Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Combining Cyanogen with PDroid

PDroid flash conflict Cyanogen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 pjvleeuwen

pjvleeuwen
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Dear all, this is my first day on Cyanogen (first day on non-stock ROM), loving it, thanks devs! Now decorating my reborn toy. I had my eyes on PDroid, as I am concerned with the abundance of permissions some apps claim. Today I found out that Cyanogen already provides a mechanism for revoking permissions on an app out-of-the-box. Nice! What makes me still consider PDroid is that Cyanogen does not allow me to provide bogus info for the revoked permissions (e.g. random phone ID). This causes instability (which the dialogs correctly warn against). So now I need info to make choices:
  • Is it possible to flash the PDroid mod over Cyanogen, or does that conflict? I can imagine the PDroid mod to be written as delta on the stock ROMs... I could go try to figure this out, start a discussion with PDroid community or dev, but there is the obvious alternative:
  • Can / should / might / will Cyanogen provide a similar random-data feature for the revoked permissions (making PDroid obsolete) in the (near-ish) future?
Dear all, I'd love you hear your advise / ideas on this!
Cheers,
Paul

#2 ciwrl

ciwrl

Whose bright idea was it to put me in charge?

• Administrators
  • 1621 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

Can't answer the first part; haven't used or attempted to use PDroid.

I can answer the second part, regarding CM inclusion of such a function. And the answer is a resounding "no". Originally, the functionality for CM mirrored that of PDroid, including 'spoofing' the data calls. It was decided that our footprint in the Android ecosystem was too large to ship such functionality out of the box. A million active users of our own, plus the many derivatives that use our source, would essentially cause a million+ polluted data and statistics for app developers.

Not only was this deemed unacceptable, we received feedback from 'the powers that be' that should such functionality be issued directly, CM could very well be cutoff from all Android Market applications, which again, would ripple to most Custom ROMs.

So, we chose to neuter the functionality.

#3 pjvleeuwen

pjvleeuwen
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

Wow, that is food for thought. Especially the part of being pressured into removing such functionality...
Thanks for taking the time to explain the history on this, I will give it some thought.