Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Cyanogen Mod, install on sk17a

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 artzneo

artzneo
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:artzneo
  • Device Model:
    sk17a
  • CM Version:
    Sony xperia mini pro
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

i have the same question my phone is a sk17a,

#2 snake10100

snake10100
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    ar - Argentina
  • Device Model:
    Xperia Mini Pro Sk17a
  • CM Version:
    Stock
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

PLEASE cyanogenmod for sk17a :(

#3 Androidarian

Androidarian
  • Members
  • 100 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC myTouch slide
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3, no recovery image
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'm in the same situation.  I just bought this phone and it's sk17a.  I'm going to try to install CM.  Does anyone know if it will work?  I hope so because this is the "perfect" phone for me, but only if it runs CM.

Thanks

#4 Androidarian

Androidarian
  • Members
  • 100 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC myTouch slide
  • CM Version:
    7.0.3, no recovery image
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:38 AM

OMG that was the easiest Cyanogen install EVER.  I whispered "Cyanogen" as I powered up the phone and it was installed. Well, not quite but almost.

Seriously, it is so great that Sony provides an easy way to unlock their factory bootloader and flash the Clockwork Mod.

Simple steps:

1. Get the IMEI (it's written on the box or you can get it from the Settings) and enter it into the Sony-Ericsson page for generating the unlock key.

2. Hold the volume-up key while inserting the USB into the computer.  I'm running Ubuntu and I already have the Android SDK installed so I didn't have any extra download steps.

3. Follow the instructions for using fastboot to unlock.

4. Follow the instructions for using fastboot to install boot.img from Cyanogen.

5. Use fastboot to reboot, and while rebooting toggle the volume key a few times to get into Clockwork Mod.

6. Use clockwork mod to do a backup.  Not that I care about the Sony ROM, but I do want to extract their mapping application, and maybe some foreign language support packages.

7. Uh oh, I forgot to copy Cyanogen updater.zip onto the sd card before doing this.  I don't want to bother pulling out the SD card, but a cool feature of Clockwork Mod is I can use ADB to push files.  A simple adb push updater-___.zip /sdcard/ and it's there.

8. Then I use Clockwork Mod to wipe data and install zip (choose file), and 60 seconds later Cyanogen is installed.

It probably took longer to type this post than to install it.  Of course big thanks to Cyanogen.  Also big thanks to Sony Ericsson for supporting this and give us an easy path.

This phone is great, about the width and length of a credit card.  I know everyone wants bigger and bigger phones these days, but I want the smallest possible phone that has a keyboard, and this is perfect for me.

The only downside: I'm still not able to get onto 3G on T-Mobile with this phone.  I don't know if there's a setting I can do, but it's still working at painfully slow 2G speeds.  That's nothing to do with Cyanogen of course.  I found this link which explains.  Wish I had known earlier.  Maybe I'll switch to ATT.

One other minor annoyance is my favorite wallpaper (Magic Smoke) seems to be gone from CM 7.2!  Please bring back Magic Smoke!  I did install it from the 7.1 zip file, but it crashes when I go to settings, not sure why.  I guess I could compile it if I really wanted to.

POST-INSTALLATION

I've edited this to list some of the post-installation things I do.  First, I do not install the Google Apps.  I don't want stuff like that installed in /system, and most of it I don't want at all, especially not the market or synchronization.  So this is what I do:

1. I use unyaffs to extract the system image I made in the backup with Clockwork Mod.  The yaffs2utils package doesn't work!  No, you need to use Ehlers unyaffs instead.  Works great in Linux.  Once I extract that, go into app, and pick what you want.  I wanted Maps.apk and Street.apk (Google Streetview) and that's about it.

2. Remove the annoying camera click: I reboot into recovery.  From within ClockworkMod I go to mounts, and mount /system.  Then adb shell, and then:

rm /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg

That gets rid of the annoyingly excessive camera click.  This is legal to do in the US but may not be legal in some other countries.

3. Enjoy having a great new phone without the carrier crapware, and with Cyanogen!

I'm looking forward to CM9, but really, CM 7.2 is good enough that I'm very happy with it.

Edited by Androidarian, 20 May 2012 - 09:56 AM.