Jump to content

Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse
 

Something I Noticed About the WiFi Problem


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Colecago

Colecago
  • Members
  • 35 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

Right after I start my touchpad, I turn on my WiFi and it connects no problem.  Then when it drops, I toggle it on and off using a WiFi toggle widget and just wait, and it will never connect.  When I go into the settings it is stuck at Connecting/Scanning/Disconnected.  I toggle it within the WiFi menu and it connects immediately.  If I toggle it using the widget and immediately go to the WiFi settings screen, it will connect.  If when it drops I toggle it through the setting screen, it connects.  It appears that I have to be in the WiFi settings menu or it will not connect successfully, kind of like having to babysit it.  Also, interesting note, whenever my WiFi stops working, it always shows full bars, no matter how weak my signal strength was when I was connected.

#2 TwoWheelsOnly

TwoWheelsOnly
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Location:
    Birmingham, AL
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    7.1 Alpha 3
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

Do you have any other computers on your wifi network that suffer dropped network issues, but are better at getting back up and running? I too was having Wifi stability issues, which showed itself most predominantly on the somewhat fragile Wifi of the TP.  But it was noted on other devices on my network (desktops, iPod Touch, laptops, etc.).

I had tried the "babysit" method you referenced, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  Sometimes a reboot wouldn't even work.

At the recommendation of someone either here or on Rootzwiki, I loaded the "Wifi Manager" app from the Marketplace.  It shows a graphic of the channels being used around me and I noted some overlap with a network that had a relatively strong signal.  I changed my channels into an unused channel in the spectrum, and voila, my stability issues went away.

It has been running for almost a week without dropping the connection (unless I told it too, because I am the boss of the TP :D ).  This also created stability across my entire wifi network.

Just my thoughts.  I hope it helps.

--TWO

#3 tek-wan

tek-wan
  • Donators
  • 4 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM7 as soon as available
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:53 AM

This is my own personal experience -- your mileage may vary.

I had absolutely no problems with the wifi in alpha 1, 2, or 3.  Until I installed Chains 3D.  My wifi started going out and almost nothing would get it to come back.  I uninstalled Chains 3D.  My wifi was just fine again.

In some cases, like mine, the wifi problems may be caused by an application conflict.

Again, though, just my own experience.  
=)

#4 monkeydodo3

monkeydodo3
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogenmod 9 Alpha 2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:48 PM

This is pretty much the same exact problem that I have!

#5 Colecago

Colecago
  • Members
  • 35 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

Well I did find that a different neighbor was on a nearby channel, though it was a really weak signal, I've changed Channels again and will update you how well it works.

#6 gizmoto

gizmoto
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HP TP
  • CM Version:
    Alpha 3.5
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostTwoWheelsOnly, on 14 December 2011 - 04:41 PM, said:

Do you have any other computers on your wifi network that suffer dropped network issues, but are better at getting back up and running? I too was having Wifi stability issues, which showed itself most predominantly on the somewhat fragile Wifi of the TP.  But it was noted on other devices on my network (desktops, iPod Touch, laptops, etc.).

I had tried the "babysit" method you referenced, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  Sometimes a reboot wouldn't even work.

At the recommendation of someone either here or on Rootzwiki, I loaded the "Wifi Manager" app from the Marketplace.  It shows a graphic of the channels being used around me and I noted some overlap with a network that had a relatively strong signal.  I changed my channels into an unused channel in the spectrum, and voila, my stability issues went away.

It has been running for almost a week without dropping the connection (unless I told it too, because I am the boss of the TP :D ).  This also created stability across my entire wifi network.

Just my thoughts.  I hope it helps.

--TWO
Wifi Manager was a great suggestion!  I realized my home wifi channel was overlapping 2 others.  Fixed the problem right away.

#7 HotLikeFriction

HotLikeFriction
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:05 AM

I've posted this elsewhere in the forum, because I think this solution will really help a lot of people:


I was not having the wifi troubles that two other touchpad owners I know were having.  I installed Android on both of their devices, but couldn't figure out what to do to fix it and it was making me insane.  Finally, we reset all our routers to a channel below 5 and found that they all connected to wifi well, HOWEVER, I found a better solution.  I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but this must be a setting I fiddled with on my TP, that the other two TP owners had not fiddled with.  

Go into Wifi Settings, then click the Menu button at the bottom left (the three bars)...  click Advanced then click Regulatory Domain.  In my touchpad, I had clicked on the 11 Channel option.  On the two touchpads that could not regularly connect to wifi, neither had a selection made whatsoever under "Regulatory Domain."  After clicking "11 Channels," all three touchpads can connect to wifi with no issues AT ALL, no matter the channel.

I almost can't believe this hasn't been posted in other forums yet, because it seems to be the key and much easier than setting every router you want to connect to, to a different channel.

Please let me know if this works.

#8 Richie2017

Richie2017
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:rwtehan
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

View PostHotLikeFriction, on 24 January 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

I've posted this elsewhere in the forum, because I think this solution will really help a lot of people:


I was not having the wifi troubles that two other touchpad owners I know were having.  I installed Android on both of their devices, but couldn't figure out what to do to fix it and it was making me insane.  Finally, we reset all our routers to a channel below 5 and found that they all connected to wifi well, HOWEVER, I found a better solution.  I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but this must be a setting I fiddled with on my TP, that the other two TP owners had not fiddled with.  

Go into Wifi Settings, then click the Menu button at the bottom left (the three bars)...  click Advanced then click Regulatory Domain.  In my touchpad, I had clicked on the 11 Channel option.  On the two touchpads that could not regularly connect to wifi, neither had a selection made whatsoever under "Regulatory Domain."  After clicking "11 Channels," all three touchpads can connect to wifi with no issues AT ALL, no matter the channel.

I almost can't believe this hasn't been posted in other forums yet, because it seems to be the key and much easier than setting every router you want to connect to, to a different channel.

Please let me know if this works.

Are you running CM7 or CM9? I'm running CM9 and don't seem to have that Regulatory Domain option you mentioned. Under Advanced Settings in Wifi I only have: Network Notification, Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep, Mac Address, and IP Address.

Edited by Richie2017, 24 January 2012 - 07:16 PM.


#9 imanalien

imanalien
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Device Model:
    hp touchpad
  • CM Version:
    xron tweak
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Wifi fixer.  From the market...try it.its free and works. It connects automatically. Since install I haven't had 1 problem.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

#10 HotLikeFriction

HotLikeFriction
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

I'm using CM7.  I'm waiting for more kinks to be worked out of CM9 before I make the move.

#11 Joker0370

Joker0370
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Has anyone noticed what kinds of networks that they have been having problems with?  I got the touchpad for christmas, found CM7, and updated it to android right away.  Never had a problem connecting to my home network, but when i went to my in-laws, problems.  I looked at the networks, and the only thing i could find that was different was that my in-laws were using FiOS with the Wifi modem which uses a default WEP encryption.  My home network was running through my wireless router, set up with WPA.  I connected to my inlaws once, but after that it would freeze trying to make a connection.  Wifi Fixer, nothing, would make it connect.  I went into the router, changed the encryption to WPA, and it finds it every time and connects just as quick as at home.  I'm no expert, but i think there is a problem with WEP networks.  Anyone else notice this problem?

#12 timbrrwolf

timbrrwolf
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 7.1 Tenderloin Alpha 3.5
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostHotLikeFriction, on 24 January 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

I've posted this elsewhere in the forum, because I think this solution will really help a lot of people:


I was not having the wifi troubles that two other touchpad owners I know were having.  I installed Android on both of their devices, but couldn't figure out what to do to fix it and it was making me insane.  Finally, we reset all our routers to a channel below 5 and found that they all connected to wifi well, HOWEVER, I found a better solution.  I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but this must be a setting I fiddled with on my TP, that the other two TP owners had not fiddled with.  

Go into Wifi Settings, then click the Menu button at the bottom left (the three bars)...  click Advanced then click Regulatory Domain.  In my touchpad, I had clicked on the 11 Channel option.  On the two touchpads that could not regularly connect to wifi, neither had a selection made whatsoever under "Regulatory Domain."  After clicking "11 Channels," all three touchpads can connect to wifi with no issues AT ALL, no matter the channel.

I almost can't believe this hasn't been posted in other forums yet, because it seems to be the key and much easier than setting every router you want to connect to, to a different channel.

Please let me know if this works.
Nice easy fix, this worked for me.  I had the exact problem described, loop of scanning/connecting/disconnected after my first standby and reboot.  I just installed this yesterday, then left my touchpad charge overnight.  Running CyanogenMod-7.1.0-tenderloin-alpha3.5.

#13 Drums4me

Drums4me
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CY7 3.5
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

View PostHotLikeFriction, on 24 January 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

I've posted this elsewhere in the forum, because I think this solution will really help a lot of people:


I was not having the wifi troubles that two other touchpad owners I know were having.  I installed Android on both of their devices, but couldn't figure out what to do to fix it and it was making me insane.  Finally, we reset all our routers to a channel below 5 and found that they all connected to wifi well, HOWEVER, I found a better solution.  I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but this must be a setting I fiddled with on my TP, that the other two TP owners had not fiddled with.  

Go into Wifi Settings, then click the Menu button at the bottom left (the three bars)...  click Advanced then click Regulatory Domain.  In my touchpad, I had clicked on the 11 Channel option.  On the two touchpads that could not regularly connect to wifi, neither had a selection made whatsoever under "Regulatory Domain."  After clicking "11 Channels," all three touchpads can connect to wifi with no issues AT ALL, no matter the channel.

I almost can't believe this hasn't been posted in other forums yet, because it seems to be the key and much easier than setting every router you want to connect to, to a different channel.

I forgot to mention I am on CM7 3.5 and that doesn't seem to help either....

Please let me know if this works.

I actually found the setting syou refer to on the Adroid side of TP.  Now, I was able to change it to channel 11, but that doesn't seem to help at all. now it's actually worse I tried Channel 14 - I think that is public access in NY... :) so now what?

Edited by Drums4me, 22 February 2012 - 02:46 AM.


#14 Drums4me

Drums4me
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CY7 3.5
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

View PostDrums4me, on 22 February 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

I actually found the setting syou refer to on the Adroid side of TP.  Now, I was able to change it to channel 11, but that doesn't seem to help at all. now it's actually worse I tried Channel 14 - I think that is public access in NY... :) so now what?
Hold the Boat, stop the plane, Unpack the Mule.. I think HotLikeFriction =HLF is on to something here.  It worked.  I uninstalled that funky program WIFIFixer, just kept the channel selection (Yep, mine was set to any channel) and then make it aligned with my Router, and now I have Crazy connection I also did a little tweaking and treated myself to some better MBPS over the significant others connection on a MacPro 9GS. <laptop excluse for snotty folks>/

Thanks HLF.. Your tweak worked!

#15 tekrhino

tekrhino
  • Members
  • 240 posts
  • Twitter:tekrhino
  • Country:
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus One, G2x, HPTP 32GB
  • CM Version:
    CM 7101S, CM 7.2 RC1, CM9 A2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

I'm running Alpha 2 and the regulatory domain option is not there.

=o(

#16 deadringer

deadringer
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Device Model:
    iPhone 4
  • CM Version:
    7.1
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

View PostJoker0370, on 25 January 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

Has anyone noticed what kinds of networks that they have been having problems with?  I got the touchpad for christmas, found CM7, and updated it to android right away.  Never had a problem connecting to my home network, but when i went to my in-laws, problems.  I looked at the networks, and the only thing i could find that was different was that my in-laws were using FiOS with the Wifi modem which uses a default WEP encryption.  My home network was running through my wireless router, set up with WPA.  I connected to my inlaws once, but after that it would freeze trying to make a connection.  Wifi Fixer, nothing, would make it connect.  I went into the router, changed the encryption to WPA, and it finds it every time and connects just as quick as at home.  I'm no expert, but i think there is a problem with WEP networks.  Anyone else notice this problem?

Completely odd because I was going to post that I was on a WPA network having loads of issues and after changing it to WEP everything cleared up. Could it still have something to do with a change of network settings. Yes I believe that is possible.

Edited by deadringer, 23 February 2012 - 10:22 PM.


#17 mliegey

mliegey
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM9 a2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:03 AM

Its not the channel setting within android... that would apply for a very small percentage of users, most likely outside the USA.  What has worked lie a charm for me was to ensure there weren't overlapping signals on the same channel.  

Example:

My router is broadcasting my wifi on channel 6 and there is another wifi nearby on the same channel.  This causes my touch pad to have connection issues.   My fix used to be walk to a diff part of my house closer to the router and try again, usually to my success.  The router is in the basement explaining why it worked down there - the other overlapping network couldn't reach down there.

So I changed my routers broadcast channel to an empty channel. I used the tool that was mentioned above - wifi manager - to figure out some nice white space and lo and behold 3 reboots and insta-connect each time. A bunch of on/off shuffles and insta-connects. Seems to be an overlapping channel issue.

Would suck to live in a city I in apts with this issue however!