Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

GO Launcher is faster than ADW. Why?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 RejZoR

RejZoR
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

How come GO Launcher EX is so much faster than default Cyanogen ADW launcher? Scrolling feels almost like i'm using a 1GHz HW accelerated phone and not a 690MHz Wilfire. App drawer is also significantly smoother even with 4x5 grid.
The effects, even the most complex ones are rendered full speed without any lagging. I don't get it.
I thought ADW was ok but man, i'm now enlighted by the GO Launcher EX speed. Can't ADW be made just as fast? Or the other question, why isn't it this fast?

#2 heavy_metal_man

heavy_metal_man
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

i dont know lol but when i first came to cyanogenmod my adw launcher lagged like hell and forced closed quite alot, so i went in search of a decent alternitive. found go launcher ex and the rest is history :D

#3 naebeth

naebeth
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

I've been noticing some lag with ADW despite having overclocked my phone slightly, I shall have to investigate this Go Launcher EX...

#4 RejZoR

RejZoR
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

Actually every single launcher that isn't the ADW that comes with CM7.1 is faster. I also tried Launcher7 and LauncherPro and they were both smooth as silk. Just not ADW. Weird. I'm no on GO Laucnher because i can also have fancy ICS looking lockscreen and cool icon notifications. And still be so much faster.

#5 S.M.O.G.

S.M.O.G.
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

I've also noticed that ADW is very laggy.
GoLauncherPro (the only one that I've tried to put in place of ADW) is working perfectly here!

#6 sambalbij

sambalbij
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

this wasn't a problem on cm 7.03 I recall. maybe it is 7.1 x related?

#7 J.Mangi

J.Mangi
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

I know this is an old post but I thought I'd mention that after using GO Launcher EX and LauncherPro (both free versions) I decided to go for Zeam Launcher. It has much less features than any other launcher and not a single built in widget but it is seriously fast and it's under 1MB in size so it's easy on the memory.

FYI: I over clock my Wildfire with INTERACTIVE governor available from CM settings>Performance at min: 176MHz - max: 595 MHz; I also disable surface dithering (image quality seems the same). I have yet to understand what the other performance settings do but this combination is quite satisfactory.

BTW, with these settings, the battery lasts about 4 days sometimes 5 if I don't use it much.
Currently running CM 7.0.3

#8 S.M.O.G.

S.M.O.G.
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostJ.Mangi, on 05 May 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

BTW, with these settings, the battery lasts about 4 days sometimes 5 if I don't use it much.

:blink: no way! How are you able to have it last that long?

#9 J.Mangi

J.Mangi
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostS.M.O.G., on 05 May 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

:blink: no way! How are you able to have it last that long?

To be fair I only use 2G so no battery consuming 3G; also, I don't use it for gaming or for navigation (so no GPS); I do use wifi regularly during the day but not more that an hour, sometimes less than half an hour a day. I don't use a task killer or any battery enhancing applications.

One other thing is that I take very good care of my battery. I allow the battery to drop to 10-15% and I never leave it charging more than necessary i.e. I don't charge it for about 7hrs over night (a friend actually ruined his battery this way).

These issues are more for older batteries since new ones have intelligent mechanisms that help to avoid complications (I know for a fact that laptop batteries have a CPU built-in to ensure that all cells are used equally and no one cell is overused) but it is always wiser to protect your battery rather then mistreating it. My battery is almost two years old and it's still the original one from the box.

#10 RejZoR

RejZoR
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

I'm now using Launcher7 which is superb. Super simplistic yet powerful. And it looks quite authentic Windows Phone look a like.