Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Sensation or Sensation XE?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EvilBlueSmartie

EvilBlueSmartie
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Wildfire
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

Hi,

I recently installed CM7 on my old Wildfire and I have been very impressed, it was like I had a new phone. Anyway, my contract will be up for renewal before too long which means I get an upgrade. Bear in mind I am new to custom ROMs and I haven't been keeping particularly up to date with handsets or their hardware either.

I've decided to go for a HTC Sensation, but I don't know if I should go for the standard Sensation or the Sensation XE. I am planning to flash CM onto the phone, either straight away, or I may wait for for CM9 so I can stick ICS straight onto it. I am worried that the Sensation ROM may not be fully compatible with the XE, so if someone can advise me here that would be great.

From what I understand, Beats Audio (which doesn't interest me much anyway) is a software thing so CM will get rid of that anyway, so really my only consideration is the CPU and battery 'improvements'. Is that extra .3 GHz going to mean much in 18 months time?

From what I have read, the hardware in both handsets is identical, but the regular Sensation has it's CPU underclocked to 1.2 GHz. I have also read somewhere on here that CM will reset this back up to 1.5 GHz, so if someone can confirm that for me it would be great. If this is the case, is it worth going for the XE for the better battery, as I don't know if running 1.5GHz on the Sensation will tax the battery too much, or if the larger battery even increases the battery life much.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge that will help me make this decision it would be brilliant if you could share it here. It would be nice to confirm some of the things I've been reading about the handsets' respective hardware, as well to help me make the final decision.

Thanks,

Rob.

#2 itjc

itjc
  • Members
  • 47 posts
    bm - Bermuda
  • Device Model:
    HTC Sensation
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod 9-20120904-NIGHTLY-pyramid
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

One consideration that has always assisted me in making these kinds of decisions is "value for dollar".
You can calculate how much that extra battery is worth, and remove it from the decision making process:

1. How much does the higher capacity battery cost on it's own? ie. from Amazon
2. What is the price difference between the Sensation and the Sensation XE?
3. Does this price difference justify the extra cost? Ie. you might still be better off, get more value for dollar, by purchasing the Sensation AND an extra higher capacity battery, you might not be. It depends the total cost for getting the product into your hands.

As far as I can tell, and consistent with what I have read, the rest of the hardware is nearly identical. There was one post a few months ago showing the differences of the internal antennae though, but I can't remember who posted it. Also, I can't say with certainty, but I think it favored the Sensation. Maybe somebody else can confirm/refute.