Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

How I installed Cyanogenmod 7.1

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mcarans

mcarans
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

I thought it might help if I shared how I installed Cyanogenmod 7.1, highlighting the issues I overcame.

Rooting the phone using Odin and insecure ROM was easy.

I tried to use the RomManager app to flash ClockworkModRecovery. I rebooted into ClockworkModRecovery and then attempted to install the Cyanogenmod 7.1 zip I had downloaded and copied to the SDCard. I got errors like "Invalid whole-file signature"

I then used Odin to flash GT-I9100_ClockworkMod-Recovery_4.0.0.2.tar. There is a guide that mentions using this, although I did not actually find this guide at the time: http://www.thegeeksc...galaxy-ii-phone

I rebooted into ClockworkModRecovery and then attempted to install the Cyanogenmod 7.1 zip. This time, it seemed to install far too quickly. I rebooted and sure enough it failed to boot.

When I rebooted into ClockworkModRecovery I found it had been upgraded from 4.0.0.2 to 5.2.6 or something. I attempted to install the Cyanogenmod 7.1 zip again. A proper installation bar appeared. I also installed the Google apps zip.

I rebooted. Finally Cyanogenmod loaded normally.

I used Titaniumbackup to restore everything. Cyanogenmod then became unstable with crashes in Android core components.

I decided to revert to stock rom to save my contacts etc. and tried to install it using Odin. It would not boot. (I tried several times)

I reflashed Cyanogenmod again and found a way to extract my contacts from the Kies backup file to get them on to the phone. I lost some but never mind.

I had problems with the market - it would not download some of my apps (saved in my Google profile). I kept deleting the market cache over and over and gradually it allowed me to (re)install my apps.

I had problems with the phone shutting down when showing 66% power, so I recalibrated the battery which seemed to resolve it.

I've now replaced the ADW launcher with Zeam, dialler with DiallerOne, sms messager with Go SMS Pro, keyboard with Go Keyboard, browser with Dolphin Browser HD. Installed AdAway ad blocker, Droidtools, MyPhoneExplorer client. I turned off the lock screen as I just want to use the old pattern unlock one.

Finally, Cyanogenmod rules. But it has to rule since it looks like I cannot go back to stock roms with Odin any more.

Edited by mcarans, 20 October 2011 - 09:10 AM.

#2 saj1jr

saj1jr
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
  • CM Version:
    None
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

Maybe you can help me out here....

I'm having a hell of a time getting this to work.

After I flash the clockwordmod with Odin and reboot, suddenly my phone has no service, and the bottom buttons don't work properly. (Menu, Home, and Back Button do not work. The Search Button is now the menu button, therefore, if I boot into recovery, I can't flash anything because I don't have a home button)

Any ideas? I'm pretty stuck here. Do you have to use clockworkmod to flash stuff, or can I use something else? Like the phones stock recovery system?

#3 mcarans

mcarans
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

Yes that also happened for me. It seems some versions of clockworkmod use the various buttons in different ways. I can't remember off hand which button acted as the select option button - it might even have been the power button on the right of the phone. Try all the buttons - I'm sure one of them will act as the select option.

#4 saj1jr

saj1jr
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
  • CM Version:
    None
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:45 AM

I definitely tried them all, and none of them worked :(

#5 waeking

waeking
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Device Model:
    GTi19100
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogen 7.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:55 AM

I flashed a CF ROOT kernel first to get a recovery boot. Then I deleted the cache and Dalvik cache, Next a Factory reset. The I flashed the cyanogenmod the first time was fast so without rebooting I flashed the same cyanogenmod again, this time it took longer. Next I rebooted the phone and all has worked great since.

Note: I tried to just flash the cyanogenmod once and reboot. The result was a continuous boot loop, and no recovery boot option.

#6 mcarans

mcarans
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

waeking, thanks for your additional information. I forgot to mention the cache and Dalvik cache deletion and factory reset prior to installing Cyanogenmod.

#7 Jaap Lelie

Jaap Lelie
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

For sure, I'm facing the same installation issue as the starter of this thread (mcarans):

-- Installing package...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I'm new to this 'modding' scene and thought the world of myself after rooting my SGSII :-) So I took quite a big leap and installed ROM Manager and downloaded the latest ROM. I'm sure I would be able to install cyanogenmod using mcarans' instructions, but I think I'll wait a bit longer for a true stable release, hopefully the signature issue will be resolved by then too.

Keep up the good work, all!
Jaap.

#8 robdood

robdood
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S II
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

View PostJaap Lelie, on 09 November 2011 - 06:22 AM, said:

For sure, I'm facing the same installation issue as the starter of this thread (mcarans):

-- Installing package...
Installation aborted.

I'm new to this 'modding' scene and thought the world of myself after rooting my SGSII :-) So I took quite a big leap and installed ROM Manager and downloaded the latest ROM. I'm sure I would be able to install cyanogenmod using mcarans' instructions, but I think I'll wait a bit longer for a true stable release, hopefully the signature issue will be resolved by then too.

Jaap.
Just redownload the zip, i'ts corrupt. Use an md5 checker to confirm the checksum.

#9 mcarans

mcarans
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

View PostJaap Lelie, on 09 November 2011 - 06:22 AM, said:

-- Installing package...
Installation aborted.

Jaap.
Hi Jaap,

Did you still get that  E:signature verification failed error after installing GT-I9100_ClockworkMod-Recovery_4.0.0.2.tar using Odin, rebooting into ClockworkModRecovery and installing Cyanogenmod 7.1 zip? For me, I did not get the signature error after installing GT-I9100_ClockworkMod-Recovery_4.0.0.2.tar, but the install happened too fast, so I had to reboot again into what turned out to be a now newer ClockworkModRecovery and install Cyanogenmod 7.1 zip again.

Cheers,
Mike
PS: May I reiterate what a fine piece of work Cyanogenmod is. My friend has an S2 as well with the Samsung firmware and she keeps telling me how much more responsive my phone is than hers.

Edited by mcarans, 14 November 2011 - 04:51 PM.