Jump to content

Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse
 

[CM9 Beta] Samsung Exhibit II 4G SGH-T679 (T-Mobile)


  • Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#101 DAN SWAGGER

DAN SWAGGER
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    samsung exhibit ii 4g
  • CM Version:
    xquizit 6.1/cm9 kang
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thanx jocala ur a f'ing God :lol:

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

#102 detdett

detdett
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SGH T679
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogenmod 9
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

 DAN SWAGGER, on 11 August 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

Thanx jocala ur a f'ing God :lol:

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
he fixed the camera flash as well. You can worship him now

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

#103 DAN SWAGGER

DAN SWAGGER
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    samsung exhibit ii 4g
  • CM Version:
    xquizit 6.1/cm9 kang
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

Thanks n no thanks

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

#104 DAN SWAGGER

DAN SWAGGER
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    samsung exhibit ii 4g
  • CM Version:
    xquizit 6.1/cm9 kang
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:53 AM

New build so smoov but no flash but who cares this build is damn near rc status jocala ur the man

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

#105 DAN SWAGGER

DAN SWAGGER
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    samsung exhibit ii 4g
  • CM Version:
    xquizit 6.1/cm9 kang
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

Jocala 8/14 freakin awesome

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

#106 DAN SWAGGER

DAN SWAGGER
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    samsung exhibit ii 4g
  • CM Version:
    xquizit 6.1/cm9 kang
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Again jocala superb build v6'd so smooth stay over 210mb free of memory awesome

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

#107 DAN SWAGGER

DAN SWAGGER
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    samsung exhibit ii 4g
  • CM Version:
    xquizit 6.1/cm9 kang
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

J my dude u rokc 9/17 f'ing awesome

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

#108 Liquid_Sunset

Liquid_Sunset
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SGH-T679
  • CM Version:
    9
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

I have the most recent CM 9 and everything is working great. But it will not accept my microSD. It shows as there but can not read what is on it in Storage settings.

So for example--I open camera and it says to insert an SD card before taking pictures. The camera does actually open and display.

When I go to my image gallery, it shows the images in the background, but then the dialog box pops up saying there are no images on the device. Similarly, when I go to my music (in Play Music app) it lets me go so far as to select a song, but then says the song can't be played. It also comes up in recovery mode just fine. It's there, it just isn't there.

I tried formatting it as FAT32. No luck. I've enabled USB debugging. Any ideas?

I went straight from stock rom to CM 9 using CWM recovery. I'm only borderline tech savvy o.O but if anyone else had this problem or knows what to do I can probably understand what you're saying.

#109 wrusry

wrusry
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Exhibit
  • CM Version:
    CM10
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

 Liquid_Sunset, on 18 September 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

I have the most recent CM 9 and everything is working great. But it will not accept my microSD. It shows as there but can not read what is on it in Storage settings.

So for example--I open camera and it says to insert an SD card before taking pictures. The camera does actually open and display.

When I go to my image gallery, it shows the images in the background, but then the dialog box pops up saying there are no images on the device. Similarly, when I go to my music (in Play Music app) it lets me go so far as to select a song, but then says the song can't be played. It also comes up in recovery mode just fine. It's there, it just isn't there.

I tried formatting it as FAT32. No luck. I've enabled USB debugging. Any ideas?

I went straight from stock rom to CM 9 using CWM recovery. I'm only borderline tech savvy o.O but if anyone else had this problem or knows what to do I can probably understand what you're saying.

That is strange.  I recognizes my micro SD card just fine.  It certainly shouldn't require you to have a SD card to take pictures as the default location for pictures is on the internal USB storage.  Perhaps you should try flashing it with the cm9zip file on the internal storage and flash it with the SD card removed.

Good luck.

I just switched over to CM9 a few days ago.  He since came out with a build yesterday and I flashed that.  Both work well.  911 calling works for me even though it is stated that it does not.  I get the vanishing text problem and my flashlight doesn't work as he states.  There are a few small bugs, but I like this considerably better than the stock ROM".

#110 HeresMathew

HeresMathew
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Location:
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogenmod 9
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Hey,

I really hope this is the right place to post this.  If it isn't, I appologize and would greatly appreciate any guidance to the RIGHT place to post my question.  I am kind of a newbie at this so bare with me please.  I installed CM9 Beta on my Samsung Galaxy Exhibit II 4g and everything seems to be running fine, I'm loving it!  There is just one thing I can't figure out.  I'm using the app Spotify and when I'm trying to download my playlists it is using my USB storage instead of my external 32gb sdcard.  I have gone into the Storage Configuration menu and changed it to "Use SD Card for Apps and Media" but it still isn't working for me....as soon as the limit on my USB storage is reached, Spotify quits downloading playlists.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mathew

Edited by HeresMathew, 01 October 2012 - 06:06 PM.


#111 stevec5000

stevec5000
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

Anyone come up with a ROM for this phone yet or even a way to root it that works? Does CM9 really work?  I've tried the procedure on xda-developers but that does nothing. I'd like to find a ROM that will give it the ability to get 3G if possible.
Also, somewhere between ver. 2.2.1 and 2.3.5 they changed the displays on Samsung phones so they say 4G all the time no matter if you are on 3G or 4G. I'd like to get back the ability to display 3G on the screen when using 3G if possible.

Edited by stevec5000, 08 October 2012 - 03:40 AM.


#112 stevec5000

stevec5000
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

 windbk, on 03 August 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:

I'm running Jocala's CM9 mod on my SGH-T679 and it works great.  A bit laggy at some times, but nothing that is horrific. I am curious about one thing though, how can I update the modem on my SGH-T679?  I have great signal at home and when I am out and about.  Yet while I am at work (Maybe 65 feet from a window) I have little to no signal and my db numbers are over -105 up to as high as -113 that I have seen.  

Please note I am using this phone on StraightTalk via a Straight Talk Simcard, not the t-mobile service.  Yet, ST Mobile does use the T-Mobile Towers.

Any insight as to improving signal where I am 9 hours a day would be awesome.

Thank You!,

Windbk
The phone doesn't get 3G and they don't have many 4G towers so you might not be near any at work since they tend to be near shopping malls. Get the OpenSignalMaps app and you can see what kind of towers are around you and where they are located.  
BTW, where did you find the ROM and how did you manage to root the phone to install it?

Edited by stevec5000, 08 October 2012 - 03:11 AM.


#113 stevec5000

stevec5000
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

 dennis96411, on 10 August 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

New build released! Camera is fixed now! Go get it while it's hot!

Download: http://d-h.st/4YA
Dennis, will this give the phone the ability to get 3G and not just 4G or Edge?  Also, don't I need a way to root it to install this?  How would I do that, I've tried everything but haven't found any way that works. Are there directions in plain English?  I checked the xda-developers forum relating to that CM9 mod and it starts out almost making sense but then degenerates into 501 pages of total nonsense and gibberish.  For instance, what the heck does it mean when they say "Installation requires a CWM-based recovery"?  Surely there must be directions somewhere that make sense?

Edited by stevec5000, 08 October 2012 - 05:39 AM.


#114 DJ_SpaRky

DJ_SpaRky
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Location:
    Groveland, FL
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (T999L)
  • CM Version:
    cm-10.1.3-d2tmo
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

You could try changing the Network Type using Service Mode:

Changing band preference
In dialer, enter Service Mode via

Quote:
*#*#2263#*#*

You should see:
[1] Automatic
[2] WCDMA Band Preference
[3] GSM Band Preference

To force WCDMA only, tap option 2, on next screen tap option 6 - WCDMA All

To force GSM only, tap option 3, on next screen tap option 7 - GSM All

You can use the back button to verify your settings took effect. To exit, tap menu button, quit. This change does not survive a reboot. If you use this frequently, save it as a contact.

#115 stevec5000

stevec5000
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

 DJ_SpaRky, on 08 October 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

You could try changing the Network Type using Service Mode:

Changing band preference
In dialer, enter Service Mode via

Quote: *#*#2263#*#*
You should see:
[1] Automatic
[2] WCDMA Band Preference
[3] GSM Band Preference

To force WCDMA only, tap option 2, on next screen tap option 6 - WCDMA All

To force GSM only, tap option 3, on next screen tap option 7 - GSM All

You can use the back button to verify your settings took effect. To exit, tap menu button, quit. This change does not survive a reboot. If you use this frequently, save it as a contact.
Yeah you can do that in the regular wireless settings.  I've tried that method too but it doesn't do anything more. With the stock rom you can't do anything but change from WCDMA to Edge and back no matter how you do it and you just get 4G with WCDMA. Looks like it only gives 3G using the CM9 mod but that string won't work again to change it back and I can't get all the towers now.

Edited by stevec5000, 09 October 2012 - 02:40 AM.


#116 stevec5000

stevec5000
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

I hate 4.0.4, everything is in a different place and I can't find any of the settings now. Is there a simple wireless setting to allow changing from Edge to WCDMA anymore like there was in 2.3.5? Also there doesn't even seem to be a way to save contacts in the phone app. Does anyone know if there is a user manual that tells where to find settings?

#117 dennis96411

dennis96411
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:dennis96411
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Location:
    ¬_¬
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 9 [Android 4.0.4]
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

 stevec5000, on 09 October 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

I hate 4.0.4, everything is in a different place and I can't find any of the settings now. Is there a simple wireless setting to allow changing from Edge to WCDMA anymore like there was in 2.3.5? Also there doesn't even seem to be a way to save contacts in the phone app. Does anyone know if there is a user manual that tells where to find settings?

Steve... Look, even though the status bar says 3G, you're still getting the "4G" you used to get with stock ROM. Don't believe me? Flash back to stock, go to Settings >> About phone and you will see that even if the status bar says 4G it will say UMTS under the About phone panel. "4G" for T-Mobile is just a marketing technique to make people believe that their 3.5G network is actually 4G. Oh, and by the way, this phone's cellular modem has a maximum speed of 14Mbps. If you can't accept those facts, then here are a few options left for you.

* Sell the phone and get an iPhone, or a phone equally easy to use.
* Stop attacking members who want help, and get over it. You bought a budget phone, don't expect it to be a super phone.
* Accept the fact that "3G" and "4G" are identical for the different ROMs.
* Change the 3G icon to a 4G icon with a system customization app so you'll feel good about it.
* Stay on stock ROM and keep believing that you're actually getting anything different.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dennis96411, 10 October 2012 - 12:33 PM.


#118 stevec5000

stevec5000
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:27 AM

 dennis96411, on 10 October 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

Steve... Look, even though the status bar says 3G, you're still getting the "4G" you used to get with stock ROM. Don't believe me? Flash back to stock, go to Settings >> About phone and you will see that even if the status bar says 4G it will say UMTS under the About phone panel. "4G" for T-Mobile is just a marketing technique to make people believe that their 3.5G network is actually 4G. Oh, and by the way, this phone's cellular modem has a maximum speed of 14Mbps. If you can't accept those facts, then here are a few options left for you.

* Sell the phone and get an iPhone, or a phone equally easy to use.
* Stop attacking members who want help, and get over it. You bought a budget phone, don't expect it to be a super phone.
* Accept the fact that "3G" and "4G" are identical for the different ROMs.
* Change the 3G icon to a 4G icon with a system customization app so you'll feel good about it.
* Stay on stock ROM and keep believing that you're actually getting anything different.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
You should stop telling all those lies!  I don't think you even own a phone so you shouldn't be making comments if you don't know what you are talking about and are just repeating silly nonsense you read somewhere else. This is easy to prove, just take the phone out and try it!
3G and 4G are not the same, they use UMTS for 3G and HSPA+ for 4G but the phone can't get 4G with the worthless CM9 mod anymore, only 3G with UMTS and it's not even at full 3G speed anymore, just 384Kb.  It's too slow now to even get the Play store to open!  Don't anyone even bother to check out these worthless mods before releasing them to see if they work or if they screw up the phone to the point it doesn't work anymore?  It also made the screen less responsive to touch because it's too loaded down with bloatware running in the background all the time that I can't remove or stop. Everyone complains about all the bloatware that comes from T-Mobile but CM9 is even worse!

#119 dennis96411

dennis96411
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:dennis96411
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Location:
    ¬_¬
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 9 [Android 4.0.4]
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

 stevec5000, on 17 October 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

You should stop telling all those lies!  I don't think you even own a phone so you shouldn't be making comments if you don't know what you are talking about and are just repeating silly nonsense you read somewhere else. This is easy to prove, just take the phone out and try it!
3G and 4G are not the same, they use UMTS for 3G and HSPA+ for 4G but the phone can't get 4G with the worthless CM9 mod anymore, only 3G with UMTS and it's not even at full 3G speed anymore, just 384Kb.  It's too slow now to even get the Play store to open!  Don't anyone even bother to check out these worthless mods before releasing them to see if they work or if they screw up the phone to the point it doesn't work anymore?  It also made the screen less responsive to touch because it's too loaded down with bloatware running in the background all the time that I can't remove or stop. Everyone complains about all the bloatware that comes from T-Mobile but CM9 is even worse!

How about you just get out of here and get an iPhone? I've had this phone for a year, so don't even go there. I get the exact same speeds on CM's "3G" and stock ROM's "4G" (both 1.5Mbps at my house, what a shocking conclusion); yes, I would know because I've had this phone for a year, which is from what I can see 10000x longer than the time it takes for you to piss of members who want to help. Blame it all on your ignorance and denial, it's not our fault you refuse to believe the words of the developers themselves. Why don't you just sell this phone and stick with your GSII? You're obviously too in denial to accept any help. Oh, and guess who just got ignored?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dennis96411, 17 October 2012 - 12:24 PM.


#120 stevec5000

stevec5000
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
  • CM Version:
    none
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

 dennis96411, on 17 October 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

How about you just get out of here and get an iPhone? I've had this phone for a year, so don't even go there. I get the exact same speeds on CM's "3G" and stock ROM's "4G" (both 1.5Mbps at my house, what a shocking conclusion); yes, I would know because I've had this phone for a year, which is from what I can see 10000x longer than the time it takes for you to piss of members who want to help. Blame it all on your ignorance and denial, it's not our fault you refuse to believe the words of the developers themselves. Why don't you just sell this phone and stick with your GSII? You're obviously too in denial to accept any help. Oh, and guess who just got ignored?
Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
Dennis, I don't think you even own a phone!  If you did then you wouldn't keep making statements that don't make sense! If you use an app like OpenSignalMaps or Network Signal Info you can see what kinds of towers you connect to and what protocol they are using so you won't be so confused.  It's easy to tell what the phone is able to get, just take one out and try it with those apps!
I've had my phone since January and tested it against the 3G/4G Samsung Galaxy S, 3G Samsung Vibrant and 3G/4G Samsung Galaxy S-II and that's how I know that it would only get 4G before and only gets 3G now and that you don't know what you are talking about.
You seemed to be saying before that it would only get 3G in the first place but was reporting 4G?  Well that's not true since it would only get 4G near 4G towers and not get anything near 3G towers. If it only got 3G then it would work on 3G too but it didn't!  They use HSPA+ for 4G and UMTS for 3G but it never got UMTS before. Now it can only get UMTS for 3G but it's not even full speed 3G and only works at 384kb!
That speed is too slow to even open the Play store. I got an internet radio station to play a little bit but it was intermittent and buffered a lot so the phone is mostly worthless now.  Also, I know the phone only works up to about 7Mb but so does the 3G/4G Galaxy S, that doesn't indicate anything that has to do with it being on 3G or 4G.
As far as helping me, how are you going to do that, re-write the worthless CM9 app so it works properly without screwing up the phone? To do that I think you need to contact the app developers and try to get them on the right track since it has nothing to do with me as I'm a network engineer not a programmer.