Jump to content

Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse
 

? Pros and Cons of using version 7.1


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Shazam

Shazam
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:50 AM

I am seriously considering going with cyanogenmod 7.1: http://download.cyan...vate-signed.zip which is see is available from the main page on this forum. I have no intention of moding my phone ever again after this mod.

A collegue of mine has the exact same phone i896 on Rogers with latest 2.3.3 stock Gingerbread. He had a friend of his do an update to 7.1. He says he is NOW happy as can be, but he admits he is not a hardcore user of his device like I am.  He doesnt know the technical aspects of cyanogenmod but for him it works. He doesnt know if I should actually switch since I am rather picky and I want everything to work.

As my Captivate's warranty is ending next month, I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge. I see on the wiki page that you don't need to have your device rooted unless you are using the ROM Manager, whatever that is.  In fact, it gives no instructions on how to root your device either, as

Quote

Attaining root access is outside the scope of this wiki page


1. Are there any issues and if so, what are with intalling 7.1?
2. Any issues or precautions that are not obvious that should be followed?
3. Is this the latest version for the i896 series?

4.Finally, is the below method the safest and least complicated too using Windows 7?
5. Sorry for all the noob questions.
Thanks

Quote

Download Hardcore's SpeedMod kernel with ClockworkMod Recovery, the Heimdall Suite:

    • Hardcore's SpeedMod Kernel with ClockworkMod Recovery: download md5: cd5481375749ae0f1d53407d37698302

    • Windows: NOTE: The Heimdall Suite requires the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package installed on the computer, which can be downloaded here.
NOTE: The source code for the Heimdall Suite is available on Github.
  • Windows ONLY:
    • Power off the Samsung Captivate and connect the microUSB to the computer but not the Samsung Captivate.

    • Boot the Samsung Captivate into download mode by holding down Volume Up & Volume Down while connecting the microUSB to it.

    • Run the included zadig.exe in the drivers folder of the Heimdall Suite.

    • From the menu, choose Options ยป List All Devices.

    • From the drop down, select Samsung USB Composite Device or Gadget Serial.

    • Click Install Driver. NOTE: A prompt may appear warning that the installer is unable to verify the publisher of the driver. Ignore it and select "Install this driver anyway."

    • Heimdall can now be used safely on the Windows computer. NOTE: For more information about the Heimdall Suite, please read the included README.txt.
  • Launch the Heimdall Frontend.
  • Unzip Hardcore's SpeedMod Kernel.
  • Select the extracted zImage in the Kernel (zImage) section.
  • Power off the Samsung Captivate and connect the microUSB to the computer but not the Samsung Captivate.
  • Boot the Samsung Captivate into download mode by holding down Volume Up & Volume Down while connecting the microUSB to it.
  • Click Start on the Heimdall Frontend. A blue transfer bar will appear on the phone showing the kernel being transferred. The device will reboot automatically.
  • The Samsung Captivate now has ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Continue to the next section.
    Flashing CyanogenMod

    Method via Recovery
  • Download the latest version of CyanogenMod. Optional: Download the Google Apps for the device.

  • Place the CyanogenMod update.zip file on the root of the internal memory. Optional: Place the Google Apps .zip on the root of the internal memory also.

  • Boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.

  • Once the device boots into the ClockworkMod Recovery, use the side volume buttons to move around, and either the power button or the trackball to select.

  • Select the option to Wipe data/factory reset.

  • Then select the option to Wipe cache partition.

  • Select Install zip from sdcard.

  • Select Choose zip from sdcard.

  • Select the CyanogenMod update.zip. Optional: Install the Google Apps by performing steps 7 - 9 again and choosing the Google Apps update.zip.

  • Once the installation has finished, select +++++Go Back+++++ to get back to the main menu, and select the Reboot system now option. The Samsung Captivate should now boot into CyanogenMod.


#2 Fish Tickler

Fish Tickler
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:36 AM

I watched the following video to install CM7 on my SGH-I897.

Samsung Captivate/Vibrant (How To Install CyanogenMOD 7) *LATEST METHOD*
by MobileTechVideos

That video also links additional videos that will help with Clockwork Recovery, reverting back to stock, etc.  

I also checked this forum and XDA forum for any and all of my questions/concerns.  I hope this helps you as much as it helped me.

P.S. If we are not supposed to link youtube videos then I apologize.

Edited by Fish Tickler, 29 February 2012 - 04:37 AM.


#3 Shazam

Shazam
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

thanks for the link to the youtube video. the video has different instructions than what's posted here. it also talks about 7.0 not 7.1 which was released in October.

i took a peak at the XDA forum. As I started reading a few posts,I stopped. I left disgusted. The "help" there seem to have some serious attitude problems where they put down people who make posts bcuz they havent spent months (like they have) or lack a similar technical background. IMO, that's not what a help forum is about.  In most forums, if you insult another forum member for any reason, you get banned.  

I was thinking the other day. I dont know why google just can't offer these ROMS on their website with disclaimers. they can charge a small fee to  people. They can hire people like from here or wherever to create these ROMS. Of course, you lose your manufacturer warranty.  Everything including from downloading software and drivers or links to OEM sites can be done through them. Google can creat and control the process. They claim Android is open source but don't offer this which is odd to me.

I'd like to know any drawbacks or any known issues of installing 7.1 before making the effort and taking the plunge.

Edited by Shazam, 29 February 2012 - 11:11 PM.


#4 korockinout13

korockinout13
  • Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostShazam, on 29 February 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

thanks for the link to the youtube video. the video has different instructions than what's posted here. it also talks about 7.0 not 7.1 which was released in October.

i took a peak at the XDA forum. As I started reading a few posts,I stopped. I left disgusted. The "help" there seem to have some serious attitude problems where they put down people who make posts bcuz they havent spent months (like they have) or lack a similar technical background. IMO, that's not what a help forum is about.  In most forums, if you insult another forum member for any reason, you get banned.  

I was thinking the other day. I dont know why google just can't offer these ROMS on their website with disclaimers. they can charge a small fee to  people. They can hire people like from here or wherever to create these ROMS. Of course, you lose your manufacturer warranty.  Everything including from downloading software and drivers or links to OEM sites can be done through them. Google can creat and control the process. They claim Android is open source but don't offer this which is odd to me.

I'd like to know any drawbacks or any known issues of installing 7.1 before making the effort and taking the plunge.

I can't really think of any drawbacks that would be enough to turn somebody away. You can always change it if you don't like it; that's the power of android

#5 Fish Tickler

Fish Tickler
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostShazam, on 29 February 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

thanks for the link to the youtube video. the video has different instructions than what's posted here. it also talks about 7.0 not 7.1 which was released in October.

i took a peak at the XDA forum. As I started reading a few posts,I stopped. I left disgusted. The "help" there seem to have some serious attitude problems where they put down people who make posts bcuz they havent spent months (like they have) or lack a similar technical background. IMO, that's not what a help forum is about.  In most forums, if you insult another forum member for any reason, you get banned.  

I was thinking the other day. I dont know why google just can't offer these ROMS on their website with disclaimers. they can charge a small fee to  people. They can hire people like from here or wherever to create these ROMS. Of course, you lose your manufacturer warranty.  Everything including from downloading software and drivers or links to OEM sites can be done through them. Google can creat and control the process. They claim Android is open source but don't offer this which is odd to me.

I'd like to know any drawbacks or any known issues of installing 7.1 before making the effort and taking the plunge.

Any known issues?  Well, it really depends on how well you follow instructions during the install, if your phone has any defects, which CM you use (CM7 Stable, CM7 Nightly, CM9), which kernel you decide to use.  I have a few small issues but the pros dramatically outweigh the cons in my opinion.  But that's the great thing about using CM7 you can make your phone a reflection of yourself and if you don't like it . . . just revert back to stock.  That video I posted also has links on how to revert back to stock.

If you dig deep enough in any forum you will find issues/bugs/quirks in any program.  Just about every problem I have had within CM7 & my phone (except one) I have been able to resolve myself.  If you have a problem, post it on here.

#6 Shazam

Shazam
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Cool. I think I feel more comfortable following the instructions in what I quoted vs the youtube video.  Will both yield the same result?

There's another post I just came across which freaks me out: http://forum.cyanoge...l-update-guide/ where the user was installing ClockworkMod Recovery and bricked his phone. Why would something like that happen?

BTW, what was the problem that you could NOT resolve?

Finally, what app do I use to backup my OEM rom?

Edited by Shazam, 03 March 2012 - 12:11 AM.


#7 Fish Tickler

Fish Tickler
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:33 AM

Same result?  Pretty much.  I have just heard people having various problems using Heimdall.  Plus I'm not sure how reliable the hardcore's speed kernel is.  I personally have never used it.  You can find those posts on XDA or just do a google search.

Bricking your phone is always going to be a risk when flashing ROMs, installing kernels or any other mods.  Just depends if you think the pros outweigh the cons.

My issue that I could resolve is shown here:  http://forum.cyanoge...t-occasionally/

Check here for your last question:  http://forum.xda-dev...Galaxy_S_Series  I didn't get to read it all because I am about to leave but it's the best I could find in 15 seconds.  Sorry and I hope this helps.

#8 Shazam

Shazam
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

Thanks  Fish Tickler, that's a pretty big issue for me.  I just got back my phone from Samsung (under warranty) for the speaker issue. If this is due to CM 7.1 that's definitely a deal breaker.

Looks like the more I read, the more questions I have.

Does the above process I mentioned (installing Heimdall Suite) root your phone? It appears that in order for ClockworkMod installed, you need to have your device rooted?

It seems that no matter which method I choose (the one in this formums WIKI page or youtube video link, the correct 2.3.3 kernal drivers must be used?

I took a look at the wiki page you posted, and no mention of how to backup your current ROM.  I'm guessing it's through NANDROID backup through ClockworkMod?

I took the plunge and posted a message on XDA and I was referred back to here since the gurus over there don't really use CM. they have a huge thread on NIGHTLY unstable builds which is not what I am looking for.

What I also found out, like you have already mentioned, some people have issues with Heimdall Suite.

I have 2.3.3 Gingerbread Rogers UNrooted.  I see no mention if Heimdall Suite has the correct drivers for this version.

Will the original youtube video you posted and the ODIN app correctly install the 2.3.3 driver for my UNrooted Rogers phone and then allow me to install CM?

Johnn Grant  in the other thread posted he had to go elsewhere to download the drivers but he was using Froyo I believe. My collegue at work also moved from Froyo directly to CM. He never updated to Gingerbread 2.3.3 which is the latest from Rogers in Canada.

There seems to be too many missing pieces in my situation for me to try to upgrade to CM 7.1.  I wish there were better instructions with updated info like drivers et al.  

Perhaps the lack of activity and support except yourself (thank you!)  in this forum seems to indicate that CM 7.1 is not the way to go?

Edited by Shazam, 03 March 2012 - 11:56 PM.


#9 Fish Tickler

Fish Tickler
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

Yeah, the issue with the speaker going in & out is a pretty random one.  I have had my phone rooted for about 10+ days and it has happened about 2-3 times (before rooting I have had my phone for over a year and it never happened).  Every time I have ANY kind of issue that I think is related to CM7 I usually post it on here (even if I find the resolution because it can only help others.)  

I also found this wiki page (http://forum.xda-dev...laxy_S/SGH-I897) that has some useful information about our phones (SGH-I897/896).  

Again, I never used the Heimdall Suite because I have heard bad/buggy things about it.  I just like the video I posted it (and its supporting links) because if you do mess it up it explains how you can revert it back to stock.  

ODIN 1 Click to restore Samsung Captivate to STOCK FIRMWARE
http://www.youtube.c...vid=iBPu-GqM9RE

3 Button Mod


I know modding your phone can feel like your walking on a tight rope because one slip and you might jack everything up.  The reason you see those kinds of posts is because we want you to be 100% completely aware that its POSSIBLE and that we take no responsibility for you messing it up.

I am not an admin nor a forum moderator but if you need help I will do my best to help you out.  I am pretty familiar with Samsung products and I am pretty good at researching stuff I'm not familiar with.

Again, it's your choice if you want to mod your phone with CM7 or with anything at all.  It can be risky but I did it and I am extremely glad I did.

#10 Shazam

Shazam
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:14 AM

Thanks bro.  I really really appreciate the effort you're putting in to help idiots like me. :lol:

The mobiletech videos are outdated it seems. They're at least 7 months old. Listening to the dude on the video is giving me a migraine. He sounds cocky. He definitely moves and talks too fast and doesn't outline or prep what needs to be done in advance like "this is what you need before you start". He doesn't follow up with written instructions or explain what ODIN is actually doing and how ie. partitioning the phone. I guess I expected clearer and more concise instructions. Using DOS in this day and age as well? Maybe mobiletech wants people to brick their phones so his company can unbrick them for a fee? Any how, enough of the ranting.

Fish Tickler, I  seen in another post of yours that you're downgraded your bios, I mean firmware to a lower version and then did the CM mod. Dang, that's at least several more steps now.

I am quite anal. I'll go crazy if I develop any new issues after the update. While I dont use my smartphone that much for talking, when I do I expect it to work. With my luck, it probably won't if this is a CM issue.

I'm not sure how I proceed. In a few months, in town we have a late spring/summer oriental night market. There's a few vendors there who do hacking of phones.  They do modding on all sorts of phone including iPhone.  I might just ask them to perform the mod, if they recommend it.  If they've encountered any issues, they'll let me know. They built a reputable business in modding and jailbreaking phones. If it's something they don't recommend they'll let me know. But most of the gurus on XDA don't recommend going the cyanogenmod route.

Maybe, by the summer, the Galaxy 3 will be have been out long enough for the price to drop below $100, with contract.  I might tuff it out until then and just scrap the idea of modding the Galaxy 1 and use it as a backup phone.  There's too many things that can go wrong and too many ways of upgrading,  incomplete or outdated info, as I see in trying to mod this phone.There's at least three different methods.  At least with an iPhone, the jailbreaking process is simple and clean. Cant say the same with Android.  And Android is open source. #smh. I'm now really frustrated and very disappointed.  I'll just tell myself this is just a bad dream, lol.

Edited by Shazam, 04 March 2012 - 07:27 AM.


#11 korockinout13

korockinout13
  • Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

View PostShazam, on 04 March 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Thanks bro.  I really really appreciate the effort you're putting in to help idiots like me. :lol:

The mobiletech videos are outdated it seems. They're at least 7 months old. Listening to the dude on the video is giving me a migraine. He sounds cocky. He definitely moves and talks too fast and doesn't outline or prep what needs to be done in advance like "this is what you need before you start". He doesn't follow up with written instructions or explain what ODIN is actually doing and how ie. partitioning the phone. I guess I expected clearer and more concise instructions. Using DOS in this day and age as well? Maybe mobiletech wants people to brick their phones so his company can unbrick them for a fee? Any how, enough of the ranting.

Fish Tickler, I  seen in another post of yours that you're downgraded your bios, I mean firmware to a lower version and then did the CM mod. Dang, that's at least several more steps now.

I am quite anal. I'll go crazy if I develop any new issues after the update. While I dont use my smartphone that much for talking, when I do I expect it to work. With my luck, it probably won't if this is a CM issue.

I'm not sure how I proceed. In a few months, in town we have a late spring/summer oriental night market. There's a few vendors there who do hacking of phones.  They do modding on all sorts of phone including iPhone.  I might just ask them to perform the mod, if they recommend it.  If they've encountered any issues, they'll let me know. They built a reputable business in modding and jailbreaking phones. If it's something they don't recommend they'll let me know. But most of the gurus on XDA don't recommend going the cyanogenmod route.

Maybe, by the summer, the Galaxy 3 will be have been out long enough for the price to drop below $100, with contract.  I might tuff it out until then and just scrap the idea of modding the Galaxy 1 and use it as a backup phone.  There's too many things that can go wrong and too many ways of upgrading,  incomplete or outdated info, as I see in trying to mod this phone.There's at least three different methods.  At least with an iPhone, the jailbreaking process is simple and clean. Cant say the same with Android.  And Android is open source. #smh. I'm now really frustrated and very disappointed.  I'll just tell myself this is just a bad dream, lol.

Seriously, who has told you not to go with CM7? There is much more help and advice on XDA since nobody really comes on the forums over here. To the OP, use the method that you copied from the Cyanogenmod wiki. I can't see any disadvantages in going this route. And also, the only thing that can actually brick your phone is a bootloader flash, which you don't need to be doing here. Everything else gives you some kind of fixable soft brick. If you need more help, let me know. I wrote up my own guide for this

#12 Fish Tickler

Fish Tickler
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

View PostShazam, on 04 March 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Thanks bro.  I really really appreciate the effort you're putting in to help idiots like me. :lol:

The mobiletech videos are outdated it seems. They're at least 7 months old. Listening to the dude on the video is giving me a migraine. He sounds cocky. He definitely moves and talks too fast and doesn't outline or prep what needs to be done in advance like "this is what you need before you start". He doesn't follow up with written instructions or explain what ODIN is actually doing and how ie. partitioning the phone. I guess I expected clearer and more concise instructions. Using DOS in this day and age as well? Maybe mobiletech wants people to brick their phones so his company can unbrick them for a fee? Any how, enough of the ranting.

Fish Tickler, I  seen in another post of yours that you're downgraded your bios, I mean firmware to a lower version and then did the CM mod. Dang, that's at least several more steps now.

I am quite anal. I'll go crazy if I develop any new issues after the update. While I dont use my smartphone that much for talking, when I do I expect it to work. With my luck, it probably won't if this is a CM issue.

I'm not sure how I proceed. In a few months, in town we have a late spring/summer oriental night market. There's a few vendors there who do hacking of phones.  They do modding on all sorts of phone including iPhone.  I might just ask them to perform the mod, if they recommend it.  If they've encountered any issues, they'll let me know. They built a reputable business in modding and jailbreaking phones. If it's something they don't recommend they'll let me know. But most of the gurus on XDA don't recommend going the cyanogenmod route.

Maybe, by the summer, the Galaxy 3 will be have been out long enough for the price to drop below $100, with contract.  I might tuff it out until then and just scrap the idea of modding the Galaxy 1 and use it as a backup phone.  There's too many things that can go wrong and too many ways of upgrading,  incomplete or outdated info, as I see in trying to mod this phone.There's at least three different methods.  At least with an iPhone, the jailbreaking process is simple and clean. Cant say the same with Android.  And Android is open source. #smh. I'm now really frustrated and very disappointed.  I'll just tell myself this is just a bad dream, lol.

I know it may seem like a lot to do but doing all of this literally took me 8 - 10 minutes to do all of this . . . maybe less.  I'm not here to try to talk you into anything so if you don't want to install CM7 or follow the videos I posted then you don't have to.  As far as the MobileTech guys are concerned I found them quite helpful and knowledgeable on how to simplify this entire process.  Also, I doubt they are trying to have you brick your phone so you can send it to them to fix.  That part seems a bit too paranoid.  That's like you saying I posted those links to have you brick your phone, so you can post your problems on here, so I can give relevant information to help you to have you click the like button on my posts to give me a high rating.

Well, I (we) are here to help you if you have any problems.  Just don't let anyone talk you into doing anything your not comfortable with.  If you don't want to root your phone or install CM7 then don't.

#13 Shazam

Shazam
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

I'm glad you were able to accomplish installing CM on your phone in about 10 minutes.  The colleague of mine who had his done by his friend asked him to do mine.  The response was somewhat surprising. He says It took the dude several hours...I think he said 3+ of searching and  finding the correct kernels,drivers, and many many failed attempts in installing CM 7.1. My colleague has the exact same phone with same carrier except never updated to GB.  His friend said he will never do that again after that experience. It was suggested that I stick with GB 2.3.3. What may be simple or obvious to some, may not be to others when doing such an upgrade. Almost always, there will be some vital info left out unless it comes from an official source. Even some of the big boys at XDA don't recommend CM. Perhaps someday the literature and documentation will improve to the point of it being straight forward and updated in how to install CM or even ICS for that matter.  For now, I have to bow my head in disappointment and walk away.  I'd rather have a device that is a sure-thing and works half-ass vs one that doesnt work.

BTW, I just read that Samsung is butchering ICS for the Samsung Galaxy III to the point of it not being much better than GB.  I think that's enough for me to abandon Samsung altogether unless it's a true Google phone.

Edited by Shazam, 26 March 2012 - 06:08 AM.


#14 Shazam

Shazam
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

Just an update. I went to the local famous"hacker/tinker" that unlocks and hacks all sorts of phones, especially iPhone. He and his wife have a booth set up every summer at the annual night market.  I asked him if he could install for me Cyanogenmod.  He told me he won't touch Android with a 10 foot pole.  I then went around to other booths and spoke to vendors who sell lots of smarphone products, cases et al for various phones as well as unlocking.  None of them knew anything about CyanogenMod. A few of them have heard of XDA forums and described people on the site as being quite radical and adventurous with a lot of reading and often no results.

In any event, looks like I'm stuck with the stock i896 firmware and Gingerbread 2.3.3 UXKH2-CL296008

#15 korockinout13

korockinout13
  • Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

View PostShazam, on 20 May 2012 - 05:25 AM, said:

Just an update. I went to the local famous"hacker/tinker" that unlocks and hacks all sorts of phones, especially iPhone. He and his wife have a booth set up every summer at the annual night market.  I asked him if he could install for me Cyanogenmod.  He told me he won't touch Android with a 10 foot pole.  I then went around to other booths and spoke to vendors who sell lots of smarphone products, cases et al for various phones as well as unlocking.  None of them knew anything about CyanogenMod. A few of them have heard of XDA forums and described people on the site as being quite radical and adventurous with a lot of reading and often no results.

In any event, looks like I'm stuck with the stock i896 firmware and Gingerbread 2.3.3 UXKH2-CL296008

Why are you stuck?