Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

ICS for EVO ?? Idea when available?

ics ice cream sandwich htc evo

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 tmeisenh

tmeisenh
  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Twitter:tmeisenh
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO 4G
  • CM Version:
    CM 7-stable
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

I wonder if the question we should ask is "IF the evo will get ics..."

From the CM blog I wonder if this is even possible.  I'm pretty sure HTC has said the EVO 4G won't get it so I wonder if it's possible.  CM 7.* has had a few issues with drivers already (gps mostly) ....

... Android 4.0 contains many internal changes that require updated graphics drivers. Unfortunately, these drivers are almost always closed-source and don’t appear until a device or devkit is released with them. For many devices, our hands are tied...

#22 KoiDragon

KoiDragon
  • Members
  • 42 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo 4g
  • CM Version:
    Mod: CyanogenMod-7.1.0-Supersonic / Kernel: Tiamat v4.1.0
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

View Posttmeisenh, on 22 February 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

From the CM blog I wonder if this is even possible.  I'm pretty sure HTC has said the EVO 4G won't get it so I wonder if it's possible.  CM 7.* has had a few issues with drivers already (gps mostly) ....

... Android 4.0 contains many internal changes that require updated graphics drivers. Unfortunately, these drivers are almost always closed-source and don’t appear until a device or devkit is released with them. For many devices, our hands are tied...

anything is possible.  it's more of a question of whether or not our older phones are worth a devs time to find a way to make it work.  i do believe that the evo 4g is on the devs list for CM9 updates, but it's towards the back of the line, so we'll be one of the last few users to get it.  i think the stock CM7 drivers aren't kept completely up to date, so that's why we need to also rely on others here to create/find updates for us... it's a natural part of being open-sourced.  we are given a tree with good roots, but it's up to us to keep the leaves green.

there are other ICS ROMs out there right now for the evos.  they too are working on getting all of the functionalities operational, but if others can find a way to do it, then so can the CM team.

#23 derangedlunatec

derangedlunatec
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Evo
  • CM Version:
    7.1 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Allow me to be the voice of reason, and to do something crazy - to make a reasonable response and request:

First off, to all those working on CyanogenMod - thank you.  You have the best Mod I've seen, and your efforts in supporting the community are incredible.  I fully understand that you have to prioritize your efforts, and that while I'm sure you're not at all interested in rushing anything to release, you are just as disinterested in unnecessarily delaying release either.  I can totally respect an ETA of "When it gets there."

With that said, as I'm sure you know, everyone gets excited about the prospects of a new release.  We would like a few crumbs here and there.  SO here is my thought:  How about a simple project status page?  You could list the various phone/tablet models that are currently supported and/or are being looked at for future support.  Then, for each, show a status for next release.  You could have such statuses as:
  • Released
  • Beta Release
  • Alpha Release
  • In progress (with maybe a rough %)
  • Planned
  • Not Planned

Now of course, any of these things could change - and I think most users understand that (there will always be those loud few that won't) - but at least this gives us something.

Thanks,

#24 Lexi Anevay

Lexi Anevay
  • Members
  • 26 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO 4G (PC36100)
  • CM Version:
    Cyanogenmod 7.1 or Evervolv 2 P9
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

View Postderangedlunatec, on 23 February 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

How about a simple project status page?  You could list the various phone/tablet models that are currently supported and/or are being looked at for future support.  Then, for each, show a status for next release.  You could have such statuses as:
  • Released
  • Beta Release
  • Alpha Release
  • In progress (with maybe a rough %)
  • Planned
  • Not Planned
I suggested that a few posts ago in not so many words.  One important aspect is that the list's default order should be by development priority so we can tell how close to or far from our device they're getting.

#25 Lexi Anevay

Lexi Anevay
  • Members
  • 26 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO 4G (PC36100)
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

View Posttmeisenh, on 22 February 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

Don't try to tell me there's no graphics support for ICS on EVO 4G.
Posted ImagePosted Image

James Baldwin said:

Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.

Edited by Lexi Anevay, 25 February 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#26 esfan_adam

esfan_adam
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO 4G
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

So are we going to get ICS or not. Why are there no more nightlies for the EVO 4G?

#27 esfan_adam

esfan_adam
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO 4G
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Amon_RA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

Also, is there another mod that is full functional with ICS and EVO 4G?

#28 Lexi Anevay

Lexi Anevay
  • Members
  • 26 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO 4G (PC36100)
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

If you'd look around, you might notice that most or all devices haven't had nightlies for months.  The devs are busy with CM9 and aren't going to release nightlies of something that barely boots.  They have been saying that they plan to support all CM7 devices that they possibly can.  Since Evervolv has already demonstrated that it's possible, I'm confident that CM9 will come to us.  EVO is said to be low priority because it's older but Evervolv is doing the hard part for them, so it should be about as easy as making a few minor tweaks to their drivers and dropping them into the existing CM9 tree.  Granted, that's an oversimplification, but the point is that it will be easy.once they get to it.  Feel free to ask the Evervolv devs to help test their ICS ROM, but you're not going to get fully functional from anyone this early.

#29 Lexi Anevay

Lexi Anevay
  • Members
  • 26 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO 4G (PC36100)
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

I've been asked to not reveal details, but I have some leaked information from developers of other projects to bring more hope.  Yesterday, a CM9 ROM was built by a developer not affiliated with CyanogenMod.  This ROM has not been released into the wild, probably because the graphics drivers are not up to par.  There are still problems with a few popular apps that make it unappealing.  CM9's mods are also very incomplete and there are many temporary placeholders in the settings menu where they plan to add features.  It is, however, impressive considering how quickly it was done.  It also has some features that no previous ROM for EVO 4G has ever seen because it's ICS, so I assure you it will be worth the wait.  If and when this frankenrom is made public, I'll post it here to quench your Ice Cream Sandwich cravings.

Meanwhile, please remember how much pressure the CM9 developers are under.  They have 56 devices for which previous versions are available, and all of them have impatient users wanting their ICS immediately.  Even HTC isn't giving us a stock ICS OTA update, so be grateful that anyone is trying at all, especially for free.

#30 St Holyshi

St Holyshi
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 7
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod latest nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, yeah... No ETAs...

But now, it's April 5th, 2012, almost five months since the ICS code was released, and this question is still as wide open as it's ever been.

Most every user of CyanogenMod is, like me, extremely grateful to the developers of this work, "Android as it should be" (before the corporate carriers bloated it, and locked it up), and we're not complaining. In fact, many of us are donors.

But anticipation has it's limits. And anticipation left to wither on the vine is quite sour.

As an EVO user, I can attest: in the many months since ICS was released, all we've heard is that EVO 4G has reached it's End of Life, and will no longer be updated by mainstream software producers and carriers, regardless of how much time is left on one's contract until an upgrade.
On the Cyanogen side, we've only heard "EVO 4G: probably not, but we'll see. Maybe."

ANY info beyond a couple of nondescript half-hints, scattered over months; perhaps a definite yes, (or a definite no), either way, would be greatly appreciated.

#31 Lexi Anevay

Lexi Anevay
  • Members
  • 26 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO 4G (PC36100)
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

I along with others have been poking CM9 with sticks.  If I weren't facing so many medical problems, I might have an unofficial port ready by now.  As I said before, be grateful that anybody  is trying at all

#32 Ripley22

Ripley22
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Htc
  • CM Version:
    Evo 4g
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostJimmyBoomBots, on 27 January 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

Please indulge me: what do you think no ETAs means?
And no I don't work here,  I'm just the guy that understands the first rule.  You must be the other guy... >_>

lmao

#33 St Holyshi

St Holyshi
  • Members
  • 19 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 7
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod latest nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:50 AM

May 17th, 2012...
Six months since release.
I've been sitting here another month, just "being grateful", and I guess it didn't work.
I'm sorry... Y'all were saying?

Edited by St Holyshi, 18 May 2012 - 02:52 AM.

#34 Hideaki

Hideaki
  • Members
  • 31 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HTC EVO 4G
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

CM9 for the EVO is progressing through unofficial channels. There are several issues prevent it from being officially supported at this time, but the dev is doing his best to get it to that point.

I would link to the thread, but apparently I need 50 posts on these forums to do so. It's under EVO 4G Development over in XDA.