Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Samsung Galaxy S I9000 Rooting Trouble on Windows 7 64 bit

Samsung Galaxy S I9000 Rooting ClockworkMod Recovery Windows 7 64 Heimdall Frontend Device not Recognize Failed to Detect Compatible Device

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sinnieboi

sinnieboi
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    I9000
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

Samsung Galaxy S I9000 Rooting Trouble on Windows 7 64 bit

I am a new at this and I am currently having difficulty trying to install cyanogen(mod) 7.1 on my Samsung Galaxy S i9000. I have tried almost everything that I understood to install this. This is the point I give up on researching about it for two days now and asking out for help. I have never Rooted a device but I have done the following instructions provided by <http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_Update_Guide>:
-----------------------------------
Windows ONLY:
  • Power off the Samsung Galaxy S and connect the microUSB to the computer but not the Samsung Galaxy S.
  • Boot the Samsung Galaxy S into download mode by holding down the Home button & Volume Down while connecting the microUSB to it.
  • Run the included zadig.exe in the drivers folder of the Heimdall Suite.
  • From the menu, choose Options » List All Devices.
  • From the drop down, select Samsung USB Composite Device or Gadget Serial.
  • Click Install Driver.

After running zadig.exe I noticed that the program only list my device as "Gadget Serial" but according to the instruction; I installed it anyways. Here's the weird part, the computer seems to recognize my advice in it's normal powered on mode but on Download mode it just says Gadget Serial. I decided to continue on to the next step which was to launch Heimdall Frontend. I extracted the zImage and put it into Kernel (zImage) section. Plugged my phone in and pressed "Start." After that step all I got was "Failed to Recognize Compatible Device."

• Launch the Heimdall Frontend.
  • Unzip Hardcore's SpeedMod Kernel.
  • Select the extracted zImage in the Kernel (zImage) section.
  • Power off the Samsung Galaxy S and connect the microUSB to the computer but not the Samsung Galaxy S.
  • Boot the Samsung Galaxy S into download mode by holding down the Home button & Volume Down while connecting the microUSB to it.
  • Click Start on the Heimdall Frontend. A blue transfer bar will appear on the phone showing the kernel being transferred. The device will reboot automatically.
  • The Samsung Galaxy S now has ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Continue to the next section.

I figured there was something fishy with zadig.exe not recognizing as a Samsung Device. So I installed "Samsung Mobile Device" made for 64bit Windows 7 users. I put the  In the "Device Manager" which I accessed from the "Control Panel" it says Serial Gadget when I click on the USD Device. After I right click and went to properties to update it's driver, the computer recognized it as Samsung USB Composite Device. Even after all these steps; it still hasn't worked.

I tried Odin to root it and it did recognize the device every time I updated my driver on the Samsung device but it failed and I had to reset everything. I have Factory reset-ted this phone 3 times now in case I feel that I made a human error. Hope I explained it as best as I can. Thank you for those who read my troubles.

PS - I just put it into recovery mode but it says I am in Clockword. I don't have the "Superuser" in my app though so I am not sure what happened when I used Odin to do this.

Edited by sinnieboi, 12 October 2011 - 07:08 PM.

#2 border43

border43
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Twitter:border43
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Bell SGS i9000M
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0-GalaxyS
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

The easiest way to get Root and CWM (clockworkmod) is to flash a kernel. I would suggest Speedmod Kernel: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1044519

Once you flash the kernel using Odin, CWM will be installed, and you can install Super User (root) through CWM. CWM is also how you flash Cyanogenmod 7.

#3 sinnieboi

sinnieboi
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    I9000
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:37 PM

Thank you for your response and appreciate your help. I am looking at the link you gave me at the moment. I'd like to explain you what happened as well. When I put the phone into recovery mode, my screen is ClockwordMod Recovery v2.5.1.0 SpeedMod ULFK. Even though when I tried it earlier on Odin it says it failed so my screen went Black and I say two pictures with a Phone and a Computer with two lines in between. So I tried resetting via Odin and it says Passed. After that a Blue line came and it says Removed in the end and then it went into Reboot. When I go download ROM Manager it says I have not rooted my device and also says I don't have super user? Does this mean I have ClockworkMod working on my phone or not?

#4 border43

border43
  • Members
  • 37 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Bell SGS i9000M
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0-GalaxyS
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

Since in recovery you have " ClockwordMod Recovery v2.5.1.0 SpeedMod ULFK" you have successfully flashed the kernel and you DO have clockworkmod. Your phone should be rooted already now as well because the Speedmod kernel is a rooted kernel. It says you have not rooted your device yet because you have not installed Superuser yet.

Simply go to the market and download the superuser app. Then you should be able do anything that requires root, including use ROM Manager.

I don't even think you need to use ROM Manager though. If you want - you can flash Cyanogenmod through Clockworkmod. Use the three button combo and boot to recovery. Then click "install .zip from sd card" and select the cyanogemod 7 zip. You must have it in the root level of your internal SD card.

Or use ROM manger. Either way.

#5 sinnieboi

sinnieboi
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    I9000
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

I did what you asked on the earlier thread and now I am stuck on BOOT Load Page. It won't go any further. Do you know what might have happened?

#6 border43

border43
  • Members
  • 37 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Bell SGS i9000M
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0-GalaxyS
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

I'm not 100% sure what you tried to do. Did you try to flash cyanogenmod 7.1 stable through clockworkmod? If you did that and your stuck in a boot loop, dont worry. That happened to me.
Try taking out the battery, and booting to recovery (clockworkmod) by using the three button combo. Once you get into clockworkmod recovery, simply try to flash the cyanogenmod rom again. But first, remember that you are supposed to wipe the phone first.

From the forum:
  • Root the device and install ClockworkMod Recovery. Instructions are available here.
  • Perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM.
  • Format the system, data & cache partitions of your device.
  • Perform a factory reset.
  • Flash CyanogenMod.
  • Optional: Install the Google Apps addon package.
The second time I tried to flash through clockworkmod it worked for me. I think the problem was that I was not using the latest clockworkmod version to flash. And that might be the case for you. But when you tried to flash cyanogenmod the first time, if your getting a boot loop, chances are the newest version of clockwork mod got installed and you can use that. The text will be blue I think if this has happened to you.

Hopefully this makes sense. I know that it can be difficult to understand sometimes.

#7 sinnieboi

sinnieboi
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    I9000
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

I tried installing CWM from the thread you showed me and it kept going on looped and then I put it in download mode and did it with something that was compatible with froyo. The site you gave me was for 2.3+ Gingerbread phone. Now I am stuck at Galaxy S and I can do nothing about it. I know you were trying to help and I appreciate it but can you help me undo this? I haven't tried to do CyanogenMod even yet. Or should I just try to do the CyanogenMod?

#8 border43

border43
  • Members
  • 37 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Bell SGS i9000M
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0-GalaxyS
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

Lol sorry man, I guess I just assumed you were on Gingerbread. If you can get to Clockworkmod then I would just try to flash Cyanogenmod. There is no reason not to.

Also, don't worry, you will get your phone back. These phones are almost virtually unbrickable. Although I am sorry I have caused you some problems.

As long as you have done backups you are fine, but when you flash clockworkmod you are going to lose your stuff (apps, text messages, contacts, etc.).

If you can not get Cyanogenmod to install through clockworkmod, then let me know. I will point you to a ROM you can flash through Odin (the same way you flashed that speedmod gingerbread kernel) and that will get your phone up and running for sure. Once you do that, you can flash Cyanogenmod right over it easy enough.

But first, try simply flashing Cyanogenmod through clockworkmod if you have it installed correctly.

#9 border43

border43
  • Members
  • 37 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Bell SGS i9000M
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0-GalaxyS
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

If you can not get anything to work, try flashing this ROM: Its Darky's ROM version 10.2. This will for sure get your phone up and running gingerbread. And its really easy to do.

http://www.darkyrom....-gt-i9000.4272/

Then, once you have this working, you can boot to clockworkmod using three button, and then flash cyanogenmod.

But I think you should be able to get cyanogenmod flashed and working from where you are currently anyway. Let me know.

#10 sinnieboi

sinnieboi
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    I9000
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

No Problem mate; I know you were trying to help. It's my mistake trying to do this but I really wanted to try the Cyanogenmod the only way I can try to do this is through the External memory and the Procedure says it must be in the Internal memory?

I can't access the internal memory without getting to home screen.

#11 border43

border43
  • Members
  • 37 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Bell SGS i9000M
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0-GalaxyS
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

You can actually get to the internal memory as long as you can get to Clockworkmod. If you can get to clockworkmod through three button combo, you can choose "mount SD card" or something like that and plug it into your computer. That will allow you to access both the internal and external memory cards.

If you can not get to clockworkmod, then go to download mode (yellow trianlge used to flash kernel) and flash Darky's ressurection 10.2. Then you will be able to access the memory by just turning the phone on.

#12 sinnieboi

sinnieboi
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    I9000
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

I am in clockworkmod but my computer won't recognize it as a Storage device; so I can't input it into the internal memory. The only way I see this working is if I put the zip file on the external microSD and then inserting it in and then installing Cyanogen. But I will have to find something that reads microSD card later on today. I shall keep you updated. I don't know how Darky's Resurrection work thought. I don't want to screw up again.

My problem right now is that my phone will not boot to home screen and it is stuck in Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 screen. So I cannot get into that area the homescreen where I can make the phone into a storage device and insert the zip file.

#13 sinnieboi

sinnieboi
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    I9000
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

I take that Back. I can mount it. Was fiddling around with it and found it. Sorry I don't really know how to use clockworkmod yet that's why it maybe easier to tell me step by step. Thank you for all your help.

#14 border43

border43
  • Members
  • 37 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Bell SGS i9000M
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0-GalaxyS
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

I promise you, installing Resurrection Edition will not screw anything up. Its meant for exactly what happened to you. Its meant to fix soft-bricked phones. So you can do that if you want, and I am sure you will not have any problems. At worst, you will be no worse off than you are right now.

Its as easy as plugging your phone in in download mode, and clicking start in Odin.

You can not install cyanogenmod from the external SD card. It wont work. Don't even try it.

No problem. I'm glad you could mount your internal SD. Now let me know how installing cyanogen works. Because if it does not work for some reason, then I will try to help you do this through Darky's Resurrection. But there is a step-by-step youtube video that shows you EXACTLY what to do to install 10.2 as well. So if you must go that route (if cyanogenmod doesnt install) then that youtube video should help you out.

You dont need to Keep Darky's. Its just a way for you to get your phone back up and running. Then you can immidiately go to Cyanogen or whatever you want to do.

#15 sinnieboi

sinnieboi
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    I9000
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

It Installed but it's looping.

#16 sinnieboi

sinnieboi
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    I9000
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

It's working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're the BEST!!!!

#17 border43

border43
  • Members
  • 37 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Bell SGS i9000M
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0-GalaxyS
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

Yeah I got the loop the first time too. I think it is because I was using an old version of clockworkmod. After trying the second time it did work using the newest version. And I am glad you finally got it working! Sorry for all the confusion.

To let you know, it is best to flash a new ROM with a full battery. So, if you flashed on a less than full battery, and are getting terrible battery life then what you should do is:

Charge your phone to 100% WHILE ITS OFF. Not on.
Once it gets to 100%, three button combo to recovery, go to advance, and then wipe battery stats.

You should not have to do this, but if you do get bad life, try that.

#18 sinnieboi

sinnieboi
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S
  • CM Version:
    I9000
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

Thank You; I think I had around 85% when I did it. I will do that in the morning. Going to sleep with a peace of mind now. Thanks Mate!!!

#19 border43

border43
  • Members
  • 37 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    Bell SGS i9000M
  • CM Version:
    7.1.0-GalaxyS
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

No problem. You should be alright anyway, I would not worry about it unless you notice that its bad.

Hopefully all is well!