFi driver(s)?

Best Regards!
Mike

#5 Gemini II

Gemini II
  • Members
  • 10 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G1 Dream
  • CM Version:
    CM6
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

Hello

I dont know if that makes a diffrence as both mine and my wifes are conected to only out network with WEP and mine has the problem and not hers (She got lucky) LOL
We have not connected to any other network.

Thank you

#6 aegrotatio

aegrotatio
  • Members
  • 13 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogenmod 7.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

I thank you all for your help but after a few months we still have mysterious overnight battery drains on CM7 even with KANG 7.2.0 and with all the latest fixes for CM7 including removal of telephony application (via "smooth" patch) and cleaning up of WiFi access points.

Edited by aegrotatio, 11 March 2012 - 03:59 AM.

#7 meteorrock

meteorrock

Nook Color Devs

• Donators
  • 1012 posts
  • Twitter:#!/cyanogen
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nook color
  • CM Version:
    CM-11 - UNOFFICAL - encore | Kitkat | Android 4.4
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

Still no Sleep of Death here after a few months of using CyanogenMod 7.1 for myself. For others still experiencing this problem it might help to go in and backup all of your data with a backup app like "titanium backup"  and go in and wipe BOTH the data and caches in your eMMC using clockworkmod through the supplied app "ROM Manager", then re-flashing a stable of cyanogenMod 7.1. I conclude this might be a problem for some of you that are updating your custom ROM and layering in build kernels if the patch mentioned in this thread is not working. I also had this problem with the Release Candidate  build of cyanogenmod 7.1 and had to do a total rewipe of my emmc to get rid of this problem. Others in this thread here have had good luck reflashing a nightly with a patch in this thread here so check that thread out also in box 4. http://forum.cyanoge...ver-from-sleep/

I know this solution is a hassle but it is worth a try if you are still having problems after all of this time after applying the custom kernel patch supplied at the beginning of this thread by the user "Embedded". I myself have not tried his custom kernel patch as I no longer had this problem after a total rewipe of data and caches in my eMMC from the Release Candidate build of cyanogenMod 7.1 a few months back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This might seem to be a matter of course but make sure you are selecting the power down menu for your nook color by long pressing on the power button. Just hitting the power button quickly on your nook does not power down cyanogenmod, all it does is turn your screen off. CyanogenMod is still using processes  of apps wanting wifi and updating, and using your battery in the background of your device. I think this method was implemented by the developers for power users that put down and pick up their nook during the day, as the screen back-light uses up most of your battery.

I have noticed when I forget to power down my nook overnight  that it acts like that "Screen of death" but it is just a dead battery where I pick up the nook,  I hit the power button and get a blank screen, where cyanogenmod does not have enough battery power to boot up until I plug it in and charge it for awhile. Sometimes I get a icon notice with a nook and a lighting bolt symbol underneath that I conclude means it is a dead battery, sometimes not if that battery is way past dead. So keep that problem in consideration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shouldn't the nook color enter some sort of deep sleep mode to conserve the  battery of the course of a few days even if you forget to plug in your nook, and also forget to choose the power off option in the menu? I think it should and this could be some sort of bug.

#8 Henk Poley

Henk Poley
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Twitter:HenkPoley
    nl - Netherlands
  • Device Model:
    Nook Color
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod