Welcome to CyanogenMod

Welcome to our forum. Like most online communities you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the CyanogenMod Forum by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Download files attached to the forum.
  • Customize your experience here
  • Share your CyanogenMod experience!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Difference between GalaxyS2 (SGH-I777) & AT&T GalaxyS2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BitZerOne

BitZerOne
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung GalaxyS2 (AT&T)
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

So before I go and get the latest nightly for CM9 have an odd question, what is the difference between GalaxyS2 (SGH-I777) & AT&T GalaxyS2?

I thought they were the same thing.  How am I suppose to tell them apart? The main reason is Clockworkmod has different versions available and I don't want to flash the incorrect ROM.

#2 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

As far as I know, the "Galaxy S2" is the international version, whereas the AT&T Galaxy S2 is one that was made specifically for AT&T. But I don't know how to verify which phone you have.

But according to your profile, you have listed that you have the SCH-I897, which is the AT&T version of the original Galaxy S (called the Captivate), not the S2.

#3 BitZerOne

BitZerOne
  • Members
  • 2 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Samsung GalaxyS2 (AT&T)
  • CM Version:
    CM9
  • Recovery Image:
    Stock

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

View Postbassmadrigal, on 04 May 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

As far as I know, the "Galaxy S2" is the international version, whereas the AT&T Galaxy S2 is one that was made specifically for AT&T. But I don't know how to verify which phone you have.

But according to your profile, you have listed that you have the SCH-I897, which is the AT&T version of the original Galaxy S (called the Captivate), not the S2.

Wrong phone in the profile, I've updated that.  From this link http://en.wikipedia...._.28SGH-I777.29 It says they are the same.  The GT-I9100G is the international version so I'm still confused.

The sticker under my phone says:
MODEL: SGH-I777
FCC ID: A3LSGHI777

On the front near the speaker is the AT&T logo

In Clockwork this is how they two are listed:
  • Samsung AT&T GalaxyS2
  • Samsung GalaxyS2 (SGH-I777)
Seems odd to two builds for the same phone. Is the first choice possibly the SGH-I727 which is the LTE version?

Edited by BitZerOne, 04 May 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#4 bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal
  • Administrators
  • 12912 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    Nexus 4
  • CM Version:
    10.2 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    TWRP

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

As best as I can tell, your last sentence is probably correct. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure. Maybe some searching on the xda forums would help you out (they have separate forums for those two phones).

#5 Monotremata

Monotremata
  • Members
  • 11 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:17 AM

No its not correct its the same phone. The 727 is the Skyrocket. Different phone completely different hardware and has nothing to do with the 777 other then sharing the Galaxy S family name. Read the change logs the device name was changed back in march when official nightlies started being built.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Edited by Monotremata, 10 May 2012 - 05:20 AM.

#6 leo9891

leo9891
  • Members
  • 24 posts
    us - United States
  • Device Model:
    SGS2 (SGH-i777)
  • CM Version:
    CM9 Nightlies
  • Recovery Image:
    ClockworkMod

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

View PostBitZerOne, on 04 May 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

So before I go and get the latest nightly for CM9 have an odd question, what is the difference between GalaxyS2 (SGH-I777) & AT&T GalaxyS2?

I thought they were the same thing.  How am I suppose to tell them apart? The main reason is Clockworkmod has different versions available and I don't want to flash the incorrect ROM.

The AT&T SGS2 and the SGH-i777 ARE THE SAME PHONE.

If you were looking at the CyanogenMod Downloads Database, the AT&T SGS2 is CM7, and the SGH-i777 is CM9.

Thats the only difference. They will have different Kernels, which in turn should have different CWM Recoveries depending which CM Update you have flashed.

Last time I Flashed a CM Update, it overwrote my Siyah Kernel (CWMTouch Recovery) and returned it back to CWM Recovery.

So if you Flashed the latest CM Update, you should have the latest CWM installed already.

Edited by leo9891, 15 June 2012 - 05:27 AM.

#7 vraman0601

vraman0601
  • Members
  • 4 posts
    in - India
  • Device Model:
    Captivate on AT&T
  • CM Version:
  • Recovery Image:
    Cyanogen

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostBitZerOne, on 04 May 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

If you are looking to flash for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 then use the SGH i777 phone cm -modwork otherwise your back button stops working.