Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Compiling GSM Hero Kernel - Expert assistance required!

Hero Kernel Help Compile

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SupaSpud

SupaSpud
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Device Model:
    HTC Desire, Hero, Legend
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi All

It's only after dozens of frustrating hours spread over many moons that i must admit defeat and realize that i'm not gonna get any further without some help from some seriously knowledgeable people. My stock of "Fresh Strategies" has finally run dry...

First, a brief background... I have two HTC Hero's (GSM) lying around which I need to get to talk via Serial comms to some electronics hardware i have. Now there is a Serial API available (google "htc hero serial api" its the first link) which requires some changes to be made to the kernel to get it to work.

The creator Cedric has kindly provided a detailed write-up on how to do this on this very page, however, I cant get this to work following his strategy. Possibly due to changing versions of of Cyanogenmod, Android NDK, Kernels, the change in tides, solar flares, weather patterns or i'm just really, really unlucky.

That being said, it does not totally not work. If that makes any sense. I can successfully compile the kernel. zImages are no problem. I've created zImages from the official HTC code, to some CM6 kernel i found and even the latest CM7 version i'm running... (2.6.29-flykernel?? ). Each time using the .config from my phone.

However the result is always the same. I Fastboot boot using zImage and the ramdisk i pulled from the device, get the HERO splash screen and then... nothing. It stays there untill the cows come home. And I dont even own any cows so thats a bit strange. When i extract the boot.img from the device and split out the zImage and ramdisk, I can fastboot using them and it works fine, so i know its not the fastboot process.

Now, the reason I need to compile a new Kernel is that i need to change a few settings in the .config file before I build. To reduce variables I'm not changing anything in that file until i can get an unmodified one working.

As far as I see the reasons for my failure so far could be due to:
  • Kernels incompatible with CM?
  • Compile parameters / settings are wrong?
  • Device is faulty (Unlikely since i'm using two. The standard brown one and a white pre-release version i have from my time at HTC)
  • My house is built on an ancient Indian burial ground.
I'm using Ubuntu 10 to do the builds.

The above is just a basic overview of what I've tried. But in reality I've tried a lot more. I've tried making a new boot.img and flashing that, the AnyKernel Method and a many many others. I'll spare the details for now.

I know i'm overlooking something small and i would really appreciate any assistance that can help me solve this so i can get serial comms to work and move on to the fun stuff. My gratitude would be immediate and donation-shaped.

Thanks, Greg.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hero, Kernel, Help, Compile