Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Overclocking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 subcool

subcool
  • Members
  • 12 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Epic 4g
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-7.01192012-NIGHTLY-Epic
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

Could someone please start a successful OverClocking thread?
I have viewed and read a bunch of random "supported" kernels.
I have Tried Samurai, and i liked it. Until it disabled my SD card.

#2 XxLostSoulxX

XxLostSoulxX
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Epic
  • CM Version:
    CM7
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

Really? C'Mon you should know better that CM doesn't support Custom kernels, and if you want kernels that OC and on CM9 go to XDA and Earthbound has one too over at his site which is http://indandroidprj.zxq.net/

#3 subcool

subcool
  • Members
  • 12 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung Epic 4g
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-7.01192012-NIGHTLY-Epic
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

I didnt know this, and before i stepped into nightly builds, i had a nice setup with OC, and a nice custom kernel.
I personally dont like the speed of my phone, and have noticed a significant difference with the 1200 cpu speed. I am not a Day and night modder, so- idk what earthbound is and whenever i search XDA, i get snippets of information where somehow EVERYEONE is supposed to know every inch of the smartphone world. For CM to be such a great rom and spoken so highly of- to NOT support custom roms, or atleast have some custom roms with ability to work with CM is a shame. Now i have to move on from CM :/ -
Im pretty ticked.

#4 Zeinzu

Zeinzu
  • Members
  • 129 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SPH-D700
  • CM Version:
    CyanogenMod-9.0.0-RC2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

View Postsubcool, on 11 June 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I didnt know this, and before i stepped into nightly builds, i had a nice setup with OC, and a nice custom kernel.
I personally dont like the speed of my phone, and have noticed a significant difference with the 1200 cpu speed. I am not a Day and night modder, so- idk what earthbound is and whenever i search XDA, i get snippets of information where somehow EVERYEONE is supposed to know every inch of the smartphone world. For CM to be such a great rom and spoken so highly of- to NOT support custom roms, or atleast have some custom roms with ability to work with CM is a shame. Now i have to move on from CM :/ -
Im pretty ticked.
CM doesn't support "issues" one may experience when using a custom kernel, meaning if you switch to Samurai don't go complaining to them about any bugs you experience, because they can not properly provide support unless you are running what "they" built. You can use a custom kernel if you want, that's your choice. Cm9 "is" a custom rom. The stock cm9 kernel supports OC to 1200mhz.

Sent from my SPH-D700 CM9 ANDROID 4.0.4

Edited by Zeinzu, 14 June 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#5 Ruedii

Ruedii
  • Members
  • 22 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Epic 4G
  • CM Version:
    7.2RC3
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

As said before.

The CM7.2 and CM9  kernels supports reasonable overclocking.  

You can try a different kernel, but a substitute kernel will be unsupported, and your advice for malfunctions will be "try with the stock kernel first"

Also, building your own kernel is not as hard as one would think.   Sure it's not as easy as back in the early days of Linux, but it isn't the hardest thing in the world either. So you have a good default setting set to work off.  It doesn't really require hard coding or anything, just selecting your build settings, making sure you have all the required features enabled, no features that would break it enabled.  Of course, unlike a desktop or server kernel, you have limited space for storing the result, so that the if unsure build module option isn't as viable for everything.