Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

CDMA Roaming Automatic Kills Cell Radio

Showcase Automatic CDMA Roam

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phocus

phocus
  • Donators
  • 26 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
  • CM Version:
    Stock
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

After Flashing CM7 on My showcase, I changed the CDMA Roaming to Automatic.

When I did this, it caused My Cell Radio to think I am roaming, and find no signal.

when trying to go back to the nandroid backup I had, It got an error "unable to load /system!"

To Fix this, I found the EE25_fullOdin.tar.md5 and atlas_v2.2.2.pit (sorry I lost the URL).

I used odin to flash it. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE "PHONE EFS CLEAR" OPTION!

Does anyone know if roaming will work without this option enabled?

#2 fastlerner

fastlerner

Zombie Trainer

• Donators
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:JMSchweitzer
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Showcase
  • CM Version:
    Stock 2.2.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

Found a possible work-around over on rootzwiki.  Not sure if it works for CellSouth but it's worth a shot.

http://rootzwiki.com...SCC-ONLY-Sorry)

Possible CM7 Roaming fix (USCC ONLY, Sorry)

This was brought to my attention by another user but since he is unable to share it right now told me too.

This is for USCC only. I do not know the effects on Verizon or Cell South.

Apparently if you enable international roaming and set networks to affiliated only it will allow the phone to roam. You have to change this manually as needed and when you come back in a service area you need to switch it back. I do not have an area that is can test this in. So anyone that normally roams and hasn't been able to since on CM7. If you want to try this out and post your results. That's great.

Again this worked for him. I wouldn't call it a sure fix. Just something that was found and worth sharing I thought.

#3 phocus

phocus
  • Donators
  • 26 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
  • CM Version:
    Stock
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

Interesting.  Next time I travel I will try that.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

#4 twain101

twain101
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Showcase
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

I'm on C Sprire and I am having problems when traveling. While I'm in Starkville (where I rooted my phone and flashed CM7) everything is perfect. Everything I have used works. Yesterday I had to drive to Jackson and when I was about 50 miles away I lost signal. I went to check my mobile network settings and tried to switch the CDMA roaming mode to "Affiliated Networks" but it wouldn't save that setting. When I did this it would bring 3G back but I still had no "cell" signal (I couldn't call or text). After a while I would lose 3G, go check the CDMA mode, and it had switched back to "Home Only." "Automatic" did nothing.

I tried following the instructions in this video but couldn't find the com.android.hiddenmenu file. Instead I had some sort of motorola menu item that couldn't be expanded. Crazy.

So, I'm back home and everything is working fine. As soon as I got back in range it started working again. I don't know enough about how these networks are set up to figure out what the problem is. Is it possible I'm somehow just tied to Starkville?

I have some time before I have to travel again, so I thought I would ask you guys what you thought before flashing back to the stock Samsung crappiness. CM7 is so much faster, and I love it so much, but I need to be able to text and call outside of Starkville.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

#5 fastlerner

fastlerner

Zombie Trainer

• Donators
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:JMSchweitzer
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Showcase
  • CM Version:
    Stock 2.2.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

I think I remember seeing on another rooting forum that you need to be sure to be on your home network the first time you boot up after applying an image.  Otherwise, there is the risk that your phone will bond with Verizon (which is who provides the backbone for the roaming nationwide network).

I would suggest redoing it next time you are in Jackson or some other area that you know for sure is covered by Cspire towers.

This is especially important for another reason.  When it was Cellular South the unlimited nationwide roaming was free as long as 50% or more of your traffic was on Csouth towers.  If you're bonded to Verizon, then even if you're in a Csouth area, you'll be on Verizon towers 100% of the time which will end up costing you roaming eventually.   Don't know if it's still being done that way since they changed to Cspire, but I wouldn't risk it.

#6 twain101

twain101
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Showcase
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

So is there a way I can flash it again here while making sure that I'm on a cspire tower?