Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Signal jumps from 3G to H to 3G every 30 seconds.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Castor Troy

Castor Troy
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

My data signal indicator switches from 3G to H to 3G about every 15-30 seconds.  I have noticed slower speeds (at times) when trying to browse the web since flashing CM7.1 and the newest radio (12.62.60.27U_26.13.04.1_M) I'm wondering a few things...

1.  Does this hurt battery life?
2.  Could this cause my data performance to be slower.

Thank you.

#2 kgforce

kgforce
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

My G2 is doing the same thing. I've tried 7.1 and 7.2 RC. I also flashed to the newest (Oct 11) radio (.19), and did the matching lib-ril .so files http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1335127

Nothing seems to help the issue. My phone is actually toggling between 3G & H every five seconds or so.

Anyone have a suggestion or help?

#3 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

3G means you are in a area that has 3G service, but if that service area (and your phone) also support the newer and faster HSPA, whenever your phone transmits data it will switch to the 'H'. H is kinda like 3.5G, but it will only show as data is being transferred, and if the connection is idle, it will show 3G.

#4 kgforce

kgforce
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

bassmadrigal, on 08 May 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

3G means you are in a area that has 3G service, but if that service area (and your phone) also support the newer and faster HSPA, whenever your phone transmits data it will switch to the 'H'. H is kinda like 3.5G, but it will only show as data is being transferred, and if the connection is idle, it will show 3G.

Aha! So there's nothing wrong, it's just annoying! Thanks for letting me know as I was concerned something wasn't working properly.

#5 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:40 AM

Nope, nothing is wrong. I actually found out about this with an old sony slider phone (before my android days). When I was in certain places in town, my phone would always show an 'H' (their OS only showed an H when you were in an HSPA area), but when I was in Frankfurt, it would show 3G, I always wondered why I didn't get 3G in my town until I researched it all online. Then I realized that my town had better cell towers than Frankfurt :)

Stock Android will only show the 3G symbol, but CM has enabled it to show H when you are transferring data on a HSPA network.