Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Cm7 vs Cm9

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hi

Apologies for starting a new topic, but I havn't seen any posts comparing cm7 vs cm9.

My GF is currently running CM7 Alpha3.5, and I just wonder if there are any improvements in terms of stability if she upgrades to the latest cm9.

The main problem we have with cm7 is sometimes the wifi won't connect to a wifi hotspot.  The wifi gets stuck in an endless connecting,disconnecting loop and the only way to connect to wifi at this point is to reboot the tablet.  This is only an occasional problem, I don't seem to encounter this problem much, but she frequently gets stuck with this problem.

Cheers
Kiwi

#2 dhlee528

dhlee528
  • Members
  • 223 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    G2 // Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM7.1.0 // CM9 Alpha 2
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:33 AM

if you have to use the camera for some reason stick with cm7 (camera and mic does not work in cm9, don't remember if mic worked in cm7)
if not go with cm9

cm7(gingerbread) is not meant for tablet..
I have cm9 alpha 2 on mine and it's so much better

personally, I don't have any wifi issue, but some people does

#3 Volta

Volta
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    CM9 Nightly
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

I switched from CM7a3 to CM9 nightly 2012-04-04 on Wednesday. I had a few problems with the upgrade process (probably a local issue) and ended up doing a full wipe & reinstall, but once that was sorted out everything was good.

As documented, the camera doesn't work. Everything else has been faster and more stable than in CM7.  In CM7 I regularly had to reset wifi to get a connection, to the point where I kept a wifi toggle widget on my home screen; I've yet to have a similar problem with CM9. I wish I'd upgraded sooner.

No question in my mind, go with CM9.

Edited by Volta, 06 April 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#4 Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

thanks- using ics now' and it is better. has anyone got swype working in landscape?

Mod Edit: Do not ask for Swype apks

Edited by ciwrl, 11 April 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#5 justmeeeee

justmeeeee
  • Members
  • 3 posts
    ca - Canada
  • Device Model:
    hp touchpad 32gb
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

Wait... did i miss something... Camera working in cm7 ???
I am using cm7 3.5 tenderloin and love it (have learned to work around most bugs)
The only 2 issues that I really wish I didn't have are the mic issue that makes voice commands impossible, and not being able to use the camera.
Now i'm reading that others can use the camera on touchpads running 7 and i have to find out whats up.
My camera will come on briefly & i see an image but I cant do anything because it crashes and forces close, then it isnt available at all until reboot.
I have tried several camera apps and it's always the same.  Camera does work in web os, so it's not my hardware.
I thought everyone had this prob & now i'm wondering if there is something i can do about it... ANY info u kind souls can give me would REALLY be appreciated
Thanks

Edited by justmeeeee, 06 May 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#6 phanidhar

phanidhar
  • Members
  • 1 posts
    in - India
  • Device Model:
    hp touchpad
  • CM Version:
    android 4.0.3
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

what's the point in using cm7 if the mic and camera aren't working.In my research i had gone through many forums and i understood that cm7 is not stable and there are many bugs which need to be fixed. But luckily they are being fixed in cm9 and i am very much satisfied running it in my touchpad. Just compromise with the mic and camera and you would surely enjoy that os as it is much faster and stable than cm7.So follow my advise and install cm9 alpha 2

#7 wizkid98

wizkid98
  • Members
  • 52 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP Touchpad
  • CM Version:
    Latest CM9 Nightly Build
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

find and download jcsullins's audiolibs and you will be able to use mic

#8 Nevertells

Nevertells
  • Members
  • 1130 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    HP TouchPad
  • CM Version:
    CM10 & CM10.1 & CM11
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

The latest nightlies of CM9 are great.  Mic, wifi, audio all work.  It's smooth, fast, stable.  Camera is the only thing not working and don't know that it ever will.  However, you have WebOS for camera, Skype etc.

One caveat, everyone's milage will vary.  There is always the ocassional person that has problems that no one can explain, so be sure to make a backup and you can always go back if you are not happy.

If you want to read more before going forward, try this thread:  http://rootzwiki.com...ild-discussion/